Why become a member? ×

advice needed please

plaaty

hi,

Ive been trawling the bay looking at basses, there's a couple I like but don't know much about them, if anyone could offer any thoughts it would be grrrreat!

the ones I've seen are:

there's a few Yamaha's - RBX350, RBX270, RBX374,RBX4 A2

a couple of Ibanez - SR300, SR500E

an Aria Pro ii SB ii

Thanks

Id be using it for learning and home practice and maybe the odd jam session in time, Ive currently got an old Stagg 5 string which I was given in bits, I like the Stagg but would like to get a 4 string. 

I don't have too much preference at the moment for music style so am looking for something flexible, I like the bass from bands like earth wind and fire and loads of other stuff!

I likes the SR's mine is 2010...

Recomend ya check out the Ibanez Site, and the archive catalogues on the support pages for spec...

SR Barts are Split Coil in a Soapbar... So reverse P... Bit P bit PJ... eBay one @£400 is 2018

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr600_07.html

http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/ibanez/catalog/2018EU.pdf

The RD looks more 'Rayesque shape and with a Music Man style Bucker at the bridge, Maybe Jazz style but poss stack wound bucker at the front.

2005eu_20.jpg

eBay one Maybe 2015 from serial number

Dont spose ya fancy a spot of Strange? Ibby EDA900?

20201209_175531_resized.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug

The Bartolinis in the SR500E are not split-coil humbuckers, they're the newer BH2, full-length humbuckers.

MK1 Bartolinis is what Ibanez used for a long-long time in the SR500 (no E).

The SR500E also has a new active/passive switch, which the SR500 did not.

Personally, I like the PowerSpan pickups in the SR300E, SR400EQM, SR370E

However, any of the aforementioned will have dodgy machine-heads, IME

Ever since Carol Kaye parted company with Ibanez (2011), they've been putting chintzy machine-heads on all the Standard Soundgears.

No big deal, you can get GOTOH Res-O-Lites that are drop-in replacements & they'll even take some Mass away from the headstock.

Hiddens gems are the old SR eXtreme (SRX). Carol Kaye still uses one today:

screen-shot-2017-02-28-at-8-53-50-pm-png

If you can find one pre-owned, they are likely the best value-for-money out there!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, plaaty said:

any thoughts on an  Ibanez Road gear RD900FM 

or an SR600

The RD900 to me is one of the coolest and most versatile basses Ibanez has ever made, and was Ibanez' answer to the Lakland and Music Man basses with that same pickup configuration. Great neck, and some pretty high-end features like the Seymour Duncan pickups and a brass bridge. I would love one if they had done lefty versions of these, but alas... 

7 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The Bartolinis in the SR500E are not split-coil humbuckers, they're the newer BH2, full-length humbuckers.

MK1 Bartolinis is what Ibanez used for a long-long time in the SR500 (no E).

The SR500E also has a new active/passive switch, which the SR500 did not.

Personally, I like the PowerSpan pickups in the SR300E, SR400EQM, SR370E

However, any of the aforementioned will have dodgy machine-heads, IME

Ever since Carol Kaye parted company with Ibanez (2011), they've been putting chintzy machine-heads on all the Standard Soundgears.

No big deal, you can get GOTOH Res-O-Lites that are drop-in replacements & they'll even take some Mass away from the headstock.

Hiddens gems are the old SR eXtreme (SRX). Carol Kaye still uses one today:

screen-shot-2017-02-28-at-8-53-50-pm-png

If you can find one pre-owned, they are likely the best value-for-money out there!

This amazes me. Perhaps she can coax a smoother, fatter tone out of it.

I had an SRX700, much like the one Carol Kaye is sporting above. Whilst it was my main gigging bass for a good while (and some the recordings made thereof are hilarious), I eventually moved it on.

The woodwork is superb,  they're not too heavy, the balance is fine and the neck super-slim.

The pickups and electronics just sounded unrefined. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it just felt like it wanted to have Rage Against the Machine played on it all the time!

Maybe I play too hard with the instrument volume all the way up into too low a gain setting, I don't know. 

It got replaced by an EDB600 which broke and that by an EDB605, which are more restrained.

The wild child of the gang is now a Warwick Infinity SN4, but that can be calmed down in a way I never could with the SRX.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

9 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

This amazes me. Perhaps she can coax a smoother, fatter tone out of it.

I had an SRX700, much like the one Carol Kaye is sporting above. Whilst it was my main gigging bass for a good while (and some the recordings made thereof are hilarious), I eventually moved it on.

The woodwork is superb,  they're not too heavy, the balance is fine and the neck super-slim.

The pickups and electronics just sounded unrefined. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it just felt like it wanted to have Rage Against the Machine played on it all the time!

Maybe I play too hard with the instrument volume all the way up into too low a gain setting, I don't know. 

Carol uses a mute, you can see the tape holding it on right behind her hand.

She famously played a p-bass with flats with a plectrum in her recording days.