Why become a member? ×

Hanging basses on the wall

Bafflegab

51 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m sure I saw that on the horror channel last night 😁

This was a pic taken from Alcatraz prison ???

No idea what its all about.

This is more like my garage wall tho. I like hanging things.

Image result for Garage tools shadow walls images

Image result for hanging pics

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On drywall, there are various different fixings which you can use. I've actually found that the ones which are like little cast spirals with teeth on the end are remarkably secure and plenty to support a bass*. Just follow instructions.

Google 'drywall fixings' for inspiration. Any decent supplier's versions will have a weight rating. I have kitchen wall cabinets that have been hanging for ~15 years on the spring toggle type. They are suitable for suspending bassists, let along basses...

*Your mileage my vary, but remember typical bass hangers suffer a lot less leverage than the brackets in the video

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone interested!

The wall I intended to hang these on turned out to have a solid sheet of metal between the plasterboard and the brickwork.  So that was a no go.  The purpose of that metal I don’t know.

The only other available place was the wall that sits at 90° to that one, which has the airing cupboard on the other side.  No studs anywhere to be found in that wall.  So I just went with rawl plugs in the plasterboard.

Obviously not being a confident sort of chap, I got scared and had my neighbour come and do it for me, he’s good with that stuff 😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

wonder why the wall has a metal backing ? that's a bit odd. A hidden vault for all your extra cash maybe.

I had one of my original hangers straight onto plasterboard but was never that confident with it but if you use the right plugs it should be fine. 

Keep a check on it over next few weeks or months to make sure it stays secure on the wall.

Same query about the airing cupboard. It should have a wooden fame for the plasterboard to attach to so putting the planks along it should have been ok

Dave 

Just a thought , something we’ve all missed, unless i skimmed to quick, check the walls for pipes and cables before you drill into a pipe or or electric back box.

More likely a metal built wall stud systems, but don’t actually see them being used that often in the work I do, but probably a fair few around I guess

80966458-5944-4EF2-989B-3EBD4992132D.jpeg.59cd6e0f2f96856f52b9e9593dc2644f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I fitted metal stud for a few years  , it was first used for big office buildings because it was fast, clean and light, then some house builders started using it,  most of Canary Wharf and docklands is dry lining 

What is dry lining ? Is that same as plasterboard on a frame.

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

What is dry lining ? Is that same as plasterboard on a frame.

Dry lining is more the finish, the plasterboard is not plastered, the joins are covered with tape and finished with a jointing compound, it’s quicker and cleaner than plaster 

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Dry lining is more the finish, the plasterboard is not plastered, the joins are covered with tape and finished with a jointing compound, it’s quicker and cleaner than plaster 

Think that's what i had in my head with tape and finishing. That's how my house was done.

Dave

• Like 1

This is worrying me quite a lot, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse.  I took the hanger off and checked the plugs, and they're in tightly.

The hanger does move very slightly when I lift the bass on and off though.

I might take the screws out and stick some super glue in there to make sure it's solid

20200308_210821.jpg

1 minute ago, Bafflegab said:

This is worrying me quite a lot, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse.  I took the hanger off and checked the plugs, and they're in tightly.

The hanger does move very slightly when I lift the bass on and off though.

I might take the screws out and stick some super glue in there to make sure it's solid

20200308_210821.jpg

Superglue won’t stick in the plasterboard hole it’s too dusty , you need some toggles to do it properly  and safe for your basses 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Superglue won’t stick in the plasterboard hole it’s too dusty , you need some toggles to do it properly  and safe for your basses 

I mean to stick the screw into the rawl plug.  The plug is solidly in the plasterboard 

1 minute ago, Bafflegab said:

I mean to stick the screw into the rawl plug.  The plug is solidly in the plasterboard 

The screw won’t come out of the plug once it’s screwed in , what you have to watch is the plug working loose in the plasterboard in time 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bafflegab said:

One of mine looks like that, but then it has always looked like that and I put it in 10 years or so ago. Never moved in that time. Has it moved to go there?

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

This plaster board is so crap that I feel they might just pop through 🤣

• Like 1