Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who wants a £10 screw?

evilLordJuju

He's only listed that item to encourage people to email him about the other 73 Jazz parts which he's selling at very high prices (and on which he clearly doesn't want to pay ebay fees). Some of his other listings are factually inacurate so I wouldn't want to buy from him at the prices he quotes.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='395965' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:39 AM']He's only listed that item to encourage people to email him about the other 73 Jazz parts which he's selling at very high prices (and on which he clearly doesn't want to pay ebay fees). Some of his other listings are factually inacurate so I wouldn't want to buy from him at the prices he quotes.
Chris[/quote]

By the last sentence I meant that even if I were really desperate for the part he was seling I wouldn't be entirely confident in his expertise re. vintage basses.

[quote name='Musky' post='395951' date='Jan 31 2009, 08:56 AM'];)

I posted about this guy in the overpriced listings thread, but it seems that his first attempt has been cancelled.

I might just list a screw from my '74 P bass at a bit below his asking price, just to wind him up. :P[/quote]

Brilliant idea and very tempting , but I think we'd be better off just ignoring this kind of thing. Here in the real world we can come on these forums and talk about playing and gear and crack nob gags. Guys like this belong in another world that has little to do with any of that.

You can see his point though.

Say you had a 1973 Jazz Bass which was all original except for one pickguard screw that you lost back in the day. Technically, this instrument isn't all original, and if you had one more period correct screw then you'd surely be able to advertise it as such. Of course, we can argue the merits of having the bass with exactly the same parts as when it left the Fender factory, but in essence it would be an all-original 1973 Fender Jazz Bass, and therefore could be advertised as one.

It's a bargain IMO, if it'll increase the selling price of the bass by £5-600 then a tenner is nowt to pay ;)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='395981' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:04 AM']Brilliant idea and very tempting , but I think we'd be better off just ignoring this kind of thing. Here in the real world we can come on these forums and talk about playing and gear and crack nob gags. Guys like this belong in another world that has little to do with any of that.[/quote]

Yeah, just joking there - I wouldn't have the brass neck to advertise a screw for that kind of money. :P

[quote]You can see his point though.

Say you had a 1973 Jazz Bass which was all original except for one pickguard screw that you lost back in the day. Technically, this instrument isn't all original, and if you had one more period correct screw then you'd surely be able to advertise it as such. Of course, we can argue the merits of having the bass with exactly the same parts as when it left the Fender factory, but in essence it would be an all-original 1973 Fender Jazz Bass, and therefore could be advertised as one.

It's a bargain IMO, if it'll increase the selling price of the bass by £5-600 then a tenner is nowt to pay.[/quote]

Thing is, like Kev pointed out in the overpriced listing thread, how could you ever prove it was genuine? I'm sure umpteen million of these things were turned out and it wouldn't surprise me if Fender used different suppliers for screws. So even if there was a way of identifying an early seventies screw there would be no way of knowing if it had ever been near the Fender factory.

I'm sure there's something in what Chris says though. I originally clicked on the listing because it said Fender parts, not a solitary screw. ;)

[quote name='Musky' post='395997' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:31 AM']Thing is, like Kev pointed out in the overpriced listing thread, how could you ever prove it was genuine? I'm sure umpteen million of these things were turned out and it wouldn't surprise me if Fender used different suppliers for screws. So even if there was a way of identifying an early seventies screw there would be no way of knowing if it had ever been near the Fender factory.[/quote]

That's true, but presuming it was a genuinely identifiable Fender 1973 screw, it'd be a steal! I've seen original neckplates and the like go for £300+, which to me is a justifiable sum for the value they'd impart to a period instrument (although their provenance is a lot easier come by)

Danny

[quote name='Musky' post='395997' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:31 AM']Yeah, just joking there - I wouldn't have the brass neck[/quote]

Is that the pre CBS brass neck?? I'll sell you one. James Jamerson gave it me and Jaco wrote 'this was mine - honest' on it in felt pen.

5 grand to you , pal , and I'm cutting me arm off ;)

One serious point - when I went to stay with my mate in NZ , he has a 1950's tele which he paid the world for. The switch button wasn't an original though so rather than buy his wife a bunch of flowers for having me etc I got him the real deal off ebay. It was only 15 USD but it sort of illustrates one of the points made here as it's made his pride and joy all original - at least in a period sense.

Me. Well , I sold the chrome knobs off my 73 on ebay for nigh on seventy quid. They were jacobsed , that's why I sold them. I got nice new ones from Q parts for a fiver. I was happy - doubtless the buyer was happy - but I'd rather be my kind of happy !!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

This is the best by far. Can anyone beat it?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120367273169&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180275895145&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...52BSI%26otn%3D4[/url]

What a stupidly long link too...

[quote name='ednaplate' post='396510' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:52 PM']This is the best by far. Can anyone beat it?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120367273169&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180275895145&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...52BSI%26otn%3D4[/url]

What a stupidly long link too...[/quote]

You could probably buy an entire '62 strat for that money. That's insane.