Why become a member? ×

Should I give up?

Today is a bad day. After 3 and a bit years with out playing. I finally get back into it. buy some new gear and put all my free time into brushing up my skills. Then after a year of writing and jamming it seems that 2 of the members of my so called band decide they don't have time to do it. I am gutted. I've worked so hard picking myself up after a very bad patch and have focused on playing original music again. and now, even though i have more on my plate then ever, i am the one being let down by people who i thought where going to get that spring back in my musical step.
Do i think "forget it" sell up and give up or should i just hold out for a pub covers band to turn up just for the sake of playing?

some one please slap me and point me in the right direction.

respectfully yours
Will '08457 90 90 90' Easton

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432868' date='Mar 12 2009, 08:59 PM']i want to play, i want to create with people and for people. always have done. im not in to this bedroom hero crap.[/quote]

bedroom hero crap? i play in a band, but that doesn't mean i dont enjoy sitting down and playing by myself.

No, don't give up - you'll only regret it.
Attack the "musicians wanted" boards in music shops, go to open mikes. If you can't find anyone suitable....keep looking. Get some recording software on your computer and write and record.

It's just a bad patch, it'll pick up :)

Cheers
Alun

Sheesh mate, get over it, thats the risk, try again.

The reward for me would be to play in a truly original band again and blow away a big crowd of people I've never met in a venue out of town with a bunch of other bands there too.

Only happened once to me before that I can remember (the important part being how original/different this band sounded to the generic stuff at the time) and that band folded two months later after 6 years work getting to that point...

Get back on the bike and keep on pedalling!

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432876' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:01 PM']i cant find anyone else. bassists are easy to find coz basses are easy to play! :)[/quote]
That's a bit defeatist. You're the one that wants to be in a band, if you can't be arsed to try and find some more band members then who's fault is that?

Don't give up -- replace the people in your band or move on.

I had a similar problem to yours in December, asked a similar question here and was encouraged to stick with it. I've now got an audition with a heavy metal band whose music I love. I would have dumped the previous lot without hesitation to land this gig.

What's the old saying about doors opening and closing?

Cheers

Mark

Monkey say... the road to enlightenment is littered with bands that fizzled out before they came to anything...

Monkey also say music is a hell of a lot bigger and far more rewarding in the longterm than any one band can ever make it, like Alun says get out there, find musicians who are better than you, play with them, learn from them, copy them, improve, set yourself goals and pursue the music YOU love (not what other people like), as it's the only real reason to play at all, do it and be true to yourself.

Mike

Just Give up... :)

.......... Relying on other people, they'll let you down. I have a guitard friend who I was relying on to start a band with & every time I got something together, he backed out.
I spent ages playing about on my own & then all of a sudden met more musicians looking for a bassist than I had in the past 20 years!

I feel for you. Kind of in the same place as you but not at the giving up stage. Just very frustrated. Been looking for a band to join for 3 months now but can't find anything. Posted adverts on the various join my band websites but there seems to be a real lack of musicians around who want to do the sort of stuff I want to do (Foo Fighters, Green Day, Stereophonics type of stuff) or who want to only do covers. A lot of people just seem to want to do it for money.

Oh well, don't give up, just hang in and keep looking.

You have to have faith...do you drive..go to Leeds...Ripon,Bradford....Hell I do a 90 mile round trip twice a week,because,there was not a band to join,when the covers band folded...I lost alot of money,time,and frustration mounted...Everyone got jobs in other bands asap,but no-one needed a Bassplayer...there were many a Bass owner or 'Doubler' per se..I was gonna sell up and say balls to it,it was a loooong few months...as an originals idea of being in a band,it was a longer...7 years....

Then it happend,I sh*t myself for 10 days,nailing the tracks ..for that shot....I didnt know who I was up against,hell,until I'd done the audition,frankly I didnt care.....

But I got the job (Hell..the drummer didnt want anyone else....which was nice)

its hard...travelling...but I remember the waiting and 'abyss' of having nothing....

I travel to Burnley,as a result,Im in a band that has an lp coming out next week,and are being booked nationwide,and in Europe...even the USA is being mooted.

its an effort,but Im with a bunch of good guys...good people....and its working.*

Beerdragon,outtoplayjazz, and ESP JASE,...a few others gave me encouraging words...

YOU CANT QUIT...Let no-one call you a liar,coz you will just be bullshitting yourself,or become a lazy son of a bitch,have ambition,sharpen your playing,KEEP playing...If you can get covers work,do it,its not a deathknell,its a program to build stamina....to be better...your hands will become strong,and you will get cash on top.

*Irony being,I get into I.C.O.N,and 3 days later 2 fulltime functions/weddings groups,one Metal group,and 3 local covers,and 2 depping jobs came in via email....over the space of 2 weeks.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='432875' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:00 PM']Why not do both? In lots of places the originals and pub covers bands are completely different venues/scene. Gte a pub covers going while you spend more time on the originals - then if the originals comes to nothing like it often does you still have the covers.[/quote]
+1,000,000

I was lucky. I'd been out of a regular band for about 10 years, then I looked in the classifieds and spotted an ad that suited me perfectly. That's the band I'm in now after 3 years.

We've now just found a keyboard player after months and months of searching. It took time, but we found the right one.

So find yourself a covers band to get you gigging and get you the "love of playing" back, and then advertise for like minded musicians for your original stuff at the same time. That way, hopefully the covers band will keep you busy enough to allow you to be choosy with finding the other guys for the originals.

Don't EVER, EVER give up.

When we split up I was really rather pissed off.

I then jammed with a couple of lads I knew through a crowd I drank with but tbh one of them just wanted to be in Metallica - how depressing

I took up playing keyboards incredibly badly and was invited to join another signed band (playing keys!!) by a bloke in the pub who had previous to my time played in the band that had just split...
I took up home recording, got myself as was then an Atari 520SE and the 1st version of cubase....

Now I have a pretty decent home studio running Sonar7 and Reason and VSTs
I have learned a rudimentary knowledge of music production and the technical side.

I have had tracks released commercially with 2 different bands playing on 2 different instruments.

and what's more the original band that split has now reformed almost 20 years later!!!

and I can't even read a stave!!!

so my advice is go drinking with the muso crowd and be prepared to whore yourself to anyone

LOL

Hi Will,

How does a wishbone ash covers band in Otley sound ??

I had an email today about it but I am already in 3 bands and think a 4th might be too much.

They sound like a friendly bunch and playing wishbone songs sounds great to me with plenty decent bass lines to play ( wishbone were doing the twin lead guitar set up years before lizzy etc )

Let me know and I will forward you the details

Regards

Tony