Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

7 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is 1990 old enough to be considered vintage? It feels that way for me 😂 there’s also basses such as Wal, Ken Smith but yes all boutique stuff. Nobody wants a ‘90 Fender 

Definitely not. I feel pre-1980 is vintage. On the other hand, I've felt that way since I started playing I guess, which is around 2000

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 04:16, OliverBlackman said:

Is 1990 old enough to be considered vintage? It feels that way for me 😂 there’s also basses such as Wal, Ken Smith but yes all boutique stuff. Nobody wants a ‘90 Fender 

30 years old is generally accepted as the point where a guitar can be called vintage.

• Like 1

Can't believe I've never shared this photo.

d4UG2Gf.jpg

1966 Jazz - refin (very old), refret, no case

1971 Precision - pretty old refin, refret, original case, no original covers

1970 Jazz - refret, refin, new pots, non-original case

Absolutely pretty bleedin' fantastic instruments, all three. The blue Jazz just got a big restoration (new frets, shim, new neck screw holes), the white one has the best neck I've ever played.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Can't believe I've never shared this photo.

d4UG2Gf.jpg

1966 Jazz - refin (very old), refret, no case

1971 Precision - pretty old refin, refret, original case, no original covers

1970 Jazz - refret, refin, new pots, non-original case

Absolutely pretty bleedin' fantastic instruments, all three. The blue Jazz just got a big restoration (new frets, shim, new neck screw holes), the white one has the best neck I've ever played.

P bass looks skinny at the nut, is it A or B neck or just looks that way because it’s behind the jazzes? I have a B width neck on my p bass and don’t think I could manage a C now.

1 minute ago, OliverBlackman said:

P bass looks skinny at the nut, is it A or B neck or just looks that way because it’s behind the jazzes? I have a B width neck on my p bass and don’t think I could manage a C now.

I lucked out and my first P was a 73 bitsa with an A neck. A Bravewood P came up here. It was a fabulous thing. It scratched all the same itches that my 66J did but I could never get comfy on it. I had never taken in the A/B/C nut width thing and it took me a few months to work it out. C widths are not for me!

https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/209/557/John-Entwistle-interest--1972-Fender-Precision-bass-guitar-made-in-USA-serial-no-376250

You would have hoped the auctioneers had looked at the image of Entwistle with the bass and figured out it obviously isn’t the same one. (Hint: look at the headstock).

• Haha 1