Jabba_the_gut

27" Short Scale 5 String

I've made a couple of 4 string mini basses which I'm really pleased with so the time has come to make a 5 string version! It is going to have the same body shape as the previous build but just be a little wider to accommodate the extra string. I'm thinking of the 5th string being high rather than low - I've tried a low string on the previous basses just to see what it was like and I don't think it was quite defined enough. I will try a couple of different things before I make the final decision.

Going for a more minimal look in terms of wood finish this time. The body will be ash (nearly quarter sawn), plain maple for the neck and padauk for the fretboard. Hardware will be chrome for this one.

I've made a start, cut the templates for neck and body and headstock. I've also cut and trimmed the body.

yi7yzkN.jpg

eFUxPqv.jpg

I've also got a body left from a previous mini bass that I have veneered the top with maple and cherry layers but haven't decided what it will become yet!!

Hdxwr2I.jpg

wa8gbO5.jpg

This will be another slow build as I've got loads of jobs to do around the house.......

• Like 8

Fancy wood is great, but there is something very honest about that straight grained cut (almost quartersawn - like I knew). Sometimes less truly is more.