Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

“I saw the musical box the year before. They seemed good at what they were doing but more like a stage play than a group to me, so didn't enjoy it as much. Saw Hackett do a couple of the albums now, next one is seconds out so might skip that”

I’d never thought of it in those terms before but I get what you’re saying. It was the first, and only, time I’d seen them.

I enjoyed the Hackett gig but am not familiar with his solo stuff and I’m not too enamoured with Nad Sylvan’s vocals.

Edited by skb558

39 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

All the more reason to go, IMO.

Mind, I just can’t get away with his new drummer. He’s like the anti-Collins.

Not a fan of the album really, just never gelled apart from a couple of tracks. Most are the other way round.

Which drummer, Craig Blundell?

36 minutes ago, skb558 said:

I’d never thought of it in those terms before but I get what you’re saying. It was the first, and only, time I’d seen them.

Yes, I was happy to see them but wouldn't really bother again, I assume it would be identical if I did, whereas happy to go back to hackett.

36 minutes ago, skb558 said:

I enjoyed the Hackett gig but am not familiar with his solo stuff and I’m not too enamoured with Nad Sylvan’s vocals.

I am not that familiar with his solo stuff, although most of the gigs were the genesis album he was doing. I am also not a fan of Nad Sylvans vocals (although better heard than seen!), but I can ride over that when the music kicks in. I think I can tolerate that better than Phil Collins singing badly

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

... I think I can tolerate that better than Phil Collins singing badly

😁 Good point. All the more reason to play the longer pieces so Phil can doze off in his chair.

Edited by skb558

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit I have no feelings either way on him with Hackett, although I did like the guy with the suit before. I liked him with Steve Wilson, but that is obviously a different style of drumming.

Presumably he's a great drummer, but he just seems to feel it completely differently to Phil. I find it jarring...

Statement from the Steve Hackett Facebook page 

"In response to concerns that the Steve Hackett show in Manchester on September 24th conflicts with the Genesis show, all queries should be directed to the ticket outlet from where you purchased your Genesis ticket(s). 
We have no control on third party ticket sales or show announcements.  However, we have been advised that since there are two Genesis shows (24th & 25th), Steve Hackett fans will be able to attend both events. 
Steve is really looking forward to seeing you on Sep 24th at the Manchester 02 Apollo!"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Duke tour was last time i saw Genesis.

Saw them in Edinburgh then Glasgow where i met Phil Collins who bought our lunch. Happy days.

He was such a nice guy and very down to earth. I have a huge respect for him.

Dave

old photos_0002_NEW.jpg

Awesome! Always loved Phil. Great musician, great songwriter, great singer. Always seemed like a decent bloke too. Was one of my earliest musical heroes. 

• Like 1

Got to wait until Feb ‘22 for next Musical Box gig, The Lamb tour. Tried to get tickets for the Genesis Lamb tour to no avail, my uncle queued on his lunch hour but missed out.

Had to wait for this...

68814A14-0F88-4B7A-9FCC-0905E90AD924.jpeg

Edited by skb558

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I saw the musical box the year before. They seemed good at what they were doing but more like a stage play than a group to me, so didn't enjoy it as much. Saw Hackett do a couple of the albums now, next one is seconds out so might skip that

Seconds Out is my favourite Genesis album. Re MB being more like a stage play, IMO that’s what the original band (PG era) were like. 

Our singer has just told me that the Genesis gig we were going to and the Hackett gig we were going to have just been rescheduled.......on the same night.🙄 You’d think they could have discussed it! 😂 Not missing out on Genesis though so will have to look at seeing Hackett elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Seconds Out is my favourite Genesis album. Re MB being more like a stage play, IMO that’s what the original band (PG era) were like. 

Our singer has just told me that the Genesis gig we were going to and the Hackett gig we were going to have just been rescheduled.......on the same night.🙄 You’d think they could have discussed it! 😂 Not missing out on Genesis though so will have to look at seeing Hackett elsewhere. 

Is this Manchester? Id so, Genesis are doing two nights so you should be OK. If it even happens in the first place.

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Is this Manchester? Id so, Genesis are doing two nights so you should be OK. If it even happens in the first place.

It is indeed but he said the tickets are for the same night for both. I guess we’ll see what happens. Assuming, like you say, it happens at all. 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Seems very different to me. Genesis doing it originally is because that is how it occured to them to do it.

MB doing it is trying to replicate how it occured to someone else to do it, and make the best copy they can.

Steve Hackett is trying to make his music sound as good as he can make it because he enjoys doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2021 at 19:43, Woodinblack said:

Seems very different to me. Genesis doing it originally is because that is how it occured to them to do it.

MB doing it is trying to replicate how it occured to someone else to do it, and make the best copy they can.

Steve Hackett is trying to make his music sound as good as he can make it because he enjoys doing it.

I think we’ve been over this sort of thing before. 😉 I prefer MB - so far at least - because to me they sound far more like Genesis did at the time, which is extremely important to me. Obviously YMMV. Thankfully, we have a choice. 

TBH, I’ve also never quite forgiven Steve for the extended noodling solo at the end of Supper’s Ready when I last saw him. If I’d had a sniper’s rifle, it would have been used. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 4000 said:

TBH, I’ve also never quite forgiven Steve for the extended noodling solo at the end of Supper’s Ready when I last saw him. If I’d had a sniper’s rifle, it would have been used. 😂

Ouch !!! 😂

Poor Steve 😂😂😂

Edited by dmccombe7