Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan - Technique with no soul?

saibuster

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='441324' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:56 PM']Its a performance, its a show, its ROCK 'N' ROLL! :rolleyes: its amazing to watch! :)[/quote]

+1 got to agree with you Zoe. Last time I saw Billy he was playing with Vai. They did the "lets play each others guitars" trick that they do, crap description, but you know what I'm on about. Truly amazing to watch.

[quote name='Johngh' post='441332' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:03 PM']+1 got to agree with you Zoe. Last time I saw Billy he was playing with Vai. They did the "lets play each others guitars" trick that they do, crap description, but you know what I'm on about. Truly amazing to watch.[/quote]

+1

I really can't listen to Vai's music on record, but the first time I saw him live (well, it was primarily to see Sheehan live) was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. For me, you can be as self-indulgent and technical as you want, but if you perform with energy, flair and passion, it's going to be entertaining for me.

Might have been the same tour as when you saw them? It was Vai, Sheehan, McAlpine and Donati - amazing band.

I'm sure a lot of people in the audience were tech-heads, counting notes, but for me, it was just a great performance by a bunch of guys having a lot of fun.

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='441330' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:02 PM']Just looks like a pair of egos to me.[/quote]
S'pose I put a NOFX vid on...and said it was 4 talentless c**ts,that are 'Packaged rebellion'....Could you discern the absurdity of both statements...?

I love it when people decry anything where education or hard experience makes it unique.

You might not want to do it,Billy's style of play,but its different,it challenges convention....it still provokes divide and opinion 25..near 30 years after he first came to light upon music....

Isnt that a far far more...a greater musical and social statement...isnt it a darned sight more 'punk' than another syncopated mechanically created 'modern' ska band?

[quote name='geilerbass' post='441345' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:13 PM']+1

I really can't listen to Vai's music on record, but the first time I saw him live (well, it was primarily to see Sheehan live) was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. For me, you can be as self-indulgent and technical as you want, but if you perform with energy, flair and passion, it's going to be entertaining for me.

Might have been the same tour as when you saw them? It was Vai, Sheehan, McAlpine and Donati - amazing band.

I'm sure a lot of people in the audience were tech-heads, counting notes, but for me, it was just a great performance by a bunch of guys having a lot of fun.[/quote]

Seen Steve Vai with sheehan 3 times, 1 of those times being G3 with Joe Satrinai, and Robert Fripp. Other 2 (Vai, Sheehan, Colson, Weiner and mcalpine) they were supported by Eric Sardinas, now theres one POWERFUL 3 piece band! amazing!

But yeah, Vai and Sheehan together are just unbelievable! well they are the Power Twins after all!

Duels are just very entertaining to watch, of course its showing off! but why not if you can? haha

Z
x

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='441375' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:58 PM']Seen Steve Vai with sheehan 3 times, 1 of those times being G3 with Joe Satrinai, and Robert Fripp. Other 2 (Vai, Sheehan, Colson, Weiner and mcalpine) they were supported by Eric Sardinas, now theres one POWERFUL 3 piece band! amazing!

But yeah, Vai and Sheehan together are just unbelievable! well they are the Power Twins after all!

Duels are just very entertaining to watch, of course its showing off! but why not if you can? haha

Z
x[/quote]

I saw them on that G3 tour - at the Albert Hall. Was good, but not as good as Vai's solo show, simply because Satriani and Fripp weren't anywhere near as entertaining as Team Vai. And they did the G3 jam with Satriani's band, rather than Vai's.

The first time I saw Vai, Eric Sardinas supported - he was a beast! Did his playing in the crowd thing from what I recall. Just a fantastic gig all round.

I also saw Sheehan a couple of times with just Virgil Donati and Tony McAlpine. Awesome stuff, but obviously, Mr Big would be THE show to see...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='441330' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:02 PM']Just looks like a pair of egos to me.[/quote]

There's ego with all players....no matter who we are or what we're playing, we all want to do our thing.

billy's playing is more suited to the guitar??

billy was tapping and shredding in the early 70's - gimme a list of guitarists who were...Eddie Van Halen says Billy was his main influence when learning to tap and shred!

billy is a great guy and certainly does his best to please his fans. so his playing might not suit all neither does every other impresario out there - horses for courses folks but to have that style, ability and technique in your armoury well....

andy

[quote name='bassbloke' post='442455' date='Mar 23 2009, 02:21 PM']Utterly pointless comment.[/quote]

It's always the same when a topic mentions "The dusty end"....like it's some sort of taboo and you'll be cursed if you venture there.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='442455' date='Mar 23 2009, 02:21 PM']Utterly pointless comment.[/quote]
No, there was a point to it, whether you agree with it or not. Your comment, on the other hand.......

Edited by stevie

[quote name='andy67' post='442326' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:56 AM']Eddie Van Halen says Billy was his main influence when learning to tap and shred![/quote]
Would you like to point us to a source for that statement? It seems extremely unlikely to me, but I'm willing to be convinced.

[quote name='andy67' post='442326' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:56 AM']Eddie Van Halen says Billy was his main influence when learning to tap and shred![/quote]

Are you sure?
I swear i've seen Billy in an interview where hes said that his tapping etc was influenced by Eddie Van Halen, not the other way round.
and he toyed around with the idea of transferring the techniques to bass.

:) Z
x

It feels like a bit of a 'mess' about this Billy Sheehan [i]thing[/i]..

I mean, when it comes to [i]guitards[/i]....... ok ok, and bassists, who do all that damn [i]shredding-tapping-slapping[/i] typo thing, we call them 'w***ers, who can't make any [i]music [/i]outta it' and such, but, when it comes to Sheehan - oh, look, he's God.. :)

Or am I'm [i]simply [/i]missing something there?

No matter what, I'll get my coat whenever you ask :rolleyes:

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='442667' date='Mar 23 2009, 05:02 PM']It feels like a bit of a 'mess' about this Billy Sheehan [i]thing[/i]..

I mean, when it comes to [i]guitards[/i]....... ok ok, and bassists, who do all that damn [i]shredding-tapping-slapping[/i] typo thing, we call them 'w***ers, who can't make any [i]music [/i]outta it' and such, but, when it comes to Sheehan - oh, look, he's God.. :)

No matter what, I'll get my coat whenever you ask :rolleyes:[/quote]

Good call sir.

[quote]No, there was a point to it, whether you agree with it or not. Your comment, on the other hand.......[/quote]

Cheers Steve, I never said it was fact I was just expressing my opinion which is the whole point of a forum.

[quote name='Faithless' post='442667' date='Mar 23 2009, 05:02 PM']It feels like a bit of a 'mess' about this Billy Sheehan [i]thing[/i]..

Because,bar the Vai vs Bill dramatics,which is what the crowd who wanna see that sort of thing pay for,Billy actually puts his style of play into something that fits...
90% of Mr Big Lps were straight forward,route 1 Rock Bassplaying,His work with Diamond DLR...His work on the G3 tours...Guess what..pretty much straight forward rock Bassplaying...played well,in time,in tune.....kinda what most of do in our bands,and he's getting paid for it too....

I dont see how people can shout "EGO" when they see a solo by a Bassist...Thats such a backward way of thinking.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='442218' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:19 AM']Agreed but when the ego takes over the music then it becomes cringeworthy.[/quote]
As would laziness.

What is ego...being capable of doing something someone else cant do?

I doubt ,but maybe, you listen to Wagner,or Mozart Wayne but those guys were WAYYY worse than any Madonna figure or R'N'B rap artist for demands and social retardation..

But they could walk it like they talked it....Thats why they stand the test of time,Jamerson was a mentalist,but without him we wouldnt have half of what we have now musically as Bassists.....Sheehan is part of that,pushing our instrument forward.

I bet Sheehan's a way nicer guy,than a ton of us on here as a person,I really went off him when I found out the 'Scientology' thing was part of his makeup,but thats his choice,and he does not ram it down throats unlike some....And if you actually (AND THIS GOES FOR ALL THE CHILDREN READING) watch AND LISTEN to the vids that Bills talking upon,trying to explain his style of play as best he can,rather than childish 'Oh my god 80s hair' comments...you might ...just might ....actually learn something about theory,technique, or musicality you didnt know of before.

Yes, he does do that.
but have you sat back and listened to him? mr big? talas? his solo stuff? David lee roth?
It is truely amazing what he can do, it isnt 'musicless' crap
you should hear some of the stuff he plays, it couldnt be much more musical to be honest!

Z
x

Edits: Typos

Edited by Zoe_BillySheehan

Billy says he got his first tapping influence from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top- he mentions that in the Bass secrets or On bass video- he saw BG bend a note up, then hammer on with his right hand.
he got the idea for false harmonics from BG too.
also there's a solo from his Talas days in which he plays Eddie Van Halen's intro to "meanstreet", so i reckon EVH was an influence on him, not the other way round.