Why become a member? ×

U2 on J. Ross Show.....

Marcus

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='423945' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:26 AM']And the bass line to With or Without You is instantly recognisable, even for non bass players. Next time you have friends or family round, start playing it and see how many people recognise it.[/quote]

Hows it go ? can you hum it ?

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='424088' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:25 PM']How it go ? can you hum it ?[/quote]

Dum x 8, then Dum x 8, then Dum x 8, then Dun x 8 and repeat for about 4 mins until you fall asleep or die. :) :rolleyes:

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='424098' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:39 PM']Bono: "Everytime I clap my hands, a child dies in Africa"

Audience member: "So stop clapping your f *ckin' hands".[/quote]

You do know that that story is actually false and is a joke based on the Make Poverty History advert where stars are seen clicking their fingers.

Okay, like Motown, love U2.

There's a snag with the Funk Brother's comparison though because really, how many records did they sell when their record company and all it's artists upped and left for LA?

Don't get me wrong, these are masterful musicians, but people bought Marvin Gaye/Supremes/Temptations/Stevie Wonder records, not Funk Brother records. And virtually none of the songs on those records were written by the Funk Brothers. And if we're talking about marketing, Motown wasn't exactly backwards in that department and for every gem of a song that came out on that label, there was probably 100 banal offerings to accompany it.

I don't mean to put down the legacy of the Funk Brothers at all, but they were a backing band - an extraordinary one for sure - but a backing band nonetheless. Their presence and abilities no doubt helped towards the success of many records, but it was far from the only reason for those records' success.

When it comes to U2's record sales, most of everything they've achieved is down to them - their songs, their performance, their decisions on promotion, track orders, sleeve designs etc.

Having said all that, the whole sales argument is phoney.

As, to be honest, is the whole overrated argument. "One man's meat" and all that. I bet we couldn't even get 100% agreement as to what constitutes "being overrated."

What's annoying about it as a U2 fan is that it's always directed at U2 without it ever really being sought out, as evidenced by the beginnings of this whole thread. Okay, so some people don't like U2. I'm sure that's true of pretty much every band, but no other band really has people going out of their way to point out their dislike/hatred of them the way U2 does.

[quote name='Linus27' post='424087' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:25 PM']I think your looking to deep into some of my comments as half the stuff you have written above is assuming on what I was thinking which is clearly wrong. Oh and to answer your other question, I like Motown and U2. So much so that only the other day I was saying to dave_bass5 that I would like to play in a Motown covers band. So to answer your question, then Yes.. ME :)[/quote]

If I misunderstood you then I apologise, but thats how to came across when you said "If thats the genre of music you like then its unlikley you would be raving about U2.". Sounded like liking the Funk Brothers means you wouldnt expect me to like U2. What did you mean then????

Especially since you like both so much!?!?! Now you totally confused me.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='424107' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:51 PM']Okay, like Motown, love U2.

There's a snag with the Funk Brother's comparison though because really, how many records did they sell when their record company and all it's artists upped and left for LA?

Don't get me wrong, these are masterful musicians, but people bought Marvin Gaye/Supremes/Temptations/Stevie Wonder records, not Funk Brother records. And virtually none of the songs on those records were written by the Funk Brothers. And if we're talking about marketing, Motown wasn't exactly backwards in that department and for every gem of a song that came out on that label, there was probably 100 banal offerings to accompany it.

I don't mean to put down the legacy of the Funk Brothers at all, but they were a backing band - an extraordinary one for sure - but a backing band nonetheless. Their presence and abilities no doubt helped towards the success of many records, but it was far from the only reason for those records' success.

When it comes to U2's record sales, most of everything they've achieved is down to them - their songs, their performance, their decisions on promotion, track orders, sleeve designs etc.

Having said all that, the whole sales argument is phoney.

As, to be honest, is the whole overrated argument. "One man's meat" and all that. I bet we couldn't even get 100% agreement as to what constitutes "being overrated."

What's annoying about it as a U2 fan is that it's always directed at U2 without it ever really being sought out, as evidenced by the beginnings of this whole thread. Okay, so some people don't like U2. I'm sure that's true of pretty much every band, but no other band really has people going out of their way to point out their dislike/hatred of them the way U2 does.[/quote]

He asked me who I thought was a great band, he didnt ask for any more than that.

The Funk Brothers were a great band.

They were responsible for all the musical hooks played on a gazillion sold albums.

Where did anyone state they needed to be anything other than a house band?

I stand by my point regarding what they did to extend the canon of popular music. Compared to which U2 have frankly done virtually nothing (IMO).

As for "how many records did they sell when their record company and all it's artists upped and left for LA? ", well thats just part of the criminal neglect they got as the musicians responsible for putting those songs out. Jamerson invented the basslines, no one wrote them out note for note for instance. So, yeah a lot of people put their creativity into them, and I would rather everyone involved had got what they deserved to out of the success; I dont believe that that happened, but I also believe that that doesn't actually detract from the importance and significance of The Funk Brothers in any way.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='424107' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:51 PM']As, to be honest, is the whole overrated argument. "One man's meat" and all that. I bet we couldn't even get 100% agreement as to what constitutes "being overrated."[/quote]

overrate
v overrate [əuvəˈreit]
to think that something is better, stronger, more valuable etc than it really is

No argument from me on that one.....

I liked U2 and in fact the 'Unforgettable Fire' was the second album I ever bought.

I am afraid their latest albums rely on one good lead single 'Beautiful Day' & 'Vertigo' and the rest of the album sucked more than a black hole.

This time they couldn't even manage one decent single...'pu on your boots' is utter rubbish and if they think they are staying 'current', they ought to give it up.

It doesn't matter.........all of this...................

Some music you like, some you don't, doesn't mean it's crap if you don't, it just means you don't like it.

Why all the antagonism??

U2 are a good band, who 1000s of people around the world like, and 1000s of others don't. Who gives a sh*t either way???

I like cheese, but I don't like rice pudding. Does that mean all rice pudding is sh*t?

Music is music, and it's diverse and fantastic, whatever the genre, and whoever made it. You might not like it, but someone else does. All music is great, that's why we're all musicians no??

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='421867' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:49 PM']Much as I hate Bonehead and all that he stands for I thought the roof gig was ok.(mainly because of the scenery)
The new songs they played are absolute crap imho. Mind you if they did anymore songs I would have got bored.
Speaking of people I dislike,Chris Evans was on the roof also.

It's a shame someone didn't make a difference and push 'em off. :)[/quote]

I hate Chris Evans with a passion...every since his sycophants stopped laughing as his every joke on hios radio shows, he sounds like some gold awful cheesy local radio DJ.

[quote name='Rayman' post='424128' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:13 PM']I like cheese, but I don't like rice pudding. Does that mean all rice pudding is sh*t?[/quote]

Do you know just how many tins of rice pudding were sold last week???!!!

[quote name='51m0n' post='424117' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:01 PM']If I misunderstood you then I apologise, but thats how to came across when you said "If thats the genre of music you like then its unlikley you would be raving about U2.". Sounded like liking the Funk Brothers means you wouldnt expect me to like U2. What did you mean then????

Especially since you like both so much!?!?! Now you totally confused me.[/quote]

I asked what other bands/groups you liked. Your reply was one group. This gave the impression that Motown was your thing. With the limitations to the internet and expression and the ease at assuming, my assumption was Motown was the genre you liked. If for example you said Iron Maiden or Girls Aloud, then again, due to the limitations with the internet, these answers would had given a totally different impression. What you should had done is said The Funk Brothers, Iron Maiden, Girls Aloud, Cliff Richard, Bo Didley, Duran Duran and Miles Davis. That way I would had been really confused and probably jumped off a tall building .... with my U2 records :) :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Linus27' post='424132' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:17 PM']I asked what other bands/groups you liked. Your reply was one group. This gave the impression that Motown was your thing. With the limitations to the internet and expression and the ease at assuming, my assumption was Motown was the genre you liked. If for example you said Iron Maiden or Girls Aloud, then again, due to the limitations with the internet, these answers would had given a totally different impression. What you should had done is said The Funk Brothers, Iron Maiden, Girls Aloud, Cliff Richard, Bo Didley, Duran Duran and Miles Davis. That way I would had been really confused and probably jumped off a tall building .... with my U2 records :rolleyes: :D ;)[/quote]

:)

Best thing to do with those U2 records IMO mate :lol:

:lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='424133' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:18 PM']Who cares, rice pudding is sh*t. Treacle Tart is so much better :)[/quote]

But what has treacle tart done for puddings as we know them that Rice pudding hasn't?

I bet more rice pudding variants have been sold than treacle tarts for a start...

[quote name='Linus27' post='423102' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:41 PM']Not sure who is more of a t*t. Bono or Morrisey. Morrisey keeps raving on about being a eco friendly vegatarian celibate ponse who dances around with flowers in his back pocket with an elvis quiff singing the same morbid depresive lyrics about someone either in a coma or about to be run over by a bus.

Have to disagree on the sales point. The reason it was raised was because it was claimed U2 were over-rated. 144 million album sales really shows that a lot of people like them and so they can't really be classed as over-rated. Their last album alone sold 9 million. To put it in perspective, Stock Atkin and Waterman have sold 40 million worldwide. A drop in the ocean compared to U2 sales. The argument of sales versus quality however is very different but that was not being discussed.[/quote]

No one slags off The Smiths on my watch!

Totally unique.

I do agree however that Morrissry's solo stuff is crap and is totally lucklustre with out Marr & Rourke.

[quote name='51m0n' post='424121' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:08 PM']I stand by my point regarding what they did to extend the canon of popular music. Compared to which U2 have frankly done virtually nothing (IMO).[/quote]

I would not say U2 have done virtually nothing to extend the canon of popular music. So many bands have been influenced by U2. Radiohead, Coldplay, Snow Patrol for example. u2 themselves were influenced by The Ramones, The Beatles and Joy Division.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='424136' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:22 PM']No one slags off The Smiths on my watch!

Totally unique.

I do agree however that Morrissry's solo stuff is crap and is totally lucklustre with out Marr & Rourke.[/quote]

Dhiaria is unique also :) :rolleyes: (hides under table)

[quote name='Linus27' post='424138' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:26 PM']I would not say U2 have done virtually nothing to extend the canon of popular music. So many bands have been influenced by U2. Radiohead, Coldplay, Snow Patrol for example. u2 themselves were influenced by The Ramones, The Beatles and Joy Division.[/quote]

You see once again you try and say one thing and I'm pretty sure I'm hearing a different meaning here.

I [b]think[/b] you are trying to say how much U2 have done to extend the canon of popular music, and yet the list you give of influenced bands is one that corresponds exactly to my list of thoroughly overrated drivel.

Wow, thats scarily accurate....

So if I liked U2 I might like Coldplay and Radiohead, or Snow Patrol?

Damned glad I am where I am on this one then!

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='424135' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:22 PM']But what has treacle tart done for puddings as we know them that Rice pudding hasn't?

I bet more rice pudding variants have been sold than treacle tarts for a start...[/quote]

No Way. Every kid in school chose Treacle Tart over Rice Pudding. Also, rice pudding is trying to trick us all. Its a savory food, either plain with curry or chinese. It them turns up trying to be a pudding. It just don't know what it wants to be. HAHA a bit like U2 these days, lost of direction :) :rolleyes: