Why become a member? ×

Is it me or are Fender strings really stiif?

I have hands that are very sensitive to high tension or stiff strings and typically tend to go with 95-40 or 95-35 gauge, put some Fender strings 95-40 on the other day and whilst they are not high tension due to the low gauge damn they felt stiff for such a light gauge, I have  played 100-40 gauge strings that felt looser, my action jumped up a bit immediately after fitting them, anyone else find they are really stiff strings? 

I only use flats and It’s not you, as Silvia says, they are stiff, I’ve got the fender flats on one of my jazzes  and I’ve left them on hoping they would flex a bit with use, but they haven’t , I wouldn’t use them again.

16 minutes ago, gjones said:

I bought a Precision, which had them factory fitted, and found them pretty high tension. I fitted a set of Rotosound Swing Bass to, it and they felt a lot more flexible.

Im glad you said that, I actually had a set of Roto's on previous to the Fenders and found the same thing, as Roto's are usually said to be stiff I thought I was going mad

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I only use flats and It’s not you, as Silvia says, they are stiff, I’ve got the fender flats on one of my jazzes  and I’ve left them on hoping they would flex a bit with use, but they haven’t , I wouldn’t use them again.

I can only imagine how stiff there flats are if there rounds are as stiff as they are the flats must be terrifying

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

I have hands that are very sensitive to high tension or stiff strings and typically tend to go with 95-40 or 95-35 gauge, put some Fender strings 95-40 on the other day and whilst they are not high tension due to the low gauge damn they felt stiff for such a light gauge, I have  played 100-40 gauge strings that felt looser, my action jumped up a bit immediately after fitting them, anyone else find they are really stiff strings? 

I think tension isn't the correct word here. I think flexibility is more appropriate. 

If you're after light gauge, flexible roundwounds then I would suggest the following:

Dunlop Black Label Nickels

Dunlop Super Brights

D'Addario XLs

DR Sunbeams / Hi Beams / Fat Beams

Thomastik Jazz Rounds

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It's not you. They are unnecessarily stiff. I tried their flatwounds, light gauge, once - and once only! - and they stayed on the bass for half a day before being thrown in the bin.

You should try the Dunlop flats in 45-105 gauge if you're looking for a flexible flatwound string. 

• Like 2

Fender strings are currently made by D'addario and I alternate between the 7250M Fender strings and D'addario EXL165 as they are so close so if the Fenders are stiff then the equivalent D'addarios will feel the same.

I'm guessing that there will be slight differences in the construction of the strings but apart from the slightly different coloured ball ends, they feel and sound pretty close so as to be interchangable.

41 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Fender strings are currently made by D'addario and I alternate between the 7250M Fender strings and D'addario EXL165 as they are so close so if the Fenders are stiff then the equivalent D'addarios will feel the same.

I'm guessing that there will be slight differences in the construction of the strings but apart from the slightly different coloured ball ends, they feel and sound pretty close so as to be interchangable.

D'Aaddario used to make strings for Fender but I believe Fender now have their own string machines so it's in house again. 

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I would say the Dunlops are easier to play than the Chromes. 

It's not a matter of being easy or difficult, it's the right kind of compliance that I'm after. For instance, Thomastik Infeldt strings are softer/easier than either Chromes or Labellas, and I do love them, but for certain kinds of songs/styles/genres they are too floppy. (I have them on my Hofner violin.) :)

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I think tension isn't the correct word here. I think flexibility is more appropriate. 

If you're after light gauge, flexible roundwounds then I would suggest the following:

Dunlop Black Label Nickels

Dunlop Super Brights

D'Addario XLs

DR Sunbeams / Hi Beams / Fat Beams

Thomastik Jazz Rounds

Id love to try the Thomastik jazz rounds but the price of them means that's not gonna happen

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

D'Aaddario used to make strings for Fender but I believe Fender now have their own string machines so it's in house again. 

Ah, I'll need to have a scout around to see if I can find anything more out about this. I'm guessing that it must be relatively recently as it was strings that I only just bought at the tail end of last year that I compared.

The 7250M 45-105 came with my Ultra Precision They seem a little stiffer than EB  Super Slinky  [comparing D and G] 45-100

And more flexible than EB Cobalt Flats 45-100. To be honest when playing I never had 'that' thought, wow these are stiff for rounds; until I read this thread.😀 

Too stiff for me too. Because of the covers band I was in at the time I wanted to try flats on a P for that classic sound without paying a lot of money for something that might not suit me, so I tried Fenders.  They seemed to get a lot of good reviews, but while I liked the sound I didn't like the stiffness.  I left them on for a few weeks to see if I would get used to them, but I didn't.

So now I've got both feet firmly planted with rounds.  As chance would have it, I'm now in an originals band that needs a more modern rock sound that my good old Rotos or LaBells give so well.