Why become a member? ×

BEAD Tuning on a four string

Oldman

Guys, I’m looking at downsizing from fivers to fours, trouble is, I like the low B hence BEAD tuning. I’m not sure my ‘88 Thumb NT four will accomodate this tuning, any  experiences in this field? Also I will need an unlined fretless four to complement my reduction in strings, any experiences on conversion with a new ish bass Bolt on or NT?

I anticipated doing this a few years ago when I also owned an ‘89 NT Fretless Thumb so bought two Justanut 5 string width nut screws, never did it sold the Fretless, still have the nut screws.

Thanks for looking

Your 88 Thumb has the brass adjust-a-nut 1 with the rotating brass screws? It should be fine. With a Warwick you're more likely to find an issue with the B string fitting the bridge as the ball-end wraps on non-tapered strings can be too wide for the narrow slot in the bridge anchor, so try a B from a Warwick set initially.

Low B will be considerably lower tension than the G it is replacing, so you may need to slacken off the truss rod. 

Loose feeling B is down to the gauge of the string and construction of the bass. IME neck through is always better for low B compared with bolt-on construction, and going slightly heavier on the B always helps (don't worry you have to go extremely heavy on the gauge before it's a higher tension than typical G). You will need to experiment with string types before find the right ones for you and your bass. Warwick Black Label suit me very well but my bass is quite a bit different to your Warwick.

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Low B will be considerably lower tension than the G it is replacing, so you may need to slacken off the truss rod. 

The B will be replacing the E, ah, just sussed it, I’m removing the G 🤗 yes I can slacken the truss rod.

• Like 1

I'm playing with this at the moment on my HB MP4-EB, but with strings that are a bit too light (lowest 0.120"). A 5-string set is on the way and could even be here tomorrow, so I'll set it up properly then. I don't know how good a tone I'm going to get on a 34" scale, I'd really prefer something longer, but we'll see. This bass has a zero fret, so the nut shouldn't be critical.

Yeah I’ve done this on a Sandberg VM with great results. Just check your truss rod, adjust the nut width as necessary, opt for a tapered b string set and you’ll be good. I really enjoyed having the bead set up and it makes a lot of sense for many folk.