Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass

neepheid

I saw this on the evilBay and I just had to have it!

I'm too tight/skint to own a Gibson, but frankly after playing this one I don't see why I should! This beast is the loudest passive bass I have ever played and isn't it pretty with its carved top and binding? No neck dive either, which I found amazing considering the small body and massive long/wide neck (2mm wider than a P at the nut!). It's got some battle scars but I managed to polish some of it out and I think it look sweet. Definitely going to take it to band practice tonight so we'll see if it's as serious as it looks.

I might change the knobs - I'm not sure how well amber works with the rest of it, but apart from that, it's sweet.

[quote name='simon1964' post='399774' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:42 AM']I've never played a Gibson style bass, but I can't deny they look cool! I trust you wear it on a ridiculously long strap, playing with a pick ;)[/quote]

Pfft, I most certainly do not - that kind of nonsense is for young pups whose joints don't click yet. Besides, I can barely play bass with it in a comfortable position as it is!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='399820' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:44 AM']It's crying out for a Gotham City theme a la [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40119"]this thread[/url][/quote]

No, no, no, crown inlays will be just fine ;)

Well, I took the black beast to band practice last night and zomg-can-i-has-sustain? This thing just rings on and on. There's a song we do that needs a couple of long sustained notes while the guitarist does something and I don't think I heard it start to decay in between notes (4 bars!)

I do believe that the body is chambered, I was having a poke about inside and the pickup wires did not come out of a little hole, but a massive hole I could poke a screwdriver in and wiggle it around in. Mind you, it's so thick back to front that I suppose it ought to be chambered, otherwise it'd need a stand!

It's wonderful to play, very comfortable, the wide neck suits me and I was able to whizz around with some ease. If I had bought this bass when I started then I might not have been so GAS afflicted in my formative bass years. Unfortunately, it also means that it does render some of my other basses somewhat redundant, so there might be a fire sale soon.

BB - I hear what you're saying, and my enmity towards the 3-point bridge is well documented. However, I don't think I've got any choice in this - I suspect that the carved top means that the only viable replacement (Hipshot Supertone) won't work as it relies on a flat surface to work. Furthermore, a 2 piece bridge and a pickup selector switch does not warrant spending 4-5 times as much on a Gibson. I take comfort in the fact that this looks soooooo much better than Epiphone's current Les Paul bass offering (the "Special" - [url="http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=265&CollectionID=12"]http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Produc...CollectionID=12[/url] - so flat, plain and boring imho)

Mmm, lovely Neepheid.

Hmm, shame it's got chrome hardware, otherwise I'd offer you my now going spare black supertone bridge for it, although it might not fit very well anyway due to the carved top *flashbacks of the routed bridge in the Fender Aerodyne*

Although I second the motion it should be worn low, it's got to be at least level with your balls for when you're giving the song a bit o' b*llocks ;)

• 1 year later...

I've mentioned it plenty times on the forum but I realised that I never updated this thread with how things eventually turned out. I ended up being rather uninspired by the sound the bass had in stock configuration so I replaced the pickups with EMG-HBs. Initially I had it wired up in a simple VVTT setup and oh-so blingy abalone topped knobs.

That was better but I still thought more could be achieved. I scored an EMG-BQC 3 band + mid sweep EQ on eBay and proceeded to squeeze all that plus a 9V battery into the cavity. I also had to change the knobs because 2 of the pots are concentric. I used much more tasteful John East knobs. Then I wrestled with the 3 point bridge to the point of frustration. Couldn't get the action as I liked until I swapped out the G saddle for a slightly higher one. Unfortunately this one is gold, but I've come to affectionately refer to it as the bass' gold tooth.

Something still nagged at me then I realised what it was - no 3 way selector switch. I never used to change the settings because it was too much of a faff to turn down one volume and raise the other or whatever. So despite the challenge posed by the carved top and scaring the crap out of myself with a rebate cutter in the router I managed to fit the classic switch in the classic Les Paul location. I don't have any final pics of the bass at this time, but here's a pic of the switch being test fitted:

I'll get a final pic up soon. I can't see myself ever getting rid of this bass, mostly because of the amount of work that has gone into it, I feel too personally invested in it.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='959503' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:36 PM']That looks awesome, bet it sounds the dogs bollocks as well! The only thing I'd do to it would be change that nasty 3 point bridge for a slightly more tasteful hipshot number, but of course that's just me.[/quote]

I know someone selling a black one :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='959503' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:36 PM']That looks awesome, bet it sounds the dogs bollocks as well! The only thing I'd do to it would be change that nasty 3 point bridge for a slightly more tasteful hipshot number, but of course that's just me.[/quote]

The carved top plays havoc with that idea - the area would have to be built up or carved into, neither of which are trivial jobs. I've got it going the way I like it now (with the gold tooth) so I think I'll just leave it. If I was going to do anything, I would rather install a separate bridge/tailpiece like some Gibson Les Pauls have (rather Warwick like). But it would involve filling, redrilling and probably refinishing. Far too much effort for such an inexpensive bass.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='neepheid' post='959570' date='Sep 17 2010, 03:41 PM']The carved top plays havoc with that idea - the area would have to be built up or carved into, neither of which are trivial jobs. I've got it going the way I like it now (with the gold tooth) so I think I'll just leave it. If I was going to do anything, I would rather install a separate bridge/tailpiece like some Gibson Les Pauls have (rather Warwick like). But it would involve filling, redrilling and probably refinishing. Far too much effort for such an inexpensive bass.[/quote]

Hi buddy, bass looks ace. Just bought an Antoria LP and looking to replace the PUPs. Did your EMGs just fit the standard humbucker pup surrounds? The EMGs look great. Sound good?
Andy

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='981478' date='Oct 8 2010, 11:28 AM']Hi buddy, bass looks ace. Just bought an Antoria LP and looking to replace the PUPs. Did your EMGs just fit the standard humbucker pup surrounds? The EMGs look great. Sound good?
Andy[/quote]

Sorry, I just saw this because I was trying to remember when I bought the bass. Yes, the EMG-HBs fit straight into the surrounds on my Epi Les Paul with no modification. As far as the sound goes, it's a very clean, modern sound as you would expect from EMGs. Quite unexpected considering what they're mounted in. I've recently been experimenting with taming the modern sound with a set of TI Jazz flatwound strings, but I might go back to rounds - it's just one paradox too many!

I seem to recall having teased everyone with talk of switches but only provided a spurious, blurry phone camera photo as proof. You would be well within your rights to disbelieve that.

Well, it isn't the Loch Ness Monster, but it is a monster: