Jump to content

*SOLD* Fender Precision - 1975 (Natural) - €2,400
£1800
Dublin


Beno
 Share

Recommended Posts

New edit: 26/03/21

Had the f/b and fret work done with luthier and details and pics are in my post below.

 

Ash body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard

Vital stats:-

Weight: On a kitchen scales it comes in at 4.2kgs. On a bathroom scales, it’s 4.4kgs so it’s there or there abouts. Either way, it’s a light bass and certainly one of the lightest bass I’ve played.

Neck: 41.7mm at nut.

I bought this bass in 1982. I have changed nothing on it (hardware) Personally, I think it’s a great looking bass (subjective of course) and has just the right amount of real road wear. It sounds fantastic.

 

 

20200419_141757.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Beno
Pics added--work done--price
  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@gareth, no I don't know the bass history before 1982. It may have had the saddles changed. There was I believe a preference for brass saddles as they were supposed to improve the resonance. My ears aren't that finely tuned though.

I like them. I think they suit the natural finish better tbh and I suppose if someone didn't like them, a 15 quid set of Ni plated saddles would cure that fairly quickly.   

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Was having a bit of a muse on this one.

I’m a little bit surprised that there hasn’t been more interest in this bass. Perhaps it’s just a bad time to try to sell anything. Okay, I know it needs a re-fret soon and I understand that’s a pain in the hoop. I’d imagine a lad would want it to arrive ready to go. If I had done the re-fret and the board was in pristine condition, I would have listed it at about £2,100 and I think the general consensus would have been – ‘that’s about right’.

A re-fret In Ireland would be about €300. I think in the UK it is around £200. It varies in other EU countries ie. Spain seems to be approx €250

The option is available to a buyer, for me to get it done here and price the bass at €2,150 which at todays ex rate of .90, is £1,935. That’s a hell of a price for a 1975 P bass with a new fret job done and a case imo. If a buyer in the UK got their guy to do the frets, that would be £1,665 + £200 (frets) = £1,865. Better again!!

I doubt shipping would be much different than within mainland UK. Dublin is nearer to Manchester than London is (as the crow flies) I had a pm chat with a lad on the far side of Europe and I did an exercise on the UPS site and the cost of shipping was less than €80 (not sure if that was inc insurance though)    

I’m not in any hurry to sell the bass and was actually thinking about reversing my price drop, but I’ll let it sit for the moment and see what happens.

Stg has been fairly fluid over the last few years and all it would take is something like a ‘great trade deal’ to be announced for GB with the EU and Stg could well improve. It could also go the other way. If either happens I would have to adjust my price.

I know I’m a noob selling here with no feedback but everything will be done to ensure buyer is satisfied that all is legit before a transaction takes place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely bass and amazing price,,quite bizarrely no one has commenting on the bass ,i m definitely not a connaisseur on precision, but I m a precision lover ,my question is simply based on what I see on the picture is the neck without the stamp ,please do no take any offence as I think the bass is amazing ,so I’m just trying to see further of what I cannot see On the neck . Thanks 😊😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi J66Bass, no offence taken at all. Without the help of H.G. Wells, I really don’t know about the lack of a stamp on the butt of the neck. It’s not uncommon though. A very quick Google this morning throws up a similar situation with a 76 P.

 

594098887_76Ptruevintage2.thumb.jpg.cf0b1fc94e8008af80447e199aea5fc0.jpg

 

Our friend  Señor Jorres/Torres, turns up again on this 75 neck on Reverb and in fact he was on a bass FS here recently. He may have been having an off day.

1182539109_75neckreverb.jpg.fd79a34d098c1ae88e3b3baf7f89a0d8.jpg

My own theory is that the QC in Fender at the time was a bit lax to put it mildly. They were making fantastic guitars and basses, but didn’t realise it at the time.  I was talking to a lad recently that lived in the US/Canada and is very well up on vintage Fender stuff. He pointed out a very plausible scenario about the way things were done there.  For instance: a worker putting the neck plates (serial #’s) on guitars has a bin of plates. His bin runs low. Some guy tops up the bin with more plates leaving a few of the previous plates on the bottom. That’s why dating a Fender by s/n sometimes conflicts with other part dates.  Another quick search shows:  2 x 1974 P’s for sale with serial/n’s 626646 and 620940. Both of those s/n's are approx 27,000 later than my 75 s/n. Not sure how that works.

 

Anyway, I would be 100% confident that the neck is the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2020 at 17:13, Beno said:

Hi J66Bass, no offence taken at all. Without the help of H.G. Wells, I really don’t know about the lack of a stamp on the butt of the neck. It’s not uncommon though. A very quick Google this morning throws up a similar situation with a 76 P.

 

594098887_76Ptruevintage2.thumb.jpg.cf0b1fc94e8008af80447e199aea5fc0.jpg

 

Our friend  Señor Jorres/Torres, turns up again on this 75 neck on Reverb and in fact he was on a bass FS here recently. He may have been having an off day.

1182539109_75neckreverb.jpg.fd79a34d098c1ae88e3b3baf7f89a0d8.jpg

My own theory is that the QC in Fender at the time was a bit lax to put it mildly. They were making fantastic guitars and basses, but didn’t realise it at the time.  I was talking to a lad recently that lived in the US/Canada and is very well up on vintage Fender stuff. He pointed out a very plausible scenario about the way things were done there.  For instance: a worker putting the neck plates (serial #’s) on guitars has a bin of plates. His bin runs low. Some guy tops up the bin with more plates leaving a few of the previous plates on the bottom. That’s why dating a Fender by s/n sometimes conflicts with other part dates.  Another quick search shows:  2 x 1974 P’s for sale with serial/n’s 626646 and 620940. Both of those s/n's are approx 27,000 later than my 75 s/n. Not sure how that works.

 

Anyway, I would be 100% confident that the neck is the original.

Just to back you up, I have a '74 that looks identical to this re markings and non-corresponding numbers. Torres neck too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello again. Just to reiterate - I'm stunned at the lack of responses I've had to this bass for sale.

To cut through the possible *noise above,  this is a 1975 P bass for sale for 1850 euro as it is or,

a 1975 P bass with a repaired finger-board and new frets for 2400 euro.

*Edit: by noise I ref to my posts

 

Edited by Beno
price adj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally personal response ... for me it’s just not a great time. I’m looking to buy / trade for a good P but with things the way there are I’m not in a rush. I need to sell first (or trade).

The bass looks nice and for me - you’re being totally upfront which is a good way to go.

I don’t think you’re the only one in your position though. I think there is an early 70s 3TSB languishing somewhere in the depths of this forum - and has been for several weeks. 

Edited by Nickthebass
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Beno said:

Hello again. Just to reiterate - I'm stunned at the lack of responses I've had to this bass for sale.

Why? It’s quite a high price for what it is at a time when folks are not inclined to take financial risks. Basses priced correctly here sell quickly, always have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To make you feel better,9 months ,a5 strings precision come into market, people were raving great stuff and loads of comments were based its was a shame it wasn’t a rosewood neck and wish the seller good luck ,9 months I put mine on the market, the 5 strings precision BUT WITH rosewood neck,the bass was yes chipped but in full working order I priced at the same price I bought and with new set of strings, I had a few pm but what really surprised me is Hardly no one commenting 0n the sale when i  finally announced I was going soon to keep the bass then one person commented , the comment was so stupid I decided to not answer back and finish the thread, GLWTS  with your sale .. personally  I have been years on bass chat and really do not understand how some buyers have so much answers on one sale and other not , conspiracy hhmmm I wonder ....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, J66Bass said:

To make you feel better,9 months ,a5 strings precision come into market, people were raving great stuff and loads of comments were based its was a shame it wasn’t a rosewood neck and wish the seller good luck ,9 months I put mine on the market, the 5 strings precision BUT WITH rosewood neck,the bass was yes chipped but in full working order I priced at the same price I bought and with new set of strings, I had a few pm but what really surprised me is Hardly no one commenting 0n the sale when i  finally announced I was going soon to keep the bass then one person commented , the comment was so stupid I decided to not answer back and finish the thread, GLWTS  with your sale .. personally  I have been years on bass chat and really do not understand how some buyers have so much answers on one sale and other not , conspiracy hhmmm I wonder ....

No conspiracy, the answer’s a lot more straight forward 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2020 at 18:55, Nickthebass said:

Totally personal response ... for me it’s just not a great time. I’m looking to buy / trade for a good P but with things the way there are I’m not in a rush. I need to sell first (or trade).

The bass looks nice and for me - you’re being totally upfront which is a good way to go.

I don’t think you’re the only one in your position though. I think there is an early 70s 3TSB languishing somewhere in the depths of this forum - and has been for several weeks. 

I think you're right Nick. It's a rubbish time for selling anything. I have a Boss pedal up f/s on a site here and this model of pedal  are normally snapped up and it's on for ages too. The road ahead is far too uncertain. I think the weak pound is not helping me either.

 

On 11/10/2020 at 19:13, Beedster said:

Why? It’s quite a high price for what it is at a time when folks are not inclined to take financial risks. Basses priced correctly here sell quickly, always have. 

I don't agree it is "quite a high price" at all. I have a vested interest in mid 70's Fender P's, so have kept a keen eye on pricing over the years and have done my research. A quick scope around this site alone would confirm this pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Price seems pretty fair. The problem is there are some horror stories floating around about import duties and VAT when buying from the EU that might be detering potential buyers. Oh yeah and the fact that there ain't much going on in terms of gig. Best of luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So I decided to bite the bullet and get the bass in to my luthier. It seems I'm a 'glass half empty type'. He was adamant that it did not need a re-fret and that a fret dress would be the way to go.

 

 

I have adjusted the price accordingly. It is €2,400 or at today's euro - GBP rate of .86 that is £2,064 

 

 

 

 

 

     

new fb1.jpg

 

 

Edited by Beno
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ped locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...