Why become a member? ×

U2 on J. Ross Show.....

Marcus

I quite like them.

I didn't like the new song when I first heard it, but it has grown on me over time. Vocals sound a bit like QOTSA in parts, as do the chords in chorus progression (if you can call it that)

Production is very strange though, for a band who make hundreds of millions a year.

[quote]and they're led by a twat with a Messiah complex...[/quote]
Don't really want to get into the "U2 are c**p" thing...

...but, I am reminded of an old joke:

[i]What's the difference between Nelson Mandela and Bono?

Nelson Mandela doesn't think he's God.[/i]

OK, I never said it was a [i]good[/i] joke :)

Steve

Much as I hate Bonehead and all that he stands for I thought the roof gig was ok.(mainly because of the scenery)
The new songs they played are absolute crap imho. Mind you if they did anymore songs I would have got bored.
Speaking of people I dislike,Chris Evans was on the roof also.

It's a shame someone didn't make a difference and push 'em off. :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='Marcus' post='421491' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:57 AM']I was so bored with their performance I managed to notice that Adam Claypool is now using Aguilar (Looked like a DB750 with a DB410 15)

How's he get such a crap sound with such nice gear ?!?!?[/quote]

I think the whole studio sound is so compressed to make it broadcastable. Oh, and to let Bono stand out even more, even if he has to end up lying across a few laps. Pathetic.

Boring wall of sound songs: I turned the sound down so as not to disturb the cat.

PS. Did I see David Eden gear in the Edge's rack.

Balcro

[quote name='NJE' post='421755' date='Feb 28 2009, 03:31 PM']THANK GOD! after so many years of thinking this band are completely useless I have found a whole bunch of people who think the same. Drastically overrated and just goes to show that expensive gear and good sound engineering does not make good musicians/bands.[/quote]

...in your opinion. I doubt many people on this site will ever be part of a band as well looked up too as U2, and I mean that in the kindest possible way. They're great songwriters, like them or not. I'm not a fan at all, but it does get my wick a bit when people put forward something as fact when it is simply their own opinion.

I also don't think it's remotely fair to slag Adam Clayton off whatsoever, or his choice of gear, or his technique. Technical credibility has nothing to do with anything if you're part of a band that you're happy in, have written timeless songs with and have made a friggin' fortune with. I'd prefer to be him than Richard Bona, that's for sure.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='422169' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:06 AM']I also don't think it's remotely fair to slag Adam Clayton off whatsoever, or his choice of gear, or his technique. Technical credibility has nothing to do with anything if you're part of a band that you're happy in, have written timeless songs with and have made a friggin' fortune with. I'd prefer to be him than Richard Bona, that's for sure.[/quote]

Its called free speech. We all reserve the right to slag off whoever we like whether the reasons in your mind are justifiable or not. And you reserve the right to reply.
I think it is great that people speak their mind on these matters and if offense takes place then good. As a great politician once said "Nobody has the right not to be offended"
I don't like U2 , never have
I think Bonio is an arrogant c**t
In his interview with Lauren Laverne he was up his own arse, condescending and sounded pretty ordinary in the songs they did. Even his own band members are very diplomatic in what they say about him.
On Jonathan Ross he went into the crowd and laid across the laps of 3 women , it was creepy and even my Mrs said "who the f*** does he think he is" and that is exactly the question, who the f*** does he think he is ?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='422244' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:28 AM']Its called free speech. We all reserve the right to slag off whoever we like whether the reasons in your mind are justifiable or not. And you reserve the right to reply.
I think it is great that people speak their mind on these matters and if offense takes place then good. As a great politician once said "Nobody has the right not to be offended"
In his interview with Lauren Laverne he was up his own arse, condescending and sounded pretty ordinary in the songs they did. Even his own band members are very diplomatic in what they say about him.
On Jonathan Ross he went into the crowd and laid across the laps of 3 women , it was creepy and even my Mrs said "who the f*** does he think he is" and that is exactly the question, who the f*** does he think he is ?[/quote]

Thought it was hilarious how one of the women (sitting in the aisle seet) just wan't bothered and was clearly thinking Tw@t !!

[quote name='Marcus' post='422248' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:35 AM']Thought it was hilarious how one of the women (sitting in the aisle seet) just wan't bothered and was clearly thinking Tw@t !![/quote]

I though they looked quite perturbed !
Anyone who wears sunglasses inside is a tw@t in my book...

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='422169' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:06 AM']...in your opinion. I doubt many people on this site will ever be part of a band as well looked up too as U2, and I mean that in the kindest possible way. They're great songwriters, like them or not. I'm not a fan at all, but it does get my wick a bit when people put forward something as fact when it is simply their own opinion.

I also don't think it's remotely fair to slag Adam Clayton off whatsoever, or his choice of gear, or his technique. Technical credibility has nothing to do with anything if you're part of a band that you're happy in, have written timeless songs with and have made a friggin' fortune with. I'd prefer to be him than Richard Bona, that's for sure.[/quote]

Presumably, when [b]you[/b] put forward the above as "fact", it is simply [b]your[/b] opinion too? ;) :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Not sure too many people would want to be "as well looked up to" as U2 - at least not around these parts, although I wouldn't mind 10% of their ill gotten gains. :)

Still, one man's meat etc. :lol:

Whatever you may think of U2 (and yes, they are great songwriters [i]if you like their songs[/i]), I think NJE is exactly right with:[quote]expensive gear and good sound engineering does not make good musicians/bands[/quote]
This may or may not be the case for Bonio and his mates, but is definitely true of many a band or artist. The converse can also often be the case. How many utterly brilliant bands/musicians have you seen playing cheap gear? Loads.

Much of this is like the arguments we used to have at school when I was about 14. :)

What exactly is a good/great musician? A great band? Great songs? Anyone who rigidly defines any of these things is only doing so in their own terms.

Personally I think Adam Clayton does exactly what he needs to do in U2, no more, no less (and no I'm not a huge fan of the band). In my terms that makes him a good musician. Has he got chops? Who knows? Who cares? If you care more about his chops than what he plays in the song then personally I think you need to re evaluate your own attitude to playing. I also think that simply because someone doesn't play a part how you might play it doesn't mean they're bad or are playing it wrongly. We all have our musical preferences.

It's easy to slag things off, but I think a "doesn't do it for me" attitude is much better than a "it's crap" attitude. I also think it's incredibly childish to slag off a band in the way some have here simply because you don't like them. As for the Edge, he created a unique guitar style. There was no-one playing like him when he first came to prominence. Now of course it's part of everyday guitar consciousness. That makes him a [i]great[/i] musician in my terms.

FWIW, I also thought Clayton's tone with the semi-acoustic was really nice. Others probably think differently. So what? You could have the same argument about any tone that's ever been used (and doubtless will do at some point).

Oh BTW, I danced with joy the day my Aguilar cabs went. I absolutely hated them. You know what? Others love them. That's fine by me.

Edited by 4000

U2 = Corporate rock at its worst

And my prefered term for their lead singer; Bongo... always makes me chuckle.

:)

Love the way beeb gave them all this airtime (paid for by our license fees) and free use of their rooftop - a struggling band like U2 really need all the help they can get - especially when it took them 5 years to record the new album - and it's still a mediocre re-run of the stuff they've been playing for the last ten years.

M

[quote name='Prosebass' post='422244' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:28 AM']Its called free speech. We all reserve the right to slag off whoever we like whether the reasons in your mind are justifiable or not. And you reserve the right to reply.
On Jonathan Ross he went into the crowd and laid across the laps of 3 women , it was creepy and even my Mrs said "who the f*** does he think he is" and that is exactly the question, who the f*** does he think he is ?[/quote]

I was perhaps referring less to Bono's personality and more about their music. I agree free speech is all good, but I think it's too easy slag off a player like Adam Clayton. I don't actually think he's done much wrong in terms of bass playing, unless there's something I've missed?

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='422272' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:18 AM']Presumably, when [b]you[/b] put forward the above as "fact", it is simply [b]your[/b] opinion too? ;) :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Not sure too many people would want to be "as well looked up to" as U2 - at least not around these parts, although I wouldn't mind 10% of their ill gotten gains. :)

Still, one man's meat etc. :lol:[/quote]

No, that's still my opinion. I think a lot of people round here would like to be part of a successful band with massive success and a great love for their music, which (IMO) is exactly the same thing.

I don't usually join in these things because it's just down to taste but I must admit I am mystified by the enormity of U2s popularity. I listen carefully to try and hear what appeals to people and frankly can't. I think they've written a couple of good melodies but I'm stunned that that alone has sustained such popularity. There is not a great deal to commend them musically. To my mind they are The Police with none of the musiciancship or creative talent, so the jangling reverb guitar led trio sound without much to make it feature in my ears, and I'm willing to give everything a chance. I listened carefully on friday and could discern very little of what I would describe as good or talented or musical. Obviously millions hear something I don't.
Or do they.......?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='422433' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:10 PM']I don't usually join in these things because it's just down to taste but I must admit I am mystified by the enormity of U2s popularity. I listen carefully to try and hear what appeals to people and frankly can't. I think they've written a couple of good melodies but I'm stunned that that alone has sustained such popularity. There is not a great deal to commend them musically. To my mind they are The Police with none of the musiciancship or creative talent, so the jangling reverb guitar led trio sound without much to make it feature in my ears, and I'm willing to give everything a chance. I listened carefully on friday and could discern very little of what I would describe as good or talented or musical. Obviously millions hear something I don't.
Or do they.......?[/quote]

There are plenty of people who don't like music and don't know it. Music that fails to make any impression at all except maybe a recogniseable bit they can identify it from is all that is required.

They have a guitarplayer with a unique sound who influenced thousands of other players, they have a good bassplayer who knows his place and has some great basslines (Stories for Boys, Mysterious Ways, etc...), they have a driving drummer who is solid and they have a powerful singer with charisma and something to say. They moved millions of people with more than a couple of great songs...
What's more childish than saying " X sucks...."
Instead of putting down creative people who have succeeded, try to write a good song yourself.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='422441' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:28 PM']They have a guitarplayer with a unique sound who influenced thousands of other players, they have a good bassplayer who knows his place and has some great basslines (Stories for Boys, Mysterious Ways, etc...), they have a driving drummer who is solid and they have a powerful singer with charisma and something to say. They moved millions of people with more than a couple of great songs...
Instead of putting down creative people who have succeeded, try to write a good song yourself.[/quote]

As in:

[b]"Stop expressing your opinion on a public forum and get on with writing some songs yourself"[/b] ?

May as well close BassChat down now then!! :) :rolleyes: :D

There was me thinking I had a right to say what I thought.

What a silly man I am. ;)

There's a difference between a solid opinion and useless remarks like "Yeah, Bono is an idiot" or "I think The Edge is stupid and my mother thinks so too".
As soon as a band is famous there seem to be a change and you're not supposed to like them anymore.
Everyone has a right to have an opinion but how many are actually saying or explaning something ?
Reminds me of those thousands comments on Youtube : who cares ?
U2 certainly doesn't...

edit : I always enjoy the comments of a forummember Bilbo230763, interesting to read, no envy, good insight and I learn a lot, makes a big differences with all the other important opinioooooooooooons.

Edited by wombatboter

[quote name='wombatboter' post='422448' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:42 PM']There's a difference between a solid opinion and useless remarks like "Yeah, Bono is an idiot" or "I think The Edge is stupid and my mother thinks so too".
As soon as a band is famous there seem to be a change and you're not supposed to like them anymore.
Everyone has a right to have an opinion but how many are actually saying or explaning something ?
Reminds me of those thousands comments on Youtube : who cares ?
U2 certainly doesn't...

edit : I always enjoy the comments of a forummember Bilbo230763, interesting to read, no envy, good insight and I learn a lot, makes a big differences with all the other important opinioooooooooooons.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='wombatboter' post='422441' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:28 PM']They have a guitarplayer with a unique sound who influenced thousands of other players, they have a good bassplayer who knows his place and has some great basslines (Stories for Boys, Mysterious Ways, etc...), they have a driving drummer who is solid and they have a powerful singer with charisma and something to say. They moved millions of people with more than a couple of great songs...
Instead of putting down creative people who have succeeded, try to write a good song yourself.[/quote]

I've really got to +1 on this. I of course realise everyone is very much entitled to opinions, but if were to apply the logic of 'frontman = bit of a knob' to everything then you'd have to hate the Beatles, Gun's N Roses, Radiohead etc. I just don't think it should work like that. :)