Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

Rumours of a 3-man reunion being announced tomorrow morning. Dates in November / December.

Only rumours, but... rumours nonetheless.

I can't lie, I'm slightly tentative about what it might be like given Phil's physical condition, but I'd go anyway.

Edited by wateroftyne

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Rumours of a 3-man reunion being announced tomorrow morning. Dates in November / December.

Only rumours, but... rumours nonetheless.

I can't lie, I'm slightly tentative about what it might be like given Phil's physical condition, but I'd go anyway.

I had heard whispers of this. I think the idea is that he sits at the front, as he did with his solo tour, and has a drummer (maybe his son) at the back. Sadly, as much of a Genesis fan as I am, I don’t think they would be playing much of the Genesis catalogue that I would want to hear (again). 

41 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I had heard whispers of this. I think the idea is that he sits at the front, as he did with his solo tour, and has a drummer (maybe his son) at the back. Sadly, as much of a Genesis fan as I am, I don’t think they would be playing much of the Genesis catalogue that I would want to hear (again). 

Their last tour featured quite a lot of older Genesis material. They’re one of those bands where people seem to like them based on when they started listening to them. My uncle gave me a cassette of Duke when I was a child, that’s the period I like. I don’t really get their early stuff at all, my brother does though. Their three sides live is excellent. It’s funny but I like Peter Gabriel, but only his solo work.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Their last tour featured quite a lot of older Genesis material. They’re one of those bands where people seem to like them based on when they started listening to them. My uncle gave me a cassette of Duke when I was a child, that’s the period I like. I don’t really get their early stuff at all, my brother does though. Their three sides live is excellent. It’s funny but I like Peter Gabriel, but only his solo work.

I disagree. The balance was about the same and the old ones they did perform were truncated. 
It was nice to hear Ripples again though.

I’ll go, assuming I can get a ticket. I’d be happy to hear a nice mix. I wish they’d do Supper’s Ready though, I’ve never seen them play that live. For all the Phil naysayers who blame him for the band going pop, he was actually the one who got shouted down last time he suggested they play it on tour. 

44 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I disagree. The balance was about the same and the old ones they did perform were truncated. 
It was nice to hear Ripples again though.

I’ve never heard ripples. It’s relative I guess what’s old to me isn’t for you 😁.

13 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’ve never heard ripples. It’s relative I guess what’s old to me isn’t for you 😁.

Sorry, when you commented on the last tour, I assumed you were speaking having been to one of the dates. If you did, given they played the same set every night, you would have heard Ripples.

I accept it may be different for others, but my view is that although they changed as a band throughout they’re history, ...And Then There Were Three... was the last of the old school Genesis albums. I love Duke, but it was vastly different from the album preceding it. I really struggled with Abacab when it came out, but have grown to love that too. I can’t say the same for anything that came after it.

My main issue with Genesis as a live band is the disrespect to their back catalogue. I know it’s all bums on seats at the end of the day, but Rush managed a great balance of old and new throughout their touring history. I just wish Genesis had done the same. YMMV, but a twenty minute medley doesn’t cut it as far as I’m concerned.

As much as I really enjoy early and later Genesis and Phil Collins, I cannot see the proposed tour being enjoyable, Phil has lost his voice with age and other problems, it’s not good.

I would assume the ticket prices will be high, for a below par performance, certainly would not be worth it.

Here is a clip of Phil Collins tour from last year, the vocals (pardon the pun) speak for themselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steantval said:

As much as I really enjoy early and later Genesis and Phil Collins, I cannot see the proposed tour being enjoyable, Phil has lost his voice with age and other problems, it’s not good.

I would assume the ticket prices will be high, for a below par performance, certainly would not be worth it.

Here is a clip of Phil Collins tour from last year, the vocals (pardon the pun) speak for themselves.

What’s happened to him?

I never really liked his later solo stuff, even his cat has fallen asleep, right in front of the drum kit.

Just now, ambient said:

What’s happened to him?

I never really liked his later solo stuff, even his cat has fallen asleep, right in front of the drum kit.

An injury on the last Genesis tour, alcoholism, dodgy meds and a botched back operation.

He's pulled through, but as you can see he's not the tower of power he used to be. Personally, I don't mind. I'll be going anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

An injury on the last Genesis tour, alcoholism, dodgy meds and a botched back operation.

He's pulled through, but as you can see he's not the tower of power he used to be. Personally, I don't mind. I'll be going anyway.

I hadn’t heard about the alcoholism. 

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be from the description. I've heard an awful lot worse and IMHO, I'm not sure you can really tell how good or bad it was from a camera phone recording of one song.

There’s plenty of other examples on YouTube from that tour, I just happened to choose that one.

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be from the description. I've heard an awful lot worse and IMHO, I'm not sure you can really tell how good or bad it was from a camera phone recording of one song.

You must have thought it would be very bad, that was pretty awful. OK, his voice was passable, but the performance was sterile in every sense, from all concerned. And frankly, PC looked like he would rather be at home watching Eastenders 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

You must have thought it would be very bad, that was pretty awful. OK, his voice was passable, but the performance was sterile in every sense, from all concerned. And frankly, PC looked like he would rather be at home watching Eastenders 

I think passable is fair on the basis of that clip. Definitely not Hot Tub Club fit as per the first time I saw him solo, but then he is nearly 70.

Just now, Beedster said:

Age isn’t an excuse these days. There’s a whole generation of lively rock n roll septuagenarians. Neil Young is more animated FFS :)

Oh come on, give the guy a break. You're implying that everyone ages exactly the same way and Neil Young isn't a rock drummer as far as I'm aware. PC was prolific at his peak, playing with anyone and everyone and he hit hard when he was behind the kit. Given his associated health issues, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone contemplating getting back on stage again.

• Like 3