Why become a member? ×

Bent rick tuner

bumnote

Any advice please.

How can I get the tuning key straightened without cracking the chrome?

Does anyone know who made the tuner. Its from a Rickenbacker 4001 C64 so its not the normal type tuner. Rick resource told me they  cant be bought and despite buying a new real Rick bass I get no response from Rick themselves so if I could find who made it i might be able to beg for a spare.

Thanks

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

Ouch!

Have you tried straightening?  The reason I ask is that if bending it didn’t crack the chrome......

Alternatively could it be dismantled, straightened, and rechromed?  (Possibly not, though, as it seems to be riveted together.)

That's a shame.

It looks from the pics as if it is the base of the cloverleaf that has taken most of the stress. If a direct replacement of the whole tuner cannot be sourced, maybe try to see if another cloverleaf could be inserted and re-riveted. 

Good luck and keep us posted, please.

I think it should be possible to drill out the rivet from the non-head side. Cautious use of a rubber or nylon headed hammer should suffice to flatten the cloverleaf. The chrome plating will not withstand blows from a steel head hammer.

I’m a bit stumped about where and how to get it riveted, again.

Drill the rivet. Use pieces of wood on both sides and put the bent end of the leaf to a vise. Use the vise to bend the leaf slowly to shape. Use some tiny screw (and a nut) to set the leaf back to the axle.

You can also make a thread to the axle if you have proper tools and a suitable screw.

I've managed to straighten a bent Fender cloverleaf tuner with Mole grips. Clamp the shaft in a small vice, protect the face of the clover leaf with thin card, clamp on the Mole and gently bend it straight. Best to ignore the advice above that includes the word "hammer", imho.

• Like 1

Give it a go straightening... remove the peg from the housing first...

Any motorcycle machine type engineering shops your way?

Hold the leaf in a vice with soft jaws, bit of tube over the pin, maybe a lick of heat may help?

Nothing realy to lose, if you had to get a replacement any howz... CD Guitars or WD Music?

Edited by PaulThePlug