Why become a member? ×

GAC 2020 - the 3 nine diet!

Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ahh, antique white. Well that's a very good start! 😎 

And you're a West Midlander to boot. I may or may not have grown up around those very parts! 

Sorry may have inadvertently misled the team there.  The bass is in a warehouse in the West Midlands, I live up in the Northwest.  My personal provenance is confusing as I was born in Brussels and adopted at a very young age.  My Dad was a Scouser and my Mum a Geordie.  This probably explains a lot :o

11 minutes ago, ead said:

Sorry may have inadvertently misled the team there.  The bass is in a warehouse in the West Midlands, I live up in the Northwest.  My personal provenance is confusing as I was born in Brussels and adopted at a very young age.  My Dad was a Scouser and my Mum a Geordie.  This probably explains a lot :o

Yes, I think I'm beginning to piece together your antipathy to the G string... 😁

• Haha 1

So here's the thing. This thread is supposed to be encouraging us to be making the most of the existing gear we have. Somewhat limited, I know, by our collective inability to use them with our bands, but nevertheless be great to hear what "extra" we're getting out of our existing gear.

I'm happy to kick this off by saying that my pedals were a bit of a random and not much used collection this past 6 months. I've managed to organise them into two ready to use pedal boards with a multifx at the heart of each:

PB - 2003mini I.jpg

PB - 2003M24.jpg

Oh and by the way - newcomers are all very welcome to join this 'gear abstinence lite' challenge. The entry ticket is simply that you've have not bought any gear since the start date of March 25th (i.e. yesterday morning!)

Edited by Al Krow

Goodness, they make my eyes water!

My pedal board pales into insignifcance containing as it does a Radial Bigshot I/O to let me use two basses with differing output levels without the need to keep tweaking amp settings with a tuner into the Bigshot; then a Root Effects Herrenchor pedal (chorus) for use with a fretless bass; then a Digitech Drop tuning pedal for instant Eb or lower tunings; a Micro Thumpinator and finally a Radial StageBug SB-2 passive DI.

IMG_20200326_165509.thumb.jpg.19db87b1bb26fdad06dac3bdeb10ed5e.jpg

Oh, and the bass has landed

IMG_20200326_155852.thumb.jpg.3d8e4be2e8f6019abadefe20fe4df529.jpg

• Like 1

Oooh lovely bass!

Slightly worrying the amount of taste we have in common on the home furnishing front: wooden floors, white doors and antique white basses with tort PGs. You sure our other halves aren't related? 😁

Sire MM I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

27 minutes ago, ead said:

p.s. I also used Barefaced cabs.  I have a Super Compact and a Big Baby T.

So the Big Baby T was the predecessor of the BB2 in my pic above. And yes I have a SC too ( @PJ-Bassist's old one as it happens!) so we essentially have identical cabs. Hmmm....😁

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So the Big Baby T was the predecessor of the BB2 in my pic above. And yes I have a SC too ( @PJ-Bassist's old one as it happens!) so we essentially have identical cabs. Hmmm....😁

I found myself on the Barefaced website last weekend , seeing you flaunt my SC on here and the impending 25th deadline got my GAS going.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

• 2 weeks later...

Are pickups allowed? 

I'm my defence I am trying to make the most of my current gear by finishing a few projects so I can use them. I have a  P body that I want to put a musicman pickup into as I don't need another P but need to buy a pickup. 

Surely this is just a repair, isn't it. 🤔

🙂

26 minutes ago, Maude said:

Are pickups allowed? 

I'm my defence I am trying to make the most of my current gear by finishing a few projects so I can use them. I have a  P body that I want to put a musicman pickup into as I don't need another P but need to buy a pickup. 

Surely this is just a repair, isn't it. 🤔

🙂

Two valid get outs would work here:

- the pups are identical to ones you already have. 

OR

- they are different pups to ones you already have but won't feature in your signal chain. 

I'm guessing neither are true! But in your shoes I'd get the pups and just count it as a "worthy fail." On the plus side you will have lasted over a fortnight which is pretty commendable 😁

It does lack @bassfan's style in crashing and burning by getting a dream bass (when it eventually arrives). Now that's a far more spectacular way to call it quits than with the £50 pedal that he didn't particularly need, given the existing firepower on his pedal board, that took him down from the main GAC 2020 thread. 

The impressive thing is that you're both managing to make @FinnDavelook good! 

Pic of the bass with the new pups and a report of how it's all sounding would definitely be in order! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It does lack @bassfan's style in crashing and burning by getting a dream bass (when it eventually arrives). Now that's a far more spectacular way to call it quits than with the £50 pedal that he didn't particularly need, given the existing firepower on his pedal board, that took him down from the main GAC 2020 thread. 

Why thank you .. but I feel I need to explain how I should remain in. I would have bought the potential bass ahead of the allotted time frames and cannot be held responsible for a global pandemic and subsequent lockdown, m’lord.  So therefore I should be considered for leniency. Defence rests....

As for the pedal in my thread I’m not sure you are 100% factually accurate about my existing firepower being able to do what the drop pedal does so cleanly and efficiently ... but nonetheless I failed because of it, but I am not ashamed... 😂

• Like 1

Well I've ordered the pickup, but, and it's a big but, if this lock down had not happened I wouldn't have had this spare time to fill and I've used the time productively to complete lots of stalled bass projects. I suppose I could've spent the time to make the best of the gear I already have, which is the point of the abstinence, ah b0llocks you win. 😆

For the purposes of full disclosure I have purchased one of those Ashdown Tone Pocket (headphone amp) for practice purposes.  I believe this is acceptable under the regulations as described in clause 3.2.11b sub-section viii para 3.  I believe that the purchase is also covered by the Nuclear Non-proliferation Act.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

Well I've ordered the pickup, but, and it's a big but, if this lock down had not happened I wouldn't have had this spare time to fill and I've used the time productively to complete lots of stalled bass projects. I suppose I could've spent the time to make the best of the gear I already have, which is the point of the abstinence, ah b0llocks you win. 😆

Don't you also blood*y start on the bassman pandemic platitudes! 😂

Just need regular updates on your bass build to keep us entertained. Before and after etc. etc.

11 minutes ago, ead said:

For the purposes of full disclosure I have purchased one of those Ashdown Tone Pocket (headphone amp) for practice purposes.  I believe this is acceptable under the regulations as described in clause 3.2.11b sub-section viii para 3.  I believe that the purchase is also covered by the Nuclear Non-proliferation Act.

Apparently they cost less than a box of Magnum minis... and yes its covered by the relevant regulation cited!

I've been turning my creative energies regarding new stuff to bits of gear that don't affect my signal chain.

Like maybe getting this PG made up for my Sire P7. So what do you guys think - does it work / better than the existing deep red tort guard or just simply naff?

Current:

Sire MM II.jpg

Proposed  - oh and it will still be a 5 string PJ 5 er, just the limitations of the software editor, before you start accusing me of getting another new P bass! 😁

PG concept IA.png

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

I've been turning my creative energies regarding new stuff to bits of gear that don't effect my signal chain.

Like maybe getting this PG made up for my Sire P7. So what do you guys think - does it work / better than the existing deep red tort guard or just simply naff?

Current:

Proposed:

Sire MM II.jpg

PG concept IA.png

Hmm, I do like it but I really don't know where I stand on 'novelty' scratchplates. I use the term novelty loosely. I like them but not sure I'd live with it myself. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

😂

Just need regular updates on your bass build to keep us entertained. Before and after etc. etc.

I haven't actually started the MM style yet as I only had the idea yesterday after reading the MM pickup placement thread and having bought a Precision for a project a while though that this ciuld be that project. I also have a nice blocked and bound (black) maple Jazz neck, soooo was thinking black P body, maple J neck and black scratchplate. 

The three I'm in the middle of are a trio of shite wood wonders. An 80s? Hohner Arbor fretless P (ply body), an early 70s Kay (ply neck and body) and a 90s Danelectro Longhorn (kitchen worktops or something body). 

The build threads for the Kay and Dano are here,

and here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I've been turning my creative energies regarding new stuff to bits of gear that don't affect my signal chain.

Current:

Sire MM II.jpg

Proposed  - oh and it will still be a 5 string PJ 5 er, just the limitations of the software editor, before you start accusing me of getting another new P bass! 😁

PG concept IA.png

Just done a similar thing (but involving a can of spray paint) to one of my basses.  The SB14 came with a mildly unpleasant pearl white effort that mysteriously went matt back after being in close proximity to the aforementioned spray paint.

IMG_20200406_161330.thumb.jpg.57f9fa8ab1c5332716c439b64c0da0ea.jpg  SB14.thumb.jpg.728a7553d8e92f9eedc20bc4a4d57ea4.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

With @bassfan and @Maude gonners already, that does mean we have a £tenner in the kitty...

I guess we could get one of these devices that young master krispn spotted for us on a timeshare 😁

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-sessioncake-sc-01-mixing-headphone-amp-for-guitar-bass

If anyone else fancies it, you qualify to join if you've not bought any new gear (as per the "rules" - see the OPs) since the 24th March.