Why become a member? ×

The red light never lies

lownote

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I think if you really analyse them, the tempo of most tracks that weren’t recorded with a click probably wandered to a degree. The fact that it’s mostly irrelevant probably speaks volumes. 

Space Truckin' is an epic recording.

I just kept getting out of synch with the bass or drums and wanted to find out why, and it seems the reason is they drift apart on the record.

I'd be interested if someone can independently confirm it as I'm no expert...

On 01/02/2021 at 16:24, lownote12 said:

Anyone else discovered that while recording yourself can be fun and helpful it can also be deeply depressing, revealing that what you thought was your totally tight pocket is actually a shallow bomb crater?  

Yep, spent almost 30mins trying to nail the intro to Town Called Malice earlier this week (not played bass for 6 months), ended up editing the notes afterwards in Cubase to make me sound good 😁

Ive been playing it for years, never thought i had a problem until i tried to record it.

• Like 1

I have recorded myself on and off for decades; cassettes, minidisc, Mp3 and, of course, recording studios. The biggest problem I have is that, as I am primarily a Jazzers, I am improvising most of the time. As a result, almost every recording I have of me has mistakes in it, some minor, some colossal. A clean take always feels like a 'kin miracle to me. 

The transcription thing is a revelation, though. So many mistakes on recordings I have listened to sometimes for decades and haven't noticed. 

Edited by Bilbo

That's a revelation Bilbo, I feel better already.  I tend to lean the other way happier to read, one of the first recordings we did back last May was ( Where or when).  but with a chord chart for the bass, and even though I am sort of comfortable busking around chord charts in a concert or jam situation where any blunders are gone, never to be heard again. There is no way I could get through a four minute chart making split second decisions on note choice whilst recording. So I sat and worked out a bass line and wrote the whole thing out and then, just about got away with it.😅 

• Thanks 1

I record quite a lot, normally in a solo style, writing, singing, playing and recording - as many on here do.

I find it really hard to be objective - so in a way the recording does lie to me:

On one listen I'll think "Wow, this is brilliant" and another listen I'll think "God, this is rubbish" I guess the the truth is somewhere between.... but where?

• Like 2