Why become a member? ×

Illumination!

FinnDave

After years of randomly buying basses because they appealed to me or selling them because they'd fallen out of favour, I have realised that all this shifting around of the pieces has finally revealed a pattern I can live with.

I have no idea what goes on in my head when I'm asleep (and not much idea what's going on when I'm awake, to be honest) but I woke up this morning and the master plan revealed itself. 

I currently have six basses (seven if you count the 6 string that's up for sale) and they fall neatly into three pairs, one of each pair strung with flat wound strings and the other with rounds. I didn't work towards this consciously, it has just happened. 

So I now have: 

Fender Precision (flats) paired with Epiphone JCB (rounds) - both single pick-up, wide neck basses

Fender Classic 60s Jazz sunburst (flats) paired with Fender Classic 60s Jazz white (rounds) - both Jazz basses, obviously

Fender Jazz deluxe (flats) paired with Sandberg Panther (rounds) - both two pick-up active basses

I think I may achieved bass nirvana, and now I can see the pattern clearly, if I feel the need for a new bass, it will have to fit in and replace one of the above (or I'd have to buy two new ones and extend it - but storage space then becomes a problem).

Right, you lot, pick holes in my perfect array of basses - but for now, I have reached the transcendental state of bass bliss! GAS free!!!

Amazing the many and various solutions we devise to finally close that revolving door. 

Congratulations, enjoy the tranquility while it lasts. Let's be honest though, you'll see something you fancy then fall for, then can't live without. The nagging voice telling you all this was supposed to be over will only be quiet when you remember the solution: begin the immediate search for the bass which will make this new love a pair. 

Storage space? You'll fill the room with basses and sleep outside before you stop. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

I've gone for a broad spread, even after having to sell a good few to help fund a divorce and subsequent house move.

NS CR5 upright electric with contemporary strings. Halfway between a fretless and upright in sound and feel.

Vigier Passion 5 (series III) That's the through-neck option sorted. 2 pickup active with bypass.

Warwick Infinity SN4. Set Neck covered. 2 pickup active with coil tap (HB and SC)

Warwick Fortress Masterman 5. Big single pickup, split in two with an active EQ for each coil. Weird, but good.

Ibanez EDB605 because everyone needs a plastic bodied bass with a 3band EQ

10 String Rosewood Chapman Stick. I still need to work out a way to tune the bass side in 4ths as I don't need the range that 5ths gives and most of the lines I play were written on instruments tuned in 4ths.

Scattershot approach for me, but it's not as random as it looks!

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Amazing the many and various solutions we devise to finally close that revolving door. 

Congratulations, enjoy the tranquility while it lasts. Let's be honest though, you'll see something you fancy then fall for, then can't live without. The nagging voice telling you all this was supposed to be over will only be quiet when you remember the solution: begin the immediate search for the bass which will make this new love a pair. 

Storage space? You'll fill the room with basses and sleep outside before you stop. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Not sure whether you're talking about me or yourself there! Either way, I suspect you're right. I'll enjoy this period of tranquility, undisturbed by the thought that I need a new bass for as long as it lasts, though.

Just now, fretmeister said:

Missing a Stingray.

And short scales or EB0 type things.

School Report: Must try harder!

My first bass was a short scale - it would feel lie a real step back to the past to play one again. 

Although I don't do it, fretless with a pick can sound great!

In terms of your strategy, as well as the fretless hole, none of your basses have enough frets. And don't say you never go up there! And you 've got nothing with a whammy bar! What are you thinking?

Ah, ok- I had a look online and thought they only had 22. My bad as they say!

But still, with neither Fretless or whammy bar you are missing out on lots of slidey, wibbly nonsense. 

Since however you have freely admitted to spending an inordinate amount of time up at the dusty end, we are prepared to overlook this oversight and allow you to proceed with this strategy. 😀👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

Since however you have freely admitted to spending an inordinate amount of time up at the dusty end, we are prepared to overlook this oversight and allow you to proceed with this strategy. 😀👍

I can't begin to express the relief I feel now I've read that. I expect to sleep soundly tonight, last night I was up all night worrying about my bass strategy.

:)

• Like 1

As always, there is a flaw in even the most perfect of plans. For yesterday's bass practice (2 hours 40 minutes of playing along to a couple of live Grateful Dead CDs), I used the Precision which has had flats on it for over a year now. In that year, I might have played it once. Now I know why - the flats really don't suit it. I've still got the barely used set of D'addario rounds I took off and am very tempted to change back. That buggers my perfect bass plan right up!