Why become a member? ×

U2 on J. Ross Show.....

Marcus

[quote name='Rich' post='423103' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:42 PM']U2? Absolutely diabolical.

It was notoriously difficult to fly and land, with a very high stall speed and a need for extraordinary equipment balance, leading to many operational accidents within the first few months of its operation. Later versions have however addressed most of these early faults.[/quote]
I have seen a suggestion that there was some sabotage to Gary Powers' U2 to make the altimeter underread, which meant he was flying low enough to be brought down.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='423094' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:35 PM']I'm going to be a pedant too and point out that the Philistines were actually quite advanced in comparison to their contemporary neighbours.[/quote]
Excellent observation.. see where would we be without these debates... learning about history and everything.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423163' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:20 PM']144 million album sales means an act [b]can't [/b]be over rated?!?! :) :rolleyes:

The logic of that proposal [b]totally[/b] defeats me.

I'd have thought that the very fact that sales were high would tend to lend credence to the allegation but, hey, what do I know. ;) :D[/quote]

Don't be defeated, its easy. 144 million people like their music and so buy it. You, as 1 person do not. I think the 144 million people who have bought the albums shows a lot of people like the music. See, its easy. Even taking the last album which in my opinion was ok, sold 9 million album. Where as Oasis I think have not even sold 1 million of their last album. So U2 music liked and Oasis music not so liked. After all this time, which I think is about 30 years for U2, a band that was over-rated would not had sold 144 million copies and 9 million on their last album. Surely people would had realised that if they were over-rated that they would give up buying the music.

I scorn this convention, so recurrent on these and other pages, that the more units a band sells, the (less talented / more overrated / more worthy of disparagement) they are. This is patently nonsense. There are bands you may like (or not). And there are popular bands (or not).

If the two situations coincide, lovely for you. But if they don't, I can't consider it to be of any serious significance. NOI.

I also reject, with a careless laugh, the absurd proposition that anything popular [i]must[/i] have been hyped by a illuminati-like group of sinister marketing fiends. I've been in the belly of the marketing beast, and believe me, it's more cock-up than conspiracy

These jejune arguments crop up again and again and again and again and again and again. Someone dislikes a band / style / genre / amp / instrument / individual / company and deploys transparently false logic to buttress their entirely subjective personal opinion.

If you don't like U2, fine. I don't much, either. That's all there is. No facts, no theories, no conspiracy, no nothing. Just opinions.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='423224' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:18 PM']I scorn this convention, so recurrent on these and other pages, that the more units a band sells, the (less talented / more overrated / more worthy of disparagement) they are.

I also reject, with a careless laugh, the absurd proposition that anything popular [i]must[/i] have been hyped by a illuminati-like group of sinister marketing fiends.

These arguments crop up again and again and again and again and again and again. Someone dislikes a band / style / genre / amp / instrument / individual / company and deploys transparently false logic to buttress their entirely subjective personal opinion.

If you don't like U2, fine. I don't much, either. That's all there is. No facts, no theories, no nothing.

But please don't take me for the sort of gullible hamster who would accept the ludicrous assertion that there's factually such a thing as a 'good' band; that 'bad' bands sell lots and 'good' bands don't sell lots; and that we're all being 'manipulated' by a cabalistic marketing machine. Trust me, I'm an entirely different sort of gullible hamster.[/quote]

Amen to that!! :rolleyes: :D

It just seems to be that if a band or artiste of questionable quality and/or talent (and it's a given that it [b]IS[/b] all subjective) sells shedloads of product, that would tend to suggest to me that there is at least a possibility that they could be considered to be "over rated."

On the other hand, is it not the case that there are countless bands or artistes of glaringly obvious quality and/or talent who sell little or nothing or may even be unsigned and would it not be reasonable to consider them to be "under rated"?

Or am I missing something? :)

Ah, almost as entertaining as the Liam Gallagher thread :)

Personally and IMHO....

U2 have written some pretty decent tunes, but they have also written some goddamn AWFUL ones.
They have an instantly recognisable sound which sets them apart from most mainstream drivel, but they REALLY aren't as good as they like to think they are...
They have a lead singer who annoys the turds out of me. If he lay across my lap on a TV programme, while ignoring the outstretched hands of his fans a couple of seats away I'd tell him to "get off my f*cking lap unless he wants a kicking"....
I have no opinion on Adam Clayton. He seems to do a solid enough job for the band though.....

....and I defend my right as freespeaking Basschat member to have these opinions. :rolleyes:

[quote name='tauzero' post='423253' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:34 PM']I think they still are, BassDirect Mark's still playing for them.[/quote]

Maybe I should have quantified "Kellogg's Pop Tarts" :) got into enough trouble lately....

Looks like other forums like this line of discussion...

[quote]what's the difference between god and bono? god doesn't think he's bono.

he's a cock (and I've met him). bono that is, not god.[/quote] :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423235' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:25 PM']On the other hand, is it not the case that there are countless bands or artistes of glaringly obvious quality and/or talent who sell little or nothing or may even be unsigned and would it not be reasonable to consider them to be "under rated"?

Or am I missing something? :)[/quote]

Not always the case because those artists do not have the commecial backing and exposure to get noticed to a wider audience. It does not mean they are under-rated. It's more of a case that they are just not very well known. Again, this goes back to the point of people liking U2. The early U2 albums only sold a few million. However, the popularity was growing and the next few albums sold more and more copies until they peaked with the Joshua Tree at 25 million. Coming up to date they are still selling 9 million copies so the popularity is still high. Take a band like Oasis who sold a few million early on but the last few albums have really dropped in album sales and I don't think even hit 1 million. I guess people/fans just don't rate them as much anymore. As for Westlife, I don't like them but for what they, I would rate them as one of the better boybands. They are clearly popular and the grannies and young girlies rate them very highly.

Anyway, I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this so best we just drop it and agree to disagree. I really don't want to get into arguments on this very fine forum. This is one of the nicest forums I read and I would sooner keep it that way and try to remain friends with everyone :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423235' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:25 PM']Amen to that!! :rolleyes: :D

It just seems to be that if a band or artiste of questionable quality and/or talent (and it's a given that it [b]IS[/b] all subjective) sells shedloads of product, that would tend to suggest to me that there is at least a possibility that they could be considered to be "over rated."

On the other hand, is it not the case that there are countless bands or artistes of glaringly obvious quality and/or talent who sell little or nothing or may even be unsigned and would it not be reasonable to consider them to be "under rated"?

Or am I missing something? :)[/quote]

Absolutely no offence intended but yes, you are. ;)

* Band is 'over-rated' = Opinion
* Band is 'under-rated' = Opinion
* 'Bad' = Opinion
* 'Good' = Opinion
* Measurable number of people think band is 'good' = fact
* Large number of people think band is 'good' = fact
* Band is successful because large number of people think they're good and buy their product = Fact
* Succesful band considered to be over-rated by measurable number of people = Fact
* Band is over-rated because it's 'bad' = Opinion
* Band is 'bad' = Opinion
* Opinion is fact = Opinion
* Opinion is not fact = Fact

I posted a link of this topic on another bass-forum...If I'm amazed by these pages filled with pointless comments (wow, someone says that he doesn't like U2 : that changes everything for me, suddenly I realised that I had to change my opinion and that I was wrong !!) then I want to share this with fellow-bassplayers.
Maybe you could change the title of this topic in "My taste in music is better than that of millions of others and I want to keep on trying to convince others that I'm right"
Keep on posting...it's amusing and I keep coming back to this topic.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='423293' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:11 PM']Absolutely no offence intended but yes, you are. :)

* Band is 'over-rated' = Opinion
* Band is 'under-rated' = Opinion
* 'Bad' = Opinion
* 'Good' = Opinion
* Measurable number of people think band is 'good' = fact
* Large number of people think band is 'good' = fact
* Band is successful because large number of people think they're good and buy their product = Fact
* Succesful band considered to be over-rated by measurable number of people = Fact
* Band is over-rated because it's 'bad' = Opinion
* Band is 'bad' = Opinion
* Opinion is fact = Opinion
* Opinion is not fact = Fact[/quote]

No, I do appreciate all of that.

[b]But [/b]does that not mean, then, that no band can be over or under rated - except in someone else's opinion? :rolleyes: :D

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423351' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:04 PM'][u][b]Linus27:[/b][/u]

Could [b]not [/b]agree more with the final para of your last post.

I would no more expect to persuade you toward my opinion than you would expect me to dash out and buy the entire U2 back catalogue.[/quote]

You mean you don't have the entire works of Bono and boys??? Disgusting. You should download it now :):):rolleyes::):D

Hope to chat with you again soon.

[quote name='Linus27' post='423395' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:36 PM']You mean you don't have the entire works of Bono and boys??? Disgusting. You should download it now :):):rolleyes::):D

Hope to chat with you again soon.[/quote]

I know.

I'm sure you can imagine how deeply ashamed I am. :lol: ;) ;) :lol:

Look forward to chatting with you too.

[quote name='Rich' post='423103' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:42 PM']U2? Absolutely diabolical.

It was notoriously difficult to fly and land, with a very high stall speed and a need for extraordinary equipment balance, leading to many operational accidents within the first few months of its operation. Later versions have however addressed most of these early faults.[/quote]
:)

At least I have a reason for disliking bonehead.
I had the misfortune of seeing them at Twickenham on their last tour.

Misfortune? Yes! Here's why:

Paid£ 75.00 for tkt. 1st few songs were ok (I do like some of their stuff,my friend likes'em alot so I went along)
Anyway, about half way through the set bonehead puts this stupid rag on his head and
rants for an eternity that WE SHOULD DONATE AS MUCH AS WE CAN to various charities.
I've never been to a concert where a number to text is dominating the whole stadium.

Where is his tax free money secured??? Why weren't the tkts cheaper??
I didn't pay to see a preacher!!
I'm sure that many bands donate without the big I AM!!

If Lennon can get shot so can bonehead!

By the way ,love 'em or not they are good musicians at the end of the day. Not knocking that..
..just that tosspot of a singer.Or is that the chosen one ?

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE