Why become a member? ×

What Do You Do If...?

lowrentdiscographer

Howdy.

My query is like this:

I want to play with other musicians, regularly, but casually. At this moment in time I don't want to form a 'band' as such, I want to play with a drummer and guitar and/or keys, from the perspective of improving myself.

All the ad's in the performance section are 'super duper bassist available for pro gigs i know every song ever written' or 'band seeking bassist to perform our very established and not to be messed with formula, you must be ready to gig yesterday'.

I don't really fit in with, or even aspire to, these things. But I'm getting bored trying to play along with songs on my stereo/ipod/youtube. Most importantly Iwant to work on the bass/drums timing and feel relationship.

I'm taking lessons, and I am coming along a bit, but I don't feel confident enough to jump in at some kind of open jam night, and would prefer to be able to chat with the other musicians about what we're doing, rather than have someone show me 4 fingers and just sink or swim.

I've looked on partysounds and musicians-in-your-city but all the ad's follow similar lines.

Is this a problem common only to me?

How did other BCers manage the asencion from bedroom/study to playing with others?

S.

[quote name='lowrentdiscographer' post='410882' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:15 AM']I'm taking lessons, and I am coming along a bit, but I don't feel confident enough to jump in at some kind of open jam night, and would prefer to be able to chat with the other musicians about what we're doing, rather than have someone show me 4 fingers and just sink or swim
How did other BCers manage the asencion from bedroom/study to playing with others?[/quote]

I jumped in to open jam nights and bluffed it; like you I didn't feel confident enough but sometimes you just need to leave the comfort zone and sink or swim. You'll most likely swim, but even if you sink it's not like you drown!

Good luck, it's an unbeatable buzz.

An ad is an ad. When did you last see one that said 'don't buy my product - it's rubbish'. A lot of the ads you see will be keen 'improvers' like yourself and not next weeks chart toppers like they say.

If you def. don't want to join a gigging (or preparing to gig ) band - look around for local 'jam' nights. You'll be expected (rightly so) to fit in with other players of various levels of skill/talent so no point in going only to play stuff you like or know. Go there and learn stuff you don't know and you might end up liking it. You may also meet folk interested in having smaller , less public get togethers for the purpose of getting to know how to play with others better.

If that's a no no ....You express yourself pretty clearly here , why not write your own ad ? There's be other musicians down the next street in exactly the same position as you.

I'm willing to bet too that there's loads of opportunities to join in with other players at colleges in your area without having to join the degree course.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[url="http://www.mia.org.uk/weekendwarriors/"]Weekend Warriors?[/url]

TBH in my experience ads are generally full of bluster and most bands don't need someone anywhere near as good as they think/say they do. If you want to play originals all you need to do is fit in with the other musicians - after all a band is the sum of it's parts and you get your originality by fitting diverse elements and influences together. If it's covers ask for an audition list and if you can play the songs your half-way there.

Bedroom players are often far better than they think they are, the only thing you're lacking is experience playing with other musicians. Go to some auditions. The worst that can happen is that the band says no and you have some more experience under your belt.

I started off as a classical musician (and still am), and so read everything. I learned to improvise as a bass player, the same as many others, at jam sessions. I joined blues bands and then progressed onto other things.

Basically, the more you get out there and play, the better you get. For example, we had a young guitarist on the Boogie Nights stage show I've just done. He's a London College of Music student, but it was his first professional show. He was in utter awe how the rest of us just sight read the whole pad on the band call without having ever seen it. He was shocked as he'd had the parts for a month! But we all told him the same as I've just said here, "You're 19, Nick. We're all significantly older, and we're just good at this game because we've had a lot of practise at it! You get better at things by getting out there and playing & reading as much as you can!"

Rich.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='410891' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:25 AM']....You express yourself pretty clearly here , why not write your own ad ? There's be other musicians down the next street in exactly the same position as you.

I'm willing to bet too that there's loads of opportunities to join in with other players at colleges in your area without having to join the degree course.[/quote]

+1

I don't know what Manchester is like but I regularly see ads for musicians who just want to jam on the London Gumtree. If you don't see any ads that fit the bill just put your own in.

Edit: [url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/48/34542448.html"]Like this ad.[/url]

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='410897' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:32 AM']+1

I don't know what Manchester is like but I regularly see ads for musicians who just want to jam on the London Gumtree. If you don't see any ads that fit the bill just put your own in.

Edit: [url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/48/34542448.html"]Like this ad.[/url][/quote]

Hyde's not too far from me either...

S.

[quote name='lowrentdiscographer' post='410882' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:15 AM']I want to play with other musicians, regularly, but casually. At this moment in time I don't want to form a 'band' as such, I want to play with a drummer and guitar and/or keys, from the perspective of improving myself.[/quote]
Try putting an ad with words to that effect on partysounds.co.uk and see what you get back. Nothing to lose. Title it: "Musicians wanted for jamming" or similar. Good luck!

Jams are not very good if you are just starting because it is a performance and you are under that pressure, plus you don't always get to choose who you play with! Get a bunch of players, no strings or expectations, and book a rehearsal studio and just play. If it's good you might just want to be in a band after all!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='410891' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:25 AM']An ad is an ad. When did you last see one that said 'don't buy my product - it's rubbish'. A lot of the ads you see will be keen 'improvers' like yourself and not next weeks chart toppers like they say.[/quote]

I went along to one "audition" for a band that wanted a professional bass player... turned out I lost the slot the moment I unzipped my gigbag to reveal a Squier VMJ...

Rather funny, as when I next saw them play with their new "professional" bass player and his fancy Fender... all he was doing was playing straight eighths on the root notes... I could easily play him off the stage any day...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='412686' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:49 AM']I went along to one "audition" for a band that wanted a professional bass player... turned out I lost the slot the moment I unzipped my gigbag to reveal a Squier VMJ...

Rather funny, as when I next saw them play with their new "professional" bass player and his fancy Fender... all he was doing was playing straight eighths on the root notes... I could easily play him off the stage any day...[/quote]

At my last audition I took the SX and left the Fender at home purely to see if they were those kind of people. Turned out they loved the tone and didn't care what it said on the headstock!

A good friend of mine and bassist runs a jam night in Tyldsley? at the RAOB club next to ALDI's every Friday night his name is Steve get yourself up there and have a look, you dont need to take your bass first time... just go and see how it runs.

This is how I started not many moons ago... gave me the confidence to get up in front of a crowd of people and play.

Go and stretch yourself... the buzz is awesome

[quote name='ped' post='412923' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:21 PM']If you have the facilities, why not try some online collaboration. I have recorded a few parts for songs via Kompoz.com and it is really good fun...

ped[/quote]

I have a Line6 Toneport UX1?

How does this idea work, do you record in realtime? Dou you get feedback straight away?

S.