Why become a member? ×

I am officially now a payed session bassist.

Gamble

Nice job on the work.

Does getting paid, however much, really make you a pro?

Perhaps my definition of the word is different to other peoples - or are you being tongue in cheek?

I do a fair bit of paid work (session/live/theatre) but I wouldn't bracket myself as a pro - yet!

Look forward to your thoughts!

Mike

£20.00 Sounds great!
A Jazz session would have earned you a fiver...! ;)
A Rock session, would have got you a bottle of JD.
Country & Western session would have earned you a hat.
A function band..you pay them.
And a Pop session, erm.....
well lots of promises.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Knowing that you played in a well established covers band for quite a while that sounds very tongue-in-cheek ;)

It's always nice to get at least your costs paid at a gig. Was this just a 'dep' gig to help someone out, or is this something which will become regular? I think you're in far too many bands already, Gamble!

It's yet another gig that you turned down and I got on the rebound Pete, surely you know how it works by now?!

Yep, I'm being tongue in cheek, but it was my first time getting payed to record for someone else. I was asked to write a bit and record for them as they're a bit of a "loose collective" and one of the main members who usually plays bass live wasn't feeling all that inspired. I played shockingly for a lot of the session but they're really into digital editing so as long as there was a few good licks they were happy to cut, copy and paste the tracks together, which also gives them a bit more control over how the finished article comes out.

As far as the title of "Pro" goes, I don't think it applies until your main income is from that line of work, so I've got a little way to go yet!!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Gamble' post='399616' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:39 AM']Played a session for a local folk band on Sunday, wasn't expection it but earned £20 for my troubles. I guess that officially makes me a pro!
Well chuffed!![/quote]

Nice one matey ! the first of many hopefully ;)

my cheque just cleared for my first session job! (i got a cool £1000 ;) )

It was recording bass on the secret handshake's new album (due out in april)

link to current material here:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/thesecrethandshake"]http://www.myspace.com/thesecrethandshake[/url]

i hate that Skee Lo cover so Please listen to "summer of 98" and "everyone knows everyone".........im not on these tracks but they give you a good idea of what his next album will be like!

Playing bass for cash is the best thing ever!!

The hardest thing now is trying to keep my money in the bank instead of giving to one of you good people in return for yet another lovely bass! haha

:P

[quote name='largo' post='399838' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:59 AM']Mmmm, is being a dep the same as playing a session?[/quote]

I'd have said that being a dep meant playing gigs when someone else couldn't make it, I only spent a day in the studio (or a session, if you will) recording tracks for them.
I was kinda joking anyways, I'm not going to be making any real money out of playing anytime soon. Just thought I'd share my chuffed-ness!

Just wondering, are there any full-time session players on the forum? If so I just have few Q's:

-Is it well payed?

-How hard is it to find work?

-Roughly what do you earn a year?

-What qualifications do you have?

-Do you play upright too?

-And what is your main bass?

Just a few things i'd like to know as i'm 16 and [b]considering[/b] a career in music, possibly session playing.

[quote name='Gamble' post='399995' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:15 PM']Nice one Chrisdabass, got much more work coming up?[/quote]

Hey

that job really came about by chance as i wasn't looking for work at the time! i guess i was just lucky! im not really looking for more session work at the moment though as Im really busy with my band and my other side projects but if any more well paid work comes along i'll be happy to do it.

;)

[quote name='Gamble' post='399616' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:39 AM']Played a session for a local folk band on Sunday, wasn't expection it but earned £20 for my troubles. I guess that officially makes me a pro!
Well chuffed!![/quote]

Nice one dude!!!! And for anyone who doesn't know the area... getting proper session work around Norfolk is a bit like finding a unicorn....... that plays piano.... and talks .... and likes Metallica.... So good on ya chap!

"You Hammett, I'll play it......."

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='400365' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:03 PM']Just wondering, are there any full-time session players on the forum? If so I just have few Q's:[/quote]
I believe Jakesbass makes a living from playing, although I think he's in function bands and allsorts too.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='400365' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:03 PM']Just a few things i'd like to know as i'm 16 and [b]considering[/b] a career in music, possibly session playing.[/quote]
I wish I'd committed sooner, good luck if you go for it!

[quote name='dood' post='400710' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:51 AM']Nice one dude!!!! And for anyone who doesn't know the area... getting proper session work around Norfolk is a bit like finding a unicorn....... that plays piano.... and talks .... and likes Metallica.... So good on ya chap![/quote]
Interestingly enough, I nearly decided not to ride my Metallica loving, piano playing, talking Unicorn to the studio that day because of the snow. Glad I did now!!

Cheers Dood!

[quote]Just wondering, are there any full-time session players on the forum? If so I just have few Q's:

-Is it well payed?

-How hard is it to find work?

-Roughly what do you earn a year?

-What qualifications do you have?

-Do you play upright too?

-And what is your main bass?

Just a few things i'd like to know as i'm 16 and considering a career in music, possibly session playing.[/quote]

I'm not a full-time session player, but I do a fair bit of paid work and I'd say the bulk of my income comes from playing.

1. Relative to other jobs, it is quite well paid. I'm currently working with a singer and get paid for rehearsals and gigs, but the issue is that the work isn't regular enough to give up my day job. Trying to get the money from management companies can also be quite a long and painful process...

2. In London it's not hard to get gigs, but if you're working with original artists who are in the process of 'making it' then IME the chances of getting paid anything more than expenses is minimal. The paid stuff that I've got has either come through auditions or being recommended by other musicians.

3. Not enough to give up my teaching job....

4. I have a BA in music, but that in itself has never got me a gig. Comes in handy when going for peripatetic teaching jobs though.

5. I play upright, but not well enough to go out and gig with it yet.

6. My main bass is a USA deluxe jazz, I also have a 5-string Bacchus as a backup or if I need the low notes.

Above all, it's really about [b]who[/b] you know rather than [b]what[/b] you know. Go to local jam nights, meet other musicians, try and find out if there are any agencies near you that can help you find work (there are various websites such as starnow.com and ukmusicjobs that are useful as well).

One more thing.... learn to read!

Tom

[quote name='Gamble' post='399616' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:39 AM']Played a session for a local folk band on Sunday[/quote]

[quote name='Gamble' post='399765' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:27 AM']....they're really into digital editing so as long as there was a few good licks they were happy to cut, copy and paste the tracks together, which also gives them a bit more control over how the finished article comes out.[/quote]

Good lord!! What's the world coming to!? Not a pair of sentences I would have expected to see together, but I suppose time & method moves on for everything. You'll be doing D'n'B/Folk mashups next ;)

This was just £20 cash in hand to cover petrol etc, I even tried to give it back as I was only doing it for laughs.
I did think about declaring to the tax man back when i was playing covers as I used to earn a fair bit through that. It even looked like I might have even come out better off for claiming mileage, but I never got round to it. I'd certainly think about it now if I was going to be earning much money from playing.

[quote name='WalMan' post='401148' date='Feb 5 2009, 03:51 PM']Good lord!! What's the world coming to!? Not a pair of sentences I would have expected to see together, but I suppose time & method moves on for everything. You'll be doing D'n'B/Folk mashups next ;)[/quote]

I was really suprised that a couple of folkies would be into recording that way, but it meant that I could play loads of mistakes and try stuff out on the fly and it wouldn't matter! On a couple of tracks I'd play a really simple bassline just following the rootnotes, then they'd say go to town and I'd just try stuff out. If it didn't work they just wont use it, if there was a nice lick they'll just put it where they want it. Seemed a bit G.M. to me.....
The only slight problem I have is that I'm not going to have a say in the editing, so they might keep some stuff that really makes me cringe, but I'll just have to wait and see. The producer they work with seemed to have a really good handle on things, so I'm sure he'll do me proud!

Edited by Gamble