Why become a member? ×

U2 on J. Ross Show.....

Marcus

[quote name='BeLow' post='422480' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:43 PM']I think this is Basschat at its worst.

I actually find the whole thing depressing and it is what has resulted in myself and others coming on here far less in the last couple of years.

But hey who cares as long as you have exercised your free speech in order to slag something off and have a good rant about nothing much at all.

Well done keep it up. Cheerio[/quote]

+1.

My point has always been and always will be that just because you don't like or understand something or understand what other people see in it, that does not make it crap. "Crap" is purely subjective anyway. Everyone is entitled to dislike something (there are certainly some bands and musicians I'm not keen on), but that doesn't mean it's worthless. If that was the case nothing would have any worth because there is always someone who won't like something whatever it is. This goes for bands, musicians, art, anything.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='422433' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:10 PM']I don't usually join in these things because it's just down to taste but I must admit I am mystified by the enormity of U2s popularity. I listen carefully to try and hear what appeals to people and frankly can't. I think they've written a couple of good melodies but I'm stunned that that alone has sustained such popularity. There is not a great deal to commend them musically. To my mind they are The Police with none of the musiciancship or creative talent, so the jangling reverb guitar led trio sound without much to make it feature in my ears, and I'm willing to give everything a chance. I listened carefully on friday and could discern very little of what I would describe as good or talented or musical. Obviously millions hear something I don't.
Or do they.......?[/quote]

I think the point is they [i]move[/i] people, and that's something that is very difficult to quantify.

Not one of U2s better songs but hardly worth getting all worked up about...

Anyone is perfectly entitled to voice their opinions here so long as they don't contravene the forum rules, but equally everyone else is entitled to mock you for those opinions if they don't agree.

After all it's just an opinion...

Well this is good a discussion that doesn't center around "where should I position the mid pan pot on my next custom bass"

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='422445' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:34 PM']As in:

[b]"Stop expressing your opinion on a public forum and get on with writing some songs yourself"[/b] ?

May as well close BassChat down now then!! :rolleyes: :D :lol:

There was me thinking I had a right to say what I thought.

What a silly man I am. ;)[/quote]

;) :lol:

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='422475' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:34 PM']I've really got to +1 on this. I of course realise everyone is very much entitled to opinions, but if were to apply the logic of 'frontman = bit of a knob' to everything then you'd have to hate the Beatles, Gun's N Roses, Radiohead etc. I just don't think it should work like that. :)[/quote]

Would you believe it I dislike the Beatles, Guns N Roses and Radiohead .....and I jest not.

[quote name='BeLow' post='422480' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:43 PM']I think this is Basschat at its worst.

I actually find the whole thing depressing and it is what has resulted in myself and others coming on here far less in the last couple of years.

But hey who cares as long as you have exercised your free speech in order to slag something off and have a good rant about nothing much at all.

Well done keep it up. Cheerio[/quote]

Bye

[quote name='4000' post='422528' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:30 PM']I think the point is they [i]move[/i] people, and that's something that is very difficult to quantify.[/quote]

Bit like the Catholic Church then ?

What I find very strange is members telling other members how they should be expressing themselves....surely thats up to the individual ?
If your heroes are being slagged off then don't throw your toys out of the pram but put a valid argument forward as to why you like them. If others still think they are "crap" and say so then either agree to disagree or read your copy of the Daily Mail.

As this is in the "General Bass Discussion" section I feel I have to add that Adam Clayton clearly is a bass player as he plays with his fingers not a pick.

You may not like what he does, but he does exactly what is required keeping a solid base to the songs with the kit.

As for the band you may not like the music - I like some bits not others - but as others have said they have produced music that has moved many and have what you need in a band with a charismatic front man (who many will feel comes off as a knob, but that's the front man role surely)

[quote]Bye[/quote]

I read that reply to Below's very articulate post and one word popped into my head:

w***er!

I think you're spot on Jon, and that reply reinforced your comment one hundredfold..

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

I'm not even a big U2 fan but I'm just struck by the negativity there is on this forum... putting musicians down and really not contributing anything except saying "no". That's just the easiest thing there is and I see that all around me. If it should be encouraged that more totally useless remarks should be made all in the name of 'I'm entitled to my opinion"... well go ahead. As soon someone says anything about the uselessness they get the reaction "But we can write anything we like..". If only it would add something to what I don't know
I'm not interested in that sort of people.. "McCartney is a lousy bassplayer" "Knopfler wrote stupid songs" "Slipknot rules and is better than Jamiroquai"
Sigh.......
You probably also won't care about the fact that there is such a big difference between reading on Bass-chat and other bass-forums across Europe where there seems to be just a tiny little bit more respect and positivity.

I am unashamed of my dislike of U2. Years it's been going on now, man and boy. I could never miss an opportunity to express my dismay that such a banal act has inflicted itself on my conciousness for so bloody long.

U2 week on the BBC? A new album by a tired old act masquerading as a social event, a musical happening. Just one long commercial for a band I've never liked pumped out over all the BBC's networks. There's been no escape and it really grinds my gears.

If I was in any danger of buying a TV licence I'd be gutted at patronising such corporate shillary... and such hoary old, foot on monitor, rock god posturing. I didn't like it 25 years ago and I don't like it now. :)

I'm not a U2 fan myself. There have been times in the dim recesses of my memory that I have enjoyed listening to their stuff (Joshua Tree comes to mind). But, (never begin a sentence with but) there are literally millions of folk out there that do enjoy their music and I accept and respect that. I also accept that I don't actually know any of the band (I'm not ever likely to) who are probably okay dads, sons, brothers, drinking buddies, mates etc. Even if they aren't who am I to judge?

If I were to go around calling people I don't actually know c**ts, or whatever I really would be acting pretty judgementally and with narrow minded bigotry imo. But, (again that but at the beginning of a sentence) a lot of folk on here seem to be very adept at it.

Peter

[quote name='Shambo' post='422625' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:21 PM']I am unashamed of my dislike of U2. Years it's been going on now, man and boy. I could never miss an opportunity to express my dismay that such a banal act has inflicted itself on my conciousness for so bloody long.

U2 week on the BBC? A new album by a tired old act masquerading as a social event, a musical happening. Just one long commercial for a band I've never liked pumped out over all the BBC's networks. There's been no escape and it really grinds my gears.

If I was in any danger of buying a TV licence I'd be gutted at patronising such corporate shillary... and such hoary old, foot on monitor, rock god posturing. I didn't like it 25 years ago and I don't like it now. :)[/quote]

How negative!! ;) :rolleyes: :lol: :D

On the button though.

IMHO, obviously. :lol:

Disliking something is legitimate. Slagging something off is pointless and should simply be ignored as the slagger is either not worth listening to, is having a bad day or has a raw nerve for the item.
I think jumping on it as 'negativity' is not quite deserving of the level of complaint that seems to arise here.

Edited by jakesbass

I really am going to have to bite my tongue here. I would probably say I am the biggest U2 fan on this board so a lot of the comments are bugging me and annoying the crap out of me. I don't mind the comments saying I don't like U2, or Bono etc but saying a band is over-rated or crap really is pretty lame. A band as big as U2 in all honesty can't be classed as over rated. You may not like them but selling 144 million albums worldwide does not make them overated unless your opinion means more than 144 million people.

Boy : ~3m
October : ~3m
War : ~8m
UABRS : ~8m
Unforgettable Fire : ~8m
WAIA : ~2m
Joshua Tree : ~25m
Rattle & Hum : ~14m
Achtung Baby : ~17m
Zooropa : ~8m
Pop : ~6m
Best of 1980-90 : ~16m
ATYCLB : ~12m
Best of 1990-00 : ~5m
HTDAAB : ~9m
Total = ~144 million

Also, having worked with some of the engineers/producers of U2 albums, I know what a lot of them think and say of the band as musicians. I would bet a large amount of money that a lot of people here would not be able to play Adam's bass lines as well as he. He is considered one of the tightest, spot on in time bass players around. I agree, he is not one of the most technical and he knows it but U2's music does not require that which I must admit, in my opinion is a shame. For the record, I find Adam's bass playing far more intersting within the context of the song than say listening to Victor Wooton or Jaco. To much noodling or fret w***ing and not enough substance.

Early U2 songs had some great bass lines but it is a shame that U2 have gone away from this sound. In my opinion, The Edge is relying on far too many effects these days. They are still writing some great songs but I think they are trying to be too clever with the way they are presenting them. I would love to see U2 go back to the War/Unforgetable Fire period but I can't see it ever happening. The last album sold 9 million copies and the one before that 12 million. They are clearly doing somerthing right.

As for the new album, well I think its sh*t. Honestly, I think the songs are weak, bland and totally lost of direction. I got the leaked copy some weeks ago and I thought it was a joke. Sadly, it is not. Ok, there are one or two good songs but most of it is very very weak. The general feeing among the U2 news group I am a member of also feel this way. I also agree that the recent live shows on the BBC and French TV etc have be very very poor.

Anyway, I just hope some can put it in perspective and see that you may not like U2, or Bono as a frontman or Adam's bass playing and you may hate the songs but the sales show for themselves that they certainly are not overrated. Enough people like them but your just not one of them :) :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Linus27' post='422661' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:02 PM']I really am going to have to bite my tongue here. I would probably say I am the biggest U2 fan on this board so a lot of the comments are bugging me and annoying the crap out of me. I don't mind the comments saying I don't like U2, or Bono etc but saying a band is over-rated or crap really is pretty lame. A band as big as U2 in all honesty can't be classed as over rated. You may not like them but selling 144 million albums worldwide does not make them overated unless your opinion means more than 144 million people.

Boy : ~3m
October : ~3m
War : ~8m
UABRS : ~8m
Unforgettable Fire : ~8m
WAIA : ~2m
Joshua Tree : ~25m
Rattle & Hum : ~14m
Achtung Baby : ~17m
Zooropa : ~8m
Pop : ~6m
Best of 1980-90 : ~16m
ATYCLB : ~12m
Best of 1990-00 : ~5m
HTDAAB : ~9m
Total = ~144 million

Also, having worked with some of the engineers/producers of U2 albums, I know what a lot of them think and say of the band as musicians. I would bet a large amount of money that a lot of people here would not be able to play Adam's bass lines as well as he. He is considered one of the tightest, spot on in time bass players around. I agree, he is not one of the most technical and he knows it but U2's music does not require that which I must admit, in my opinion is a shame. For the record, I find Adam's bass playing far more intersting within the context of the song than say listening to Victor Wooton or Jaco. To much noodling or fret w***ing and not enough substance.

Early U2 songs had some great bass lines but it is a shame that U2 have gone away from this sound. In my opinion, The Edge is relying on far too many effects these days. They are still writing some great songs but I think they are trying to be too clever with the way they are presenting them. I would love to see U2 go back to the War/Unforgetable Fire period but I can't see it ever happening. The last album sold 9 million copies and the one before that 12 million. They are clearly doing somerthing right.

As for the new album, well I think its sh*t. Honestly, I think the songs are weak, bland and totally lost of direction. I got the leaked copy some weeks ago and I thought it was a joke. Sadly, it is not. Ok, there are one or two good songs but most of it is very very weak. The general feeing among the U2 news group I am a member of also feel this way. I also agree that the recent live shows on the BBC and French TV etc have be very very poor.

Anyway, I just hope some can put it in perspective and see that you may not like U2, or Bono as a frontman or Adam's bass playing and you may hate the songs but the sales show for themselves that they certainly are not overrated. Enough people like them but your just not one of them :) :rolleyes: :D[/quote]

Preaching to the choir in me, though I like the new album loads, my advice, don't bite.

Edited by P-T-P

[quote name='4000' post='422528' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:30 PM']I think the point is they [i]move[/i] people, and that's something that is very difficult to quantify.[/quote]

That is certainly true, and I wouldn't be stupid and try to deny the legitimacy of others enjoying it, in fact vive la difference, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things

[quote name='Shambo' post='422680' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:21 PM']You couldn't elaborate that for me could you? I'd honestly love to know.[/quote]

I could, but I won't, it's not going to change anything, other than waste a load of my time.

Why are people getting so wound up? And by this I mean both the U2-haters [i]and[/i] the negativity-haters. Christ guys, at the end of the day it's only a band and a few opinions. Unless you happen to be one of the band members, none of the comments are aimed at you, and unless the law has drastically changed in the last 30 minutes, you don't [i]have[/i] to listen to the music.
As at least one of our members will testify, far far worse things could be happening in your world right now and this is all, when it comes down to it, pointless. Come on people, calm down eh?

Ooops, anger alert! We really aren't allowed to get angry - we're British ferchrissake.

I've no problem with folk not liking U2 or any other band/artist. When people start to place personal attacks on people they don't know from Adam it all becomes something of the great British malaise that I used to come here to get away from.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='jakesbass' post='422679' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:20 PM']That is certainly true, and I wouldn't be stupid and try to deny the legitimacy of others enjoying it, in fact vive la difference, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things[/quote]

That is the whole point surely and after all this is a "discussion" forum. Nobody is saying they are not successful but that in itself does not mean I have to like their music. The other 3 band members come across as good guys and talk a lot of sense. Bono just comes across as a member.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='422689' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:30 PM']Ooops, anger alert! We really aren't allowed to get angry - we're British ferchrissake.

I've no problem with folk not liking U2 or any other band/artist. When people start to place personal attacks on people they don't know from Adam it all becomes something of the great British malaise that I used to come here to get away from.[/quote]

The very fact that they are in the public domain means they will invite good and bad reaction from people. You do not need to know someone personally to form an opinion of them. People are judged by their deeds and actions you don't need to go for a pint with them to form an opinion.

And as for those who feel this sort of debate is dragging down basschat....I don't think so. Its just one thread in many hundreds that have been discussed in the last 48 hours some childish , some banal, some informative and entertaining.
Threatening to leave because of it really is childish.
I for one drove a total of 5 hours and 260 miles yesterday to put a few faces to names at the Nottingham bash. Others much nearer couldn't be bothered. So you tell me who has the forum's best interests at heart.....

Edited by Prosebass