Why become a member? ×

GAC 2020 - the 3 nine diet!

Al Krow

Decent quality 1x12 (or 212) cabs are not woolly in my experience. BF is a little lighter on mids in comparison to Fearless, but nothing that an active bass or decent amp EQ can't sort; whilst the BF SC peaks out at 4kHz, which is its key limitation for me, but that's not an issue for the BB2 (or F112).

I'm a fan of the 1x12 for compact cabs and I'd personally take one over a 210 (and no question over a 110) - it's the best balance between tight response and full low end for my ears.

I'm a little more into scooping now that I'm becoming more of a comic / slapstick performer and I've loved some of tones from some of the more recent Tech 21 pedals; but the VT Bass DI sill seems to come out top for many Tech 21 afficiandos, so I thought I'd give it a spin. If it doesn't work out Dave has kindly offered to take it off my hands for £50. I might just get him to throw a Fender amp head in whilst he's at it...

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If it doesn't work out Dave has kindly offered to take it off my hands for £50. I might just get him to throw a Fender amp head in whilst he's at it...

Oh, so you did like the Fender, even though you tried to kill it 😉

Dont forget you can also try out the BDDI in the Helix, although its based on the older version.

I didn't describe 12's as woolly (as you know I use a 112 and a 212 myself) but having had the opportunity to try out some 10's recently just thinking that the natural tightness of 10's might have offered you some extra snap with the 5er and you've got some great 12's already. If you get a chance give 10's a go you mgith find they really work with the low b. Something to explore in another 3 months or so ... or whenever the 'rules' change again :)

Edited by krispn
  • Haha 1

Ah gotcha (I think!). I was trying to articulate what the opposite of "B string snap" might be and I came up with "woolly". 

I had a VK210 MNT which is a really good cab, but I found it a little painfully toppy and replaced it with the more rounded VK 210 LNT. I did find the original MNT more musical than the 'flatter' BB2 (which I am coming back full circle to) when I A/Bd them at the Bass Gallery a couple of years back. 

The Fearless F112 and my previous 212s (Berg and Mesa PH 212) trumped the VK 210 LNT for clarity / articulation. 

So l've had a bit of experience with VK 210s in arriving at my preference for 12" and the VKs are excellent cabs. 

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh, so you did like the Fender, even though you tried to kill it 😉

Dont forget you can also try out the BDDI in the Helix, although its based on the older version.

Didn't say I liked it, but it would certainly pad out the price for the VT Bass DI... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah gotcha (I think!). I was trying to articulate what the opposite of "B string snap" might be and I came up with "woolly". 

I had a VK210 MNT which is a really good cab, but I found it a little painfully toppy and replaced it with the more rounded VK 210 LNT. I did find the original MNT more musical than the 'flatter' BB2 (which I am coming back full circle to) when I A/Bd them at the Bass Gallery a couple of years back. 

The Fearless F112 and my previous 212s (Berg and Mesa PH 212) trumped the VK 210 LNT for clarity / articulation. 

So l've had a bit of experience with VK 210s in arriving at my preference for 12" and the VKs are excellent cabs. 

I wasn't sure if you'd played 5's back then and to honest I've forgotten all the cabs you've been thru :)

32 minutes ago, krispn said:

I wasn't sure if you'd played 5's back then and to honest I've forgotten all the cabs you've been thru :)

Nah I didn't play 5s back then, but the general comparison points still stand. Maybe I'm misguided but I'd expect to a 12" to deliver an equally good if not better low B than a 10"; and you're really looking at a 210 if you're going head to head with a BF SC, BB2 or F112. In terms of quality, price and portability in the round, I'm not sure I'm going to find a 210 that will out do these three.

Just now, krispn said:

10’s can tighten things up nicely and not to say they’re better.

Thats the way i understand it, in the most basic way, and assuming we are talking decent drivers. 10's can do that, and in a 210 cab you have a larger cone area compared to a 1x12 so possibly a better chance of a low end. Maybe im wrong or over generalising though. I do know ive never been satisfied with a single driver cab, no mater who makes it.

I felt my BF Retro 210 had a thicker tone compared to my BB2. Not as open and bright though. In isolation (at work) both sounded great, but with the band each were quite different. The 210 was very thick sounding, without the clarity, and the BB2 had the clarity without the mid heft.

Yeah I was just thinking about AK being the gear guy in his band (as in transportation etc) and how say a fearless F110 (as he knows the brand might) have killed two birds with one stone - smaller, tight B, lighter etc. I'm sure his current stable of cabs will continue to deliver though.

Edited by krispn

14 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah I was just thinking about AK being the gear guy in his band (as in transportation etc) and how say a fearless F110 (as he knows the brand might) have killed two birds with one stone - smaller, tight B, lighter etc. I'm sure his current stable of cabs will continue to deliver though.

Never seen a F10, but the F112 is (relatively) bloody heavy. Even worse is its only got the one handle. i think even a F10 would be heavier than the BB2.

You've gotta take into account other factors such as power handling as well though e.g. can any 1x10 handle up to 600W RMS? 

And sorry, I'm totally sceptical that a quality 10" cab is going to sound better than a quality 12" in handling a low B in a full band mix. If you have actually come across one in your travels that's going to out do a SC, BB2 or F112 for sound quality, rather than speculating, then I'm all ears!

I'd need to hear them side by side to give a real comparison and I'm not saying a 110 would be 'better' just that it might offer up an alternative which could work well with a B string. As for RMS handling depends what driver is used but I'd hazard that a 10 might be expected to handle 450-500w.

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh you little sneak! (Ok pot and kettle...tbf so did I, arrived on Tuesday 😁). What did you get? Pics please! 

Currently somewhere on a wagon in central Europe, hopefully here next week when pics will be officially realeased.  But it's very lovely and I couldn't stop myself :(

5 days left and there's a nice Japanese Sadowsky Metro teasing me in the FS boards at the moment :(

I've decided to put the cab purchase off for 2020 and stick with the Markbass 2x10 and Ashdown 2x12 I have.

I do need to research and order some pickups however as I'm having my custom bass rerouted for soapbars rather than Jazz pickups.  That's my evening of self-isolation sorted :).

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

btw @ead, whilst I'm being cheeky, is your full name 'eadg' or 'bead'? 😁

The G string on a bass is entirely superfluous so prefer to be known as ead only

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What else have you said that about over the years then? 😁

Look forward to you revealing all (about the bass)!

Mostly beer and curry :)

• Like 1

Two more days to fill our boots before purgatory kicks in on the 25th. and I can't think of a single thing that is giving me GAS!

I'm looking through the FS and genuinely thinking "some nice stuff there, but not sure I would currently trade any of my basses or amps/cabs for what's listed." Which has gotta be a good test, right? 

Some folk are probably thinking he must have got a virus...