Why become a member? ×

Newbie wants advice

Yojan

Hey Guys, I've been reading a few of the threads for a while and I've decided to join and ask for some advice regarding which bass guitar to buy. I initially put it on talkbass.com but didn't realise just how American the advice would be... it's tough to compare prices over the atlantic. Now, I know that it depends a lot on how it feels to me when playing it, but I'm stuck a fair way from a good guitar shop with no car, so I'm kinda resorting to internet shopping...

Anyway, I haven't played much bass but I've got a good training in piano and drums so I'm hoping I can pick it up ok. I don't have a big budget either and I'm looking for a 2nd hand bass that can keep me going for small gigs and occasional recording. I play mostly classic rock.

I'm trying to decide between a:
Squier Jazz (probably korean)
Vintage V940
Washburn XB400

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any experience you guys may have had with any of them, or any other recomendations in a similar budget (around £100-£150 second hand)

[quote name='Hamster' post='407144' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:28 PM']Of the 3 you're considering I'd go for the Vintage V940 without any hesitation. You might also consider the Vintage V4 Precision copy - [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html[/url][/quote]

I would not....You do want to be a rock,n,roll star dont you?....Groupies only know fenders.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='Hamster' post='407144' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:28 PM']Of the 3 you're considering I'd go for the Vintage V940 without any hesitation. You might also consider the Vintage V4 Precision copy - [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html[/url][/quote]

i can vouch for the v940 as well... its very good for the money

[quote name='YouMa' post='407214' date='Feb 12 2009, 01:20 AM']Buy a used fender or squier. Your resale value will be sh*t if you dont buy a name people know.[/quote]

If you sell it in here, people will know what you're selling and you'll get market value for it.

TBH I'd rather buy a budget Yamaha than a cheap Fender/Squier if we're talking sight unseen. At least Yamahas are reasonably consistent, with a Fender god knows what you'll get for your money.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='407242' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:59 AM']If you sell it in here, people will know what you're selling and you'll get market value for it.

TBH I'd rather buy a budget Yamaha than a cheap Fender/Squier if we're talking sight unseen. At least Yamahas are reasonably consistent, with a Fender god knows what you'll get for your money.[/quote]

Actually very sound advice...!

Whilst the ones you mention look like the proper thing, buying a cheap squire/fender is a bity hit and miss. Dont get me wrong it may be an absloute cracker, but it may be pretty shonky too, would you know the difference with your level of experience?

Buying a new Yamahe or 2ndhand Ibanez (even better) is a sure bet..... bit like backing the favorite on a horse race - you wont win as much as an outsider but your chances of winning are much higher.....

Does that make sense?

;)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='407247' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:23 AM']Whilst the ones you mention look like the proper thing, buying a cheap squire/fender is a bity hit and miss. Dont get me wrong it may be an absloute cracker, but it may be pretty shonky too, would you know the difference with your level of experience?[/quote]

Thanks for all the really helpful pointers. I was actually watching the Squire 70s jazz auction, but didn't win it in the end.

Looks like a tie between the Squire and the Vintage, (although I'll check out the Ibanez you mentioned). I'm definitely buying used - learnt that trick early on in my drumming days, heh. I'm not that bothered about the resale value, I'm a bit of a hoarder, tbh, so as long as it still works for me I'll probably keep hold of it.

It's a real bummer not having a car and having to shoot in the dark a bit, but you guys have been loads of help! Hopefully I can be helpful to the forum too, a bit.

[quote name='Yojan' post='407306' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:09 AM']It's a real bummer not having a car and having to shoot in the dark a bit, but you guys have been loads of help! Hopefully I can be helpful to the forum too, a bit.[/quote]

There may be a Basschat member in your area that will help ..
Edit your details to show where you are. That always helps.

Yojan, if you can get to a shop do so. At least to get a feel for the types of neck on the basses you're considering.

Drums will put you in good stead for playing bass. As a pianist you may be drawn to Ibanez, most their basses have a very bright piano like sound, however in some ways a beginner wants a more thuddy bass to start with.

Advice you are getting here about sell-on value depends on whether you will be spending much time in the bass seat. If the instrument is a keeper then ignore the advice about Fender/Squier. Likewise P/J copies/s-h are such a mixed experience I personally wouldn't consider buying them blind off the net.

Used Stingrays and Warwicks might be out your price range but keep eyes open as their prices are quite depressed at present. Fender sellers hold out for top dollar...

Hi and welcome.

All good advice above, 2nd hand is the way forward for you I reckon.

You could always look at this one ;) As an example of something other than Squier etc. A good sounding, solid bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40040"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40040[/url]

Edited by Tinman

Would recommend you stay away from 'starter kits' from stagg. my first bass was a stagg and it looked like it was made by an
apprentice joiner who didn't have any thumbs. Pup controls were all skewed, made from balsa, strings were like razors
and it made a noise like a farting morris minor.LMAO
Pic looked good on e-bay tho....
;)
Andy

[quote name='Yojan' post='407123' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:13 PM']....I'm trying to decide between a: Squier Jazz (probably korean) Vintage V940 Washburn XB400....[/quote]
As a starter I imagine that all 3 of your choices would be good, but I would go for a Squire, because I've never played the others.

[quote name='Linus27' post='407702' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:06 PM']I also recommend the Squire, either one of the Vintage or Classic Vibe models.[/quote]

+1 on the Squier. I play a 60's Classic Vibe and it's very well made. A lot of bass for the money IMO.

Edited by aceuggy

welcome
best bass is really geared to your budget, then your anticipated style, and then resale potential which i feel is most important
most start off on a bass which satisfies the above and then get dis satisfied via listening and watching others on CD and DVD and live
i guess the most generically accepted model for really starting on is the fender P clone/ model which is pretty extensive and quite a jungle of models and marques...it doesnt have to be fender
there is a great market out there in price and value for money
for low budget playing go for 4 string passive and learn to play well with what you eventually get

Edited by mrcrow

Do have a look around, I've never understood why the Classic Vibes seem so well received. Ones I've seen in several shops appear chunky, clunky and plasticy but they've gone down so well I figured it was just me. On the other hand I've picked up custom shop jazzes and found them heavy and sharp-edged. There are some very likeable P/J types out there but they don't reveal themselves in online photos. If you're really picky about instruments you have to handle them first.