Why become a member? ×

Pick? Fingers? Both?

xilddx

I've swung back and forth between the two for years. I was a convert from guitar, so pick was the natural thing. Once I sussed my fingers, I renounced all things plec-shaped and took the snotty teenage attitude that our OP's nemesis has displayed.

I soon grew out of it when I realised how damn good it sounds when you need to cut through a pair of Marshall-wielding guitarists. I'm happy to swing between both as the situation requires. It's like anything, rounds or flats, P or J, HP or Ketchup. Some questions don't have a [i]right[/i] answer!

I think I'm naturally a fingerstyle player but I now play more than half the covers we do with a pick because it suits the songs. There a few songs that I couldn't imagine playing without being able to quickly shift from palm-muted to punchy pick tone and back again.

BTW I find normal picks very slippy which is why I use Dunlop Ultex which are a different kind of plastic and also always use the proper bass shaped ones :) , not the little guitard ones.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='422936' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:06 AM']Practice mainly, but there are picks out there that are less slippery than others.

I don't use a pick for bass, but for guitar I use Wegen picks, which don't go anywhere thanks to their design...

Expensive though.[/quote]

EUR15 each!!!!! You'd be gutted if you lost one. Do you use those Gypsy ones for bass then?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='422925' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:48 AM']I'd love to be able to play with a pick but it's a complete mystery to me how to do it. How the hell do you keep a slippery bit of plastic from falling out of your fingers??[/quote]
+1

When I first started playing I wouldn't have anything to do with a pick

Pick = Guitarist :)

There have been a number of songs (originally played with a pick) that i've had to spend a fair bit more time learning with fingers than I should have done, simply because I wouldn't use a pick....

Silly really...... recently I've tried to use a pick and it's just too alien, it's limited me is a small bit significant way.

[quote name='Marcus' post='423053' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:02 PM']+1

When I first started playing I wouldn't have anything to do with a pick

Pick = Guitarist :rolleyes:

There have been a number of songs (originally played with a pick) that i've had to spend a fair bit more time learning with fingers than I should have done, simply because I wouldn't use a pick....

Silly really...... recently I've tried to use a pick and it's just too alien, it's limited me is a small bit significant way.[/quote]

I did have a brush with trying to learn the guitar and that's where I came unstuck with that. Three strums and the pick fell out of my fingers. I tried every different type of pick I could get hold of and it didn't make any difference. Beats me :)

As a convert from guitar, I started off using a pick but eventually taught myself to play fingerstyle as I prefer the tone on the whole. Some songs however require greater attack and therefore I am more than happy to use a pick for them. The other thing worth mentioning is contingency planning. What do you do if you get a cut or blister on your picking hand? Do you cancel rehearsals, auditions or gigs? The ability to use a pick allows you to continue playing and your band to fulfill commitments.

Personally, I can't slap very well, but I shall persevere because it adds another skill set to my playing which ultimately makes me a better player. There is no black and white answer to the initial question of which is the correct way to play, but being able to play more than one way allows us to be more expressive and through that improve the song the song we are playing.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='423069' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:16 PM']What do you do if you get a cut or blister on your picking hand? Do you cancel rehearsals, auditions or gigs? The ability to use a pick allows you to continue playing and your band to fulfill commitments.[/quote]

I've had that a few times, I just fingerpick through the pain, it's a good feeling actually, but it kills afterwards! And the blood gets in your pickups. Funny really, cos I hate going to the dentist for fear of pain.

Edited by silddx

I was a convert from guitar but have always felt more comfortable playing with fingers rather than a plectrum (I've always played both fingerstyle and with plectrums on guitars, which may have some bearing on this). There's just one song I currently use a plectrum on, and that's "Saw her standing there" as I just can't get the speed with fingers without the timing going a bit off. Used to either use a plectrum or an air plectrum for "Want to break free" too.

[quote name='silddx' post='423208' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:07 PM']I've had that a few times, I just fingerpick through the pain, it's a good feeling actually, but it kills afterwards! And the blood gets in your pickups. Funny really, cos I hate going to the dentist for fear of pain.[/quote]

I've got a beauty of a blister on my middle finger...... rehearsing with a RHCP tribute band tonight...... OUCH !!!!

[quote name='4000' post='422508' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:16 PM']Guitarists seem to be able to do it fine, so there's no reason why bassists can't. But I think you've hit on a commonly held misconception which is that pick playing is either off or on. Not if you're any good with it it isn't.[/quote]

post of the week

good call and i accept that...if your good...your good!!

Fingers, picks, thumbs and tips of fingers are all needed in my point of view!!

One other remark I have heard far too oftern at gigs and from other musicians is that bass players are failed guitarists and any guitar player can play a bass!!

arse I say!

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='423902' date='Mar 3 2009, 09:39 AM']Fingers, picks, thumbs and tips of fingers are all needed in my point of view!!

One other remark I have heard far too oftern at gigs and from other musicians is that bass players are failed guitarists and any guitar player can play a bass!!

arse I say![/quote]
Hand them a 9 string and watch them sh*t themselves

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='423902' date='Mar 3 2009, 09:39 AM']One other remark I have heard far too often at gigs and from other musicians is that bass players are failed guitarists and any guitar player can play a bass!!

arse I say![/quote]

I would say most guitarists are failed bass players who can't keep time.

As a former guitarist who has now seen the light, it took quite a bit of practice to get the timekeeping precise and to understand that I was more effective when I played what was right for the song rather than being showy all the time.

[quote name='ARGH' post='423904' date='Mar 3 2009, 09:40 AM']Hand them a 9 string and watch them sh*t themselves[/quote]

Hand me a 9 string and the same thing will happen :)

I prefer to play finger style. But my current covers band plays a lot of indie numbers where the lines just seem to sound better played with a pick. I can't see why anyone would want to limit themselves to just one technique.