Why become a member? ×

What the... rig help needed!

TheButler

I've recently just got back into playing the ol' bass - after being out of the whole scene for a year or so. Anyway, i've recently sold everything, so i can buy up some new gear and reignite my interest! :)

So, some of you might have noticed i sold my H&K BB600 recently and my cab - hence i'll be needing something to replace them with. However, due to personal circumstances it doesn't look like i'll be having much free time to scout around the, rather mediocre, shops we have in Edinburgh/Glasgow to find something i like the sound of. I realise my ears are the best judge for the sound that [i]I[/i] am looking for, but bearing in mind the amount of stuff i can try out is really limited, i'm after some opinions from the finely tuned lugs of fellow BC'ers, and hopefully some educated opinions! :rolleyes:

I play 'post-rock', but i dabble in a bit of everything and because i'm still relatively young, i'm still finding my feet in terms of what i like to play. So, with that in mind i'd really be looking for something with a fair bit of versatility. Due to a bad back i couldn't be getting anything too heavy (in terms of amp) either; I couldn't walk the day after i took my BassBase to the parcel depot! I like the modularity of the below rig that i'm considering.

Thus far i've been looking at Little Mark II's and perhaps coupling that with an Aguilar DS210 and a 112? It seems to tick the boxes in terms of theoretical specs that i can read off of the relevant manufacture's site, but i'm needing some empirical evidence; how would it be in a real world situation?

Cheers for any help chaps!
Jamie

Edited by TheButler

The LMII is a cracking wee head & I dare say you'll probably be happy with the Aguilar cabs too. I have heard good things about Alex's cabs too(Barefacedbass).
GuitarGuitar on St Johns Road has Aggi stuff & can get Markbass stuff in too. I don't know anywhere up here that has MB stuff already in stock tho.

If you're after an easy lift a combo like mine might be the answer, but then again, I suppose the LMII will fit in a gigbag or similar.

I recently switched to a MarkBass amp (SA450) after 20 years of Trace Elliot.
I would describe the MarkBass as a good working amp.
It doesn't seem to particularly shine in any one area, but there isn't much it can't do soundwise.

.... and it is very light.

If you have bad back problems then I'd look at a couple of neo 112's. Aguilar sounds very good but isn't neo, which is why I got rid of my GS112 cabs! Light 12's are usually in the mid 30lbs, light 2x10's are about 40lbs and light 4x10's and 2x12's are about 60lbs.
Some of the best neo cabs are Epifani, Bergantino, Markbass, EBS, GK, Genz, Tecamp, Schroeder and Barefacedbass cabs.
Get a dolly board or aluminium trolley.

[quote name='chris_b' post='432307' date='Mar 12 2009, 12:18 PM']If you have bad back problems then I'd look at a couple of neo 112's. Aguilar sounds very good but isn't neo, which is why I got rid of my GS112 cabs! Light 12's are usually in the mid 30lbs, light 2x10's are about 40lbs and light 4x10's and 2x12's are about 60lbs.
Some of the best neo cabs are Epifani, Bergantino, Markbass, EBS, GK, Genz, Tecamp, Schroeder and Barefacedbass cabs.
Get a dolly board or aluminium trolley.[/quote]
What 'e said. There is a bit in the basschat wiki about lightweight cabs but I did a better job elsewhere (and amps too - must update)

I've decided that i'll get some lightweight cabs too, i was given a reminder of my bad back today when i did some lifting :) I've been casting my eye over those Berg AE cabs - they sure seem mighty fine. I'll continue my search, think i know where i'm going now chaps, cheers for the help :rolleyes:

I have a budget of about £1500-£2000 btw, won't be buying for another month or two. :D

Edited by TheButler

Immense [size=6]+1[/size] from me for Berg AE cabs, you will be hard pushed to actually buy a better cab IMO. You may find one that suits you more, but better, I dont think so...

Also really dig the Markbass kit, but its become very expensive recently...

Thats a pretty damn good budget! A friend has the same budget and hes siding with Aguilar at the moment, the AG500sc is what im playing and its amazing! Fantastic tone and versitility which sounds ideal for your current genre finding crisis. The mark bass heads are pretty good but lacked thickness for my liking, however, they do a range of lightwieght tube heads.
As for cabinets 410's are always versatile, tighter response than the bigger drivers but 'lacks' bottem end. I place the lack in ''''s as you can eq the bottom end in quite easily. I went with Mark Bass for portability. 800watts in a 25kg cab? Cant get better than that. Im short, no stronger than your average man and untill very recently lived in an upstairs flat so you can understand the portability issues. Plus, as any one on this forum can tell you, Mark Bass gear sounds incredible.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='434218' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:58 PM']As for cabinets 410's are always versatile, tighter response than the bigger drivers but 'lacks' bottem end. I place the lack in ''''s as you can eq the bottom end in quite easily.[/quote]Not true.
[quote name='pietruszka' post='434218' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:58 PM']As for cabinets 410's are always versatile, tighter response than the bigger drivers but 'lacks' bottem end. I place the lack in ''''s as you can eq the bottom end in quite easily. I went with Mark Bass for portability. 800watts in a 25kg cab? Cant get better than that. Im short, no stronger than your average man and untill very recently lived in an upstairs flat so you can understand the portability issues.[/quote]
Which part of [quote name='TheButler' post='432514' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:07 PM']I've decided that i'll get some lightweight cabs too, i was given a reminder of my bad back today when i did some lifting :) I've been casting my eye over those Berg AE cabs - they sure seem mighty fine.[/quote] did you not understand? Sure there are some very light 4x10's around but a light 4x10 is not a light cab :rolleyes:

[quote name='pietruszka' post='434218' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:58 PM']Plus, as any one on this forum can tell you, Mark Bass gear sounds incredible.[/quote]
Beg to differ. I have seen a few guys recently using MarkBass cabs and I thought they all sounded sh*t. But then thats my opinion. Anybody reading this forum would know that the MarkBass amps are much more popular than the cabs.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='434458' date='Mar 14 2009, 10:08 AM']No into Hi-Fi amps, Ashdown all the way.[/quote]

Why dont you have look at the new Ashdown Little Giants, they seem great value although havent had chance to have a blast on one yet. Noticed this last night too Soundslive are selling 1000 watt Superflys at only £269! I always liked my 500 watt one so these I imagine are sweet, full midi and usb capabilty and the chance to save 99 of your own saved sounds, Ive had mine hooked up to the laptop too, you can get silly anal with the sound editing then even adjusting compression decay etc! ;-)

here they are anyway, anyone got one?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Superfly-1000~ID~11117.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...00~ID~11117.asp[/url]

Thanks bass ferret for clearing that up :)

I'm not at all interested in Markbass cabs, tried them - didn't like them, just my opinion don't burn me. :rolleyes:

I think i've settled on the Berg cabs, AE210 and 112 - they 'seem' light enough, heres hoping the weight adevertised is in fact the actual weight and not something of myth.

I'm still really interested in the Rebelhead - it is a case of weighing that up against the Markbass offerings in particular. The Ashdown Superfly 1000 seems good value for money but i've never been a BIG Ashdown fan (although they do make some awesome gear i have no doubt) but of what i've tried it isn't my game. If i recall correctly the superflys weren't too great - correct me if i am wrong please. :D

Anyhow, it shall be about may/june when money is released from a bond, so i have time to 'weight' things up ;)

Cheers for the help!
Jamie

[quote name='TheButler' post='434814' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:25 PM']Thanks bass ferret for clearing that up :)[/quote]
No problem mate. I just cant stop myself when I see people saying 4x10's dont have bottom :rolleyes:

Why a 210 and 112? I would be inclined to have two of either rather than one of each. Make sure you try before you buy. One thing to watch with the Rebelhead, it only has one output so you must be able to daisy chain the cabs.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='TheButler' post='434814' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:25 PM']....I think i've settled on the Berg cabs, AE210 and 112 - they 'seem' light enough, heres hoping the weight adevertised is in fact the actual weight and not something of myth....[/quote]
I'm currently gigging an AE112 and an AE210 and in my opinion they work really well together. The sound is huge and punchy and the clarity is unbelievable. I guess some of this is down to the Thunderfunk but I can't think of a better rig. I tried 2 AE112's and the sound was too mellow for me so I added the punch of the AE210 and hey presto!
Believe the specs, these cabs really are light! Oh, and you can daisy chain these cabs.
Tom Bowlus, on Talkbass, is also a fan of the AE112/AE210 combination. He has posted some comments that you can look up.

That's foam between the two cabs as the handle on top of the AE112 gets in the way when stacking! There are neater ways but the foam was free.

Edited by chris_b

I've had a bad back since I lifted an old HH 215 and tried to carry it through a doorway that I didnt quite fit through when I was about 22. Its never properly healed, so I know how debilitating backs can be.

The AE410 is tiny for a 410, really small but sounds huge. I can carry it from car to stage without any problems and I'm unfit and lazy as hell as well as having said bad back. Its not the most comfortable lift in the world (it does way something after all) but its nothing like you'd expect.

I have nothing against the 112 and 210 concept, but if a single cab solution is what you want then the 410 is magic!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='434998' date='Mar 14 2009, 09:43 PM']Why a 210 and 112? I would be inclined to have two of either rather than one of each.[/quote]
+1. There's little point in combining tens and fifteens, even less in combining tens and twelves. Find a cab you like the sound of, buy it. If it's not loud enough buy two.

[quote name='chris_b' post='435015' date='Mar 15 2009, 03:11 AM']I'm currently gigging an AE112 and an AE210 and in my opinion they work really well together. The sound is huge and punchy and the clarity is unbelievable. I guess some of this is down to the Thunderfunk but I can't think of a better rig. I tried 2 AE112's and the sound was too mellow for me so I added the punch of the AE210 and hey presto!
Believe the specs, these cabs really are light! Oh, and you can daisy chain these cabs.
Tom Bowlus, on Talkbass, is also a fan of the AE112/AE210 combination. He has posted some comments that you can look up.[/quote]
Sometimes I think you are stalking me, or my mantra of not mixing cabs.

The way I see it is this. If the OP can try all the different combinations of AE112/AE210 and decide that he likes the sound of both together the best then he should buy it. If he is not able to try, as is the case with many users of this forum, then he should stick to two the same, and not mix them up cos you and some fella on talkbass like it !

I've had various normal/lightweight rigs, but my latest just seems to pip everything by quite a bit. It's very light - 2.6kg for the head and 20kg for the cab. It's more than loud enough and has plenty bottom end (which is very tight).

I really couldn't be happier (and amp/cabs are my weak point as far as GAS goes). However, the TC Rebel 450 looks mighty interesting........

[b]TecAmp Puma 500 TecAmp 212 4 ohm[/b]

I'm just over the water if you want a go.

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='435214' date='Mar 15 2009, 02:03 PM']I've had various normal/lightweight rigs, but my latest just seems to pip everything by quite a bit. It's very light - 2.6kg for the head and 20kg for the cab. It's more than loud enough and has plenty bottom end (which is very tight).

I really couldn't be happier (and amp/cabs are my weak point as far as GAS goes). However, the TC Rebel 450 looks mighty interesting........

[b]TecAmp Puma 500 TecAmp 212 4 ohm[/b]

I'm just over the water if you want a go.

D.[/quote]
Nice. Very nice. As reviewed in the current BGM (nearly). Must admit I have not seen a lot of evidence of Rosetti trying to sell them.