Why become a member? ×

New Epifani Cabs

chris_b

[quote name='tauzero' post='440416' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:13 PM']Yes. It has 150 unusually powerful watts inside it, which is equivalent to 250 of the normal watts you find in most other amplifiers, and 400 of the slightly feeble imitation watts you find in Behringers. They are getting celebrity endorsement for it from Normal Watts-Roy, who is changing his name to Unusually Powerful Watts-Roy in honour of the amplifier.[/quote]
I do remember one poster who claimed his watts were louder than everyone else's.

[quote name='tauzero' post='440416' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:13 PM']Yes. It has 150 unusually powerful watts inside it, which is equivalent to 250 of the normal watts you find in most other amplifiers, and 400 of the slightly feeble imitation watts you find in Behringers. They are getting celebrity endorsement for it from Normal Watts-Roy, who is changing his name to Unusually Powerful Watts-Roy in honour of the amplifier.[/quote]
[quote name='bass_ferret' post='440519' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:18 PM']I do remember one poster who claimed his watts were louder than everyone else's.[/quote]

my amplifier just has one great big f**k-off watt in it. ^_^
equivalent to 250 normal watts of course. :)

Back on topic, it seems like Epifani have created a solution for people who only know enough about electronics to not know what they're doing. My guess is, it will be very popular in America.
I wonder what their next "innovation" will be? A [s]VU[/s] "power usage" meter built into the cab?

[quote name='escholl' post='440542' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:46 PM']my amplifier just has one great big f**k-off watt in it. ^_^
equivalent to 250 normal watts of course. :)

Back on topic, it seems like Epifani have created a solution for people who only know enough about electronics to not know what they're doing. My guess is, it will be very popular in America.
I wonder what their next "innovation" will be? A [s]VU[/s] "power usage" meter built into the cab?[/quote]

I bet they're weeing themselves over on Talkbs

This was discussed a lot when the Accuswitch was a hot topic.

IIRC the Tech cabs used the same multiple coil system so its not as new as Epifani claim. Its not nonsense but its the answer to a problem that for most people does not exist. As comes up frequently on this forum lots of players chase watts when they should be chasing SPL if they want to be louder. Adding cabs is a much more efficient way of increasing SPL than turning down the impedance of your cabs. If you must have one cab then why would you want to turn the impedence up to get less power when the volume knob can do it just as well.

As for the technical aspects speakers work by putting electricity through a coil that sits in a magnet. Moving a coil in a magnet generates electricity so its not just a question of switching the coils off, its got to be done in such a way that the electricity generated does not affect the operation and sound of the drivers.

It will be interesting to see how much this adds to the price of a cab.

I always figured the only point in using the impedance switch would be when you're adding cabs.

Does it not mean that you're continually running it so your cab(s) are always drawing the same power from the amp (or similar, at least)? Isn't that a good thing? My tech can handle something silly like 500w, whereas my LittleMark250 only puts out 250w. Until I get that elusive well-priced-Tech210-fantasy of using two stackable cabs, I can still draw the full juice.

I only use one cab, and I'm more than happy with the setup for now, but I like the option of the switching and its not like I paid extra for the privilege. I was after a high-handling 1x15 that was light. The Tech was my number 1 choice.

Dan

[quote name='Chris V.' post='441069' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:46 PM']Let's say I get one of these new Epifani amps and in my bedroom I have the switch set to 8 ohms but when I need more watts at a gig I switch it to 4 ohms - would I be louder or not?[/quote]

That depends on whether or not your amp could push your cab to full excursion at 8 ohms, which takes less than 150W with a typical premium neo 12" (like the OEM DeltaLite II used by Epifani) and less than 75W with the same breed of neo 10"s. So there would be a useful difference with a 300W @ 8 ohm, 500W @ 4 ohm head into a DIST 6x10". Smaller cab or bigger amp and the only advantage is psychological.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='441108' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:55 PM']....That depends on whether or not your amp could push your cab to full excursion....[/quote]
I've seen reviews reporting that an amp running at 4 ohms can put out a fuller tone than when it's running at 8 ohms. If that is the case then there could be benefits other than volume when using a 4 ohm cab.

[quote name='chris_b' post='441148' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:42 PM']I've seen reviews reporting that an amp running at 4 ohms can put out a fuller tone than when it's running at 8 ohms. If that is the case then there could be benefits other than volume when using a 4 ohm cab.[/quote]

I've seen similar comments but none of them make any sense. Impedance is nowhere near constant, varying hugely across the frequency range. Here's a plot for a car sub - a ported nominal 4 ohm bass cab would have a similar plot though the twin resonant peaks would about an octave higher and would probably peak at an even higher impedance due to the typical driver characteristics:

An amp that sounds fuller into a 4 ohm load would surely sound thinner around the resonant peaks where impedance goes so far above nominal?

Also the B&O class D modules in most of the new micro-amps may put out more power according to their ratings into a 4 ohm load than an 8 ohm load but in sustained power tests these modules can deliver about twice as much power into 8 ohms as into 4 ohms because into the lower impedance load they run into lack of current supply and overheating problems more quickly.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='441163' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:22 PM']I've seen similar comments but none of them make any sense.[/quote]

Agreed. I'd put it down to psychoacoustics (in the sense of, people will often hear what they want to) and/or reviewers talking b*****ks.

[quote name='chris_b' post='441148' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:42 PM']I've seen reviews reporting that an amp running at 4 ohms can put out a fuller tone than when it's running at 8 ohms. If that is the case then there could be benefits other than volume when using a 4 ohm cab.[/quote]

Back in the day, weren't there alleged benefits to running an amp at 8 ohms instead of 4?

[quote name='The Funk' post='441471' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:55 AM']Back in the day, weren't there alleged benefits to running an amp at 8 ohms instead of 4?[/quote]

I'm sure I was told I would be better off running my Firebass at 4 ohm rather than 2. Might have been a heat thing though.

With a solid state amp, running at a higher impedance means there's less current going through the amp. Current is what makes the amp get hot, and heat is what kills components and soldered connections.

If you're having to thrash your amp at full power into the lowest impedance cabs possible, you need a more powerful amp, or more sensitive speakers. Or just more speakers :)

A

[quote name='Alien' post='442059' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:05 PM']With a solid state amp, running at a higher impedance means there's less current going through the amp. Current is what makes the amp get hot, and heat is what kills components and soldered connections.

If you're having to thrash your amp at full power into the lowest impedance cabs possible, you need a more powerful amp, or more sensitive speakers. Or just more speakers :)

A[/quote]

Know what happens if you think like that?

This:

Actually its partly my rig, I own half the 8x10 and half the Traynor, but I'm trading some other stuff I have for the rest of the 8x10. The rest of it belongs to another Basschatter, although in our latest live pics you can see me using most of it.

Edit:

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='The Funk' post='442120' date='Mar 22 2009, 11:57 PM']Please tell me that's your rig.[/quote]

Thats my rig. Although, as mentioned we are sharing the 8x10 and Traynor as we also share a flat, a rehearsal room and a drummer. It's nice but clearly totally unnecessary. Get a better sound with just my two Aguilars really. Just not quite as impressive to look at. :)