Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Fan

Clockworkwar

Email Ashdown first with regards to replacing it.

I think however they're just standard fans, so if you were to say, nip to a PC shop (online or not) and buy the correct size (and airflow obviously has to be same or better on the replacement as the amp will be designed for a certain minimum flow in mind for cooling), and look for "quiet" pc fans, you should be fine.

[quote name='Buzz' post='425106' date='Mar 4 2009, 02:27 PM']Email Ashdown first with regards to replacing it.

I think however they're just standard fans, so if you were to say, nip to a PC shop (online or not) and buy the correct size (and airflow obviously has to be same or better on the replacement as the amp will be designed for a certain minimum flow in mind for cooling), and look for "quiet" pc fans, you should be fine.[/quote]

I emailed straight away to Ashdown a few days ago, but I have yet to hear a response. I might try again.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='426089' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:53 PM']What is the minimum airflow for a solid state amp mean't to be?[/quote]
The airflow is related to the speed of the fan, which is related to the consumption of the motor. The latter should be printed on a label in the centre of the fan. Papst and Panasonic have a reputation for low noise and good build quality, although you are unlikely to find them in your local computer shop.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='424900' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:25 AM']I have an Ashdown 250 head and it is coming upto the time I need to replace the fan, it is making too much noise. What is the best brand to choose to reduce the sound and still be good at cooling the amp?

I guess it would be a 12v 80mm fan, unless anyone tells me otherwise?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Phone Ashdown on 01621858800 and get a direct replacement! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='425128' date='Mar 4 2009, 02:48 PM']I emailed straight away to Ashdown a few days ago, but I have yet to hear a response. I might try again.[/quote]

Email using their Technical Support page rather than 'Sales'. Unlike most companies, I find that their Technical Support respond much faster to emails than their Sales do.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='427484' date='Mar 6 2009, 07:20 PM']Email using their Technical Support page rather than 'Sales'. Unlike most companies, I find that their Technical Support respond much faster to emails than their Sales do.[/quote]

I emailed a person from tech support that I already have the email of, that way I know they can't say they didn't get it.

• 7 years later...

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1460207113' post='3023632']
Before you take out the fan, try a damp Q tip to wipe off the years of bar dust [/quote]
I had an overly noisy fan on my 1998 ABM200H. Gently brushing of the dust that can accumulate over the years on the fan chassis and fan blades with small dry paintbrush made quite a difference. If you have already gone to the trouble of getting in about the fan and are confident working inside the amp, you could also try adding some small rubber washers between the fan body and the chassis when you re-assemble, assuming the mounting screws are long enough. On my old ABM this worked wonders to reduce fan noise.

[quote name='jammys' timestamp='1460202115' post='3023529']
Just to revive this thread. Most of the decent "silent" fans I can find have 3 wires. Would soldering the + & - still allow the fan to operate correctly?
[/quote]

Modern PC fans have a 'control' wire as well as the two power ones so that the PC can vary the fan speed depending on how hard the CPU is working. This is all part of a PC's definition of a 'silent' fan, I.e. Run it as slowly as absolutely necessary. As the original Ashdown fan is just two wires I'd assume the amp has no way (or need) to vary the fan speed.

I don't know the precise connection details but there is probably info on the web. My guess would be just leave the control wire unconnected, but it is just a guess.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1460210702' post='3023679']
I've got a bunch of 80mm slim 24Volt fans on my desk at work, good quality ball bearing type which are [i][u]very[/u][/i] quiet at 12V. Up for grabs if anyone wants one.
[/quote]I will have one if its OK. Will pm you!