ProfJames

Kramer Duke headless.............

Anyone on the forum that owns one?  Was maybe thinking of getting one as my headless bass acquisition 

Would't want to put you off if your heart is set on it but you're losing a bit of the joy of headless by not having straight pull tuners. Bit like the Warwick Nobby Meidl (sp?) bass.

I've got a red one that I was willing to let go.

Please PM me if you're interested. 😉

12 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Would't want to put you off if your heart is set on it but you're losing a bit of the joy of headless by not having straight pull tuners. Bit like the Warwick Nobby Meidl (sp?) bass.

I've seen a Kramer Duke and wasn't that put off to be honest.  Should I be aware of thus issue?  It's purely a luxury buy for me, aluminium neck and short scale.  

If you are set on a Kramer The Duke there are a few things to be aware of.

1. Make sure the one you buy is actually a Kramer. There's a visually very close copy in the Hondo Alien. However no every Hondo version has an aluminium neck and the hardware quality is very poor. The easiest way to see it's a proper Kramer is to check the neck plate where it will say so.  Also the string retainer at the end of the neck only has a single bolt holding it in place on the Kramer and 2 on the Hondo. The Hondo also has a wooden fingerboard, while the Kramer has an ebonal one. Don't be conned by unscrupulous sellers. There were no exceptions, if it doesn't have all the Kramer features it isn't one.

2. Be aware that even the Kramer version is a bit of a bodge. Kramer made the bass headless by simply sawing the headstock off their standard aluminium neck. It has guitar type machine heads rather than bass ones and the string path between them and the bridge saddles is somewhat conveluted. Also the hardware used on the Kramer models, while being decent quality, varies from one example to the next. I'd make sure that you get one with the Schaller 3D bridge and Schaller machine heads.

Because they are now old and no longer in production the prices are somewhat inflated over what would be expected of a bass of similar quality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a Kramer Aluminium neck fan I thought I'd chip in.

I played a Duke a good few years back at a shop on denmark street.

The tone was really good!

Very full and capable of serious attack.

It was not a light weight bass by any means, but I and the friend I was shopping with were both very tempted by it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If you are set on a Kramer The Duke there are a few things to be aware of.

Top knowledge. 

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Kramer made the bass headless by simply sawing the headstock off their standard aluminium neck.

Now that's what I call Old School.

31 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

"Angry luthier reacts badly to criticism"

• Haha 2

Thank you all, appreciate your knowledge.  The guy I bought my Magnum from is selling it............will let you know

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

All the Kramer aluminium bass guitar necks start off the same. They simply slotted the finger board differently for the different scale-lengths - 20 frets for 34" scale and 24 frets for 30" scale, and removed the "tuning fork" head for The Duke.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

All the Kramer aluminium bass guitar necks start off the same. They simply slotted the finger board differently for the different scale-lengths - 20 frets for 34" scale and 24 frets for 30" scale, and removed the "tuning fork" head for The Duke.

You mean 33 3/4". 😉

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

You mean 33 3/4". 😉

TBH since I don't have any of my Kramer aluminium-necked basses anymore I can't comment.

To the OP any chance you can post some good photos of this instrument?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Status09
      REDUCED TO £460
      Selling an INCREDIBLE 2013 Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass with the sought after 30” short scale length in beautiful trans White Blonde with a 3 Ply Tort Pickguard, P/J configuration Pickups, Rosewood fretboard and a Fender Hi Mass Bridge. 

Only around 200 of these were Made in China in 2013 so grab a beautiful example of a rare, amazing sounding and easy to play Fender Modern Player Jazz that’s a little different because of its shorter 30” scale length (like a Mustang bass), and the incredible sounding P/J pickup configuration.

Bass is in fantastic condition with only one slight ding on the back of the headstock (pictured below the serial number), a slight scratch on the back of the neck (doesn’t affect feel or playability at all) and there are two holes in the scratch plate if you wanted to insert a thumb-rest / tug bar as is quite popular on a lot of basses these days.

The high gloss urethane lacquer over the white blonde finish really is phenomenal - the photos just don’t show how clear the wood grain shows through the lacquer! This was a common finish (in different colours) on many of the Fender American Deluxe series of bases in the late 90’s / early 00’s.

The P/J pickup configuration provides classic, punchy tones having the best of both, and the short scale length makes this bass perfect for live and recording. 
      It’s a much more versatile bass (IMO) than the Fender JMJ signature bass or any other Mustang Bass / Short Scale Fender because of the versatile pickup configuration, and it’s ideal for any player who prefers a lighter weighing bass (great for those who play longer gigs!) 

The scale = Short Scale, 30" (762 mm), according to official Fender specs.

The Fender high mass bridge provides more contact to the body, increasing sustain and enabling perfect intonation with the adjustable bridge saddles.

It comes with a one piece 3-ply tortoiseshell pickguard that also replaces the chrome control plate on standard Jazz basses - a nice touch aesthetically.
      The bass has been fully set up, cleaned and intonated ready for the new owner. 
      Full specs can be seen here: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-modern-player-short-scale-jazz-bass-white-blonde/100117

Bass doesn’t come with a gig bag or case unfortunately. 

Cash on Collection ONLY (WON'T BE POSTING) from North Greenwich in South East London, adhering to social distancing rules, thought I may be able to deliver depending on your location (I travel to the Midlands quite frequently).

If you would like any more photos or information please don’t hesitate to get in touch! 

VIDEO: 

• By BTGAndy
      It's with a heavy heart I'm selling my beautiful, custom ACG 6-String bass. Specific details of this instrument can be found on the ACG website (https://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0270salceetype6/)
      I've owned this bass since new, having seen Alan's amazing work whilst attending the Moffat bass bash and knew I had to have one of his instruments. Unfortunately it's not getting played as much as it deserves so I feel it needs to find a new home.
      Body:
      Top Wood: Figured Maple with Faded Black Finish.
      Body Wood: Swamp Ash with Dirty Finish.
      Body Finish: Satin Lacquer
      Neck:
      Neck Wood: 5 piece Wenge/Bubinga
      Finger Board: Acrylic Impregnated Spalted Maple
      Scale: 34″
      Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer
      Hardware:
      Pickups: ACG FB Humbuckers
      Hardware: ETS Tuning/Bridge unit ACG Custom Headpiece  Schaller Straplocks,
      Pre-amp: ACG/East P-Retro with 4-way rotary pickup selector.
      £1600, I will consider a part ex (up to £600 value) for the right bass, I do however need at least £1000 cash out of the sale. New, this bass would cost £2795. It's in fantastic condition and comes with a heavily padded Fusion gig bag. Collection from Newcastle upon Tyne, I'd really rather not post but will meet buyers a reasonable distance from Newcastle to facilitate a sale.
      This ad is a relist of the original, I have recently moved house and needed to update my location.

• By Giacomo
      A rare thru neck ACG Headless Harlot 5
      A1 Immiculate, as new condition. So a new ACG for half the price.
      We’re talking exotic wood for days here: sycamore, Asian ebony, Wenge, flamed maple and swamp ash.
      It has grub screws for use with normal strings if that’s what you want.
      Just fitted a brand new GLOCKENKLANG stacked 3 band Preamp, made huge improvement on the sound vs the previous John East Eq01. Super transparent 
      To commission it would cost in region of £3,000, although I’ve heard that Alan doesn’t now make thru necks.
      Perfectly low action, blue fibre optic dots on the side of the neck (which I found a lot better for use on a dark stage than the brighter LEDs that are common) plays like a dream and has plenty of punch.
      The fretboard is zero radius and the neck is asymmetrical (slightly thinner on the G side and thicker at the E). Unorthodox but I’m never consciously aware of it and find it very comfy: the neck plays itself.

34-inch scale
      Swamp Ash body core
      Asian Ebony top/veneer.
      Thru 5 piece flame maple/wenge neck
      Acrylic Flame Sycamore neck – no dots
      Dual Action trussrod
      Carbon neck rods
      Blue LED via fiber-optic side dots
      Black hardware
      Hipshot Ultralite Tuners.
      Hipshot Type A bridge - 18mm spacing
      ACG String anchor
      RFB humbucker bridge pick-up with coil switching
      RFB Single coil neck pick-up

• By Embra
      Price drop: £1800
      A Serek Midwestern short scale (30.5 inch) with Dunlop flats and Jake's B90 pickup (passive). The bass weighs 3.2kg (7.05 lbs), balances well and is a ton of fun to play. The body is made of African mahogany (Khaya spp.) I'm selling it to fund my next Serek build. Current new price as specced is £2490. More details here: https://www.serekbasses.com/basses/midwestern/ 
      In Jake's words: "The Midwestern is a short-scale powerhouse that is compact in size, but does not lack in tone. Think P-bass meets EB-0. The Midwestern is made up of a lightweight Mahogany body and a 30.5″ scale Mahogany set neck making it effortless to play, and easy to travel with. Inspired by vintage Midwest-bred designs, this is our simplest and most utilitarian offering. However, updated with modern hardware and electronics as well as effortless playability, you won’t believe this is just a humble short scale bass!"
      Nut Width: 1 5/8″
      Nut Type: Bone
      Scale Length: 30.5″
      Frets: 20 Med/Wide Nickel
      Fingerboard Radius: 12-14″ Compound
      Body Thickness: 1 3/8″
      Overall Length: 40 5/8″
      Weight: 7 lbs
      Tuners: Hipshot Ultralite
      Bridge: Hipshot 2 Point Supertone
      Finish: Nitro Lacquer
      ORIENTATION: Righty FRETS: Fretted FINGERBOARD WOOD: Jatoba PICKUP: Serek B90  BODY FINISH (SEE SPECS SECTION FOR COLOR CHART): Solid Color Satin TV Yellow  PICKGUARD (HEAD BADGE WILL MATCH UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED): Brown Tortoise  TUNING KEYS: Lollipop STRINGS: Dunlop Flatwound  GIG BAG: Standard Gig Bag

• By Bass_Man_Baz
      for sale or trade 
      Not getting the playing time that it deserves, excellent bass that’s super comfortable to play with its 30.5” scale length, suits E-C but I have it set up with heavy gauge hex core boomers and played lovely in B-G as well,

The preamp is amazing, so versatile and great as a studio tool to get loads of tones, passive bypass gives a great natural tone as well. 

Here are the specs.
      body wood is Alder
      top wood is Eucalyptus burl which is stunning
      neck is Wenge and Ash
      Fingerboard is ACG’s signature acrylic impregnated Wenge for superior stability with luminescent inlays which glow on a dark stage.
      Weight is 8.01lbs
      Bridge pickup is the Acg SB single coil and the neck is the Acg FB humbucker
      preamp is the ACG DFM 5k/AP which is the full dual filter modular with push pull mid boost for both pickups, passive/active switch with tone roll off pot as well. 
      Hipshot hardware. 

there is 1 small blemish on the back behind the lower horn I’ll include a picture. 

comes with the original semi Hard shell case.

I will ship at buyers risk, I would prefer collection or I’m happy to drive up to 100 miles to meet up.