Why become a member? ×

WAL 5 Geddy Lee Custom

spiritchaser

I am loving the body colour! It picks up the wood finish beautifully. I'm tempted to do this to my Olive Ash Mach I!!! What about the neck though? I'm surprised you didn't take this back to the original natural finish, as the black makes it look quite dark and heavy?

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='433858' date='Mar 13 2009, 05:19 PM']I am loving the body colour! It picks up the wood finish beautifully. I'm tempted to do this to my Olive Ash Mach I!!! What about the neck though? I'm surprised you didn't take this back to the original natural finish, as the black makes it look quite dark and heavy?[/quote]

Hi & cheers for all your nice comments!
I can only encourage anybody to do the same. To answer your question: I didn't touch the neck, because of the wonderful contrasting colours (red/gold/black) and because stripping down the neck'd have meant problems with fitting the neck neatly into the shaft of the body again, for the paint was really thick - about 2-3 millimetres. Too risky.
Cheers
Oliver

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='471274' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:20 AM']... And in came its evil twin:

a wonderful 1993 MKII 5 with sycamore faces and skunk stripe - and the reason why I'm selling my LeFay Capone 4 :)
tc
Oliver[/quote]

Holy Moly, what a beauty. You´ve got damn good luck chasing down all these beauties, Oliver. You make us seriously jealeous.

Two truely stunning basses.

Always fancied a Wal but couldnt even begin to think about it at the price they change hands for. Might have to build my own copy...........mmm........English sycamore facings (back and front), Mahogany core, maple and purple heart five piece neck, John East filter eq, you know, it might just work :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='471645' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:00 AM']Two truely stunning basses.

Always fancied a Wal but couldnt even begin to think about it at the price they change hands for. Might have to build my own copy...........mmm........English sycamore facings (back and front), Mahogany core, maple and purple heart five piece neck, John East filter eq, you know, it might just work :)[/quote]

My Wal Fretless 5 Mark II has English Sycamore facings with a chemical wash....love the look and most of all..the sound is great. The Growl and with snap and clarity. Pic attached...oh...wait a minute...that's my avatar!

Edited by AndroWal

[quote name='AndroWal' post='472461' date='Apr 26 2009, 12:01 AM']My Wal Fretless 5 Mark II has English Sycamore facings with a chemical wash....love the look and most of all..the sound is great. The Growl and with snap and clarity. Pic attached...oh...wait a minute...that's my avatar![/quote]

Ooh that's made me come over all perculiar :rolleyes:

After my earlier post, I was thinking about building a five string fretless Wal'alike and the shot of your two has just convinced me.

A couple of years back I had a lovely slab of English Sycamore which I had resawn and I used for the top and sides of a jewelry box for Mrs JPJ. She loves and treasures the jewelry box but I cant help thinking it would have made a nicer bass top :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='472825' date='Apr 26 2009, 07:18 PM']Ooh that's made me come over all perculiar :rolleyes:

After my earlier post, I was thinking about building a five string fretless Wal'alike and the shot of your two has just convinced me.

A couple of years back I had a lovely slab of English Sycamore which I had resawn and I used for the top and sides of a jewelry box for Mrs JPJ. She loves and treasures the jewelry box but I cant help thinking it would have made a nicer bass top :)[/quote]

Well,
maybe my self-made buckeyed burl Pro WAL (only the 1979 fretless neck is original) could also tempt and inspire you to build a bass. We tried to copy the body shape of the MKI I owned at that time and realized it with the help of my wife, who's a joiner by profession and luthier Rüdiger Ziesemann of Bassline Basses Germany:
tc
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='473361' date='Apr 27 2009, 01:43 PM']Well,
maybe my self-made buckeyed burl Pro WAL (only the 1979 fretless neck is original) could also tempt and inspire you to build a bass. We tried to copy the body shape of the MKI I owned at that time and realized it with the help of my wife, who's a joiner by profession and luthier Rüdiger Ziesemann of Bassline Basses Germany:
tc
Oliver[/quote]

Stop it now with your temptation. I've already got one build on the go and all this talk of homespun Wal's is getting my whittling sticks all excited (could I really build two at once without she who must be obeyed noticing? :) )

I this this may be the only burl top i've seen that hasn't been book matched. It looks really really lovely, the anti symmetry thing is quite beautiful, i can't see why everyone book matches the tops on everything. damn i want to build another guitar.

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='473361' date='Apr 27 2009, 01:43 PM']Well,
tc
Oliver[/quote]

• 7 months later...

Recently had Rüdiger from Bassline Basses Germany convert the green fiver to a lined fretless and it sounds and plays incredibly well. Still having a hard time waiting for Paul Herman to finish my white 2010 fretted WAL 4string, though. Should be ready around March or April. :) Should roughly look like the one in the attachment, but in the MK2 shape.

Edited by spiritchaser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...