Why become a member? ×

35" B/E/A/D four strings

Eight

Apologies if you're seeing too many posts from me on this.

In an effort to resolve needing to be playing in standard E tuning for a while, and wanting to be playing in standard C (along to records, doing transcriptions and maybe a bit of writing), I've come to the conclusion that what I need is another new bass. :)

I know Schecter make the Stilletto Sub which is a 35" scale four string bass that comes set up for BEAD. Pricing isn't too bad but stock levels are awful. Do you know of anyone else who makes such a beast?

I don't really want a five string if I can help it. Although I'll be keeping an eye on the For Sale section for them just in case.

I've had a Yamaha TRB mk2 4 string bass for years. It has a 35" scale so theres no reason you couldn't get it set up with your guages and get a decent B string tension.

i used to use it all the time, they are great basses and for the money you can't go wrong. Well made, versatile etc.. Worth a look for sure.

Cheers.

Cheers guys,

ESP are worth a look - they seem like the type who'd do one. That Tom Araya signature bass is pretty wild - .

Fingerz, good point. Quite possibly any 35" is going to be able to do the job (perhaps with a bit of tweaking by someone in the know). I'll check into your Yam suggestion and have a bit more of a general think.

Thanking you.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='430176' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:15 AM']I think Warwick have a set of strings designed BEAD for their basses...?[/quote]
Yeah, I saw those on a website earlier - couldn't really figure out what the score was with them. Whether they're specific to Warwicks, work on anything or have some kind of weird voodoo.

Might take another peek and see what I can learn.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='430170' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:10 AM']I believe the Ibanez BTB range are also 35" scale which should do the job.[/quote]
They are indeed. I got my BTB 5-string a couple of weeks ago, and I can't put it down. The neck is just lovely to play -- although it's wide (across the strings), it's extremely slender (through the neck, fingers to thumb). Certainly don't rule out a 5er with a slim neck. The BTB775 is similar in terms of neck comfort to my Hondo P-copy -- kind of like the extra fretboard width is made up for by the slimness.

Having said that, I imagine a 4-string BTB would have an even sexier neck, and it should be relatively easy to set up for B-E-A-D.

But, in many ways, above all this is the tone. The BTB range (from the BTB470 up) has the Bart MK2 pups and EQ, which you might find a little dark, smooth and polite-sounding. [b]EXTREMELY[/b] loud, but quite polite. You might get more grunt out of something like the [url="http://www.espguitars.com/basses_f.html"]ESP LTD F-series[/url] (if you can bear pointy basses), but that's only a guess. I haven't tried them.

[quote name='cetera' post='430409' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:56 PM']Spector do the Euro in a 35".

Check out the Euro4LX-EX....[/quote]
Then check out the price... :) That's a world away from the Schecter! For that sort of money, Overwater could probably do you one at 38" scale.

And yep, like Ferret says, 34" is plenty enough for tuning low. It just depends on how you like the strings to feel, and whether the bridge and nut can cope with the heavier gauges you'll need on a 34". I personally prefer the feel of a .130 on my 35" to the feel of a .135 or .140 on a 34".

But remember that [b]a lot[/b] of the feel depends on the neck construction. In my incredibly limited experience, expensive high-end 34" basses have B-strings that feel as good as or better than cheaper 35" basses. I just can't afford a decent 34" 5-string, so I've plumped for a cheaper 35". :rolleyes:

Of course, that's all just IMHO and YMMV.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='430439' date='Mar 10 2009, 01:13 PM']Then check out the price... :) That's a world away from the Schecter! For that sort of money, Overwater could probably do you one at 38" scale.[/quote]

Nobody pays RRP though..... and in this case you get what you pay for....

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='430354' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:23 PM']I have got a 34inch bass tuned quite happy to BEAD. You can do it to any bass.[/quote]
I have been thinking about that... except my "spare" bass is pretty basic. I have my doubts it would really stand up to putting thick strings on and tuning to BEAD or (C/F/Bb/Eb).

I suppose I should probably get some strings and give it a whirl while I gas.

[quote name='cetera' post='430468' date='Mar 10 2009, 01:34 PM']Nobody pays RRP though..... and in this case you get what you pay for....[/quote]
No doubt. I know a guy who absolutely swears by his Spector Euro 4LX -- doesn't even want to touch another bass. Spector have always been on my list of "would like to try".

Cetera, do you have any of the 35" Spectors (surely, among that lot... :))? If so, can you do a direct comparison of a 34" and a 35" with all other things equal? That would be very interesting indeed...

[quote name='Eight' post='430481' date='Mar 10 2009, 01:48 PM']I have been thinking about that... except my "spare" bass is pretty basic. I have my doubts it would really stand up to putting thick strings on and tuning to BEAD or (C/F/Bb/Eb).[/quote]
As long as it's got a (functioning!) truss rod, there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to cope. You'll probably have to file out your nut slots a bit, which could be problematic if you ever decide to go back to normal gauges, and depending on how your bass strings up, you might have to go for a taperwound B.

Suck it and see.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='430740' date='Mar 10 2009, 05:15 PM']and depending on how your bass strings up, you might have to go for a taperwound B.[/quote]
Was with you right up to this bit. :)

Um... it has strings with come through the bridge as opposed to through the body. Other than that I have no idea.

Right, I'm off google taperwound. Lol. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Eight' post='430927' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:06 PM']Um... it has strings with come through the bridge as opposed to through the body. Other than that I have no idea.

Right, I'm off google taperwound. Lol. :)[/quote]
Well, you've probably found out by now, but taperwounds look like the B and E on this:

With strings that are wound full-thickness to the end, there's quite often some extra thickness near the ball end (where the windings are secured), so that even if the main body of the string passes through the hole in your bridge, you might find it really tight or even impossible to get that last cm through. Taperwounds eliminate that problem, but many say they don't transmit vibrations through the saddle effectively, reducing the fullness of tone. I've seen people argue it the other way too, claiming better efficiency through the smaller contact area.

Again, you just have to try it and see what works for you.

The alternative to taperwounds is to file out the hole in your bridge so the string will fit through it. I've never been brave enough to attempt that. At least you don't string through the body -- then your alternative to taperwounds is a big drill and a steady hand. :rolleyes:

+1 for the taperwounds and no bridge grinding. :)

I'm not too bothered about fullness of tone etc. Its a £50 bass (including shipping) - I was surprised it had any tone at all. Roughly the right pitch on the notes is all I ask.

Cheers for the info fella. Think I'll order a set and give it a go.

[quote name='Eight' post='430958' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:30 PM']Cheers for the info fella. Think I'll order a set and give it a go.[/quote]
Nae bother. I think this might be the first time I've ever been any help to anyone on any forum ever.

Go me! :)

Just out of interest, what is this magical £50 bass?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='430965' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:34 PM']Just out of interest, what is this magical £50 bass?[/quote]
Um... well I've never owned up to this on the forum before. But since at the Bass Bash I spoke at length to VoodooBassman about them, I feel a bit braver. He seemed to share my opinion that for the money, they're not too bad. What else can you get for £50 in life these days!?! :)

It's a Swift four string from eBay, in a rather girly colour. Needless to say I didn't actually take to the bash. :rolleyes: Would have looked great standing next to the Vigier etc. Lol.

But it works, and aside from a tuning peg coming lose (just the flappy bit you turn) and some delam on the pickguard, its not that bad.

[quote name='Eight' post='430978' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:42 PM']But it works, and aside from a tuning peg coming lose (just the flappy bit you turn) and some delam on the pickguard, its not that bad.[/quote]

What more do you need?

Failing that, my Bass Collection SB310 strung B-E-A-D will soon be up for sale at a very reasonable price, just as soon as I can replace the balance pot that crapped out t'other day. This does sound reasonable on the B even with a 120, but I've gone to the 5-string dark side so needs must.

[quote name='pete.young' post='431011' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:05 PM']Failing that, my Bass Collection SB310 strung B-E-A-D will soon be up for sale at a very reasonable price, just as soon as I can replace the balance pot that crapped out t'other day. This does sound reasonable on the B even with a 120, but I've gone to the 5-string dark side so needs must.[/quote]
I might have to keep an eye out for that one.

Argh... must stop spending money on bass gear. I'll allow myself to buy one more bass and then I'm stopping myself until I learn to play properly. :)