Why become a member? ×

Bass for around £500?

likelylaz

Hey , im looking to get a new bass soon.

my band is starting to become pretty serious as is my bass playing so i really need to upgrade frm my cheap stingray copy which i bought for £100 to learn. it has possibly the worst pickups ever ! , haha .

so its my 18th next month and i am looking to spend about £500 on something. i just dont know what.

in an ideal world i would love a rickenbacker but they are too expensive. I have been looking at various fender's and warwicks but i just dont know enough about bass's if i am honest to make a decision.

any advice would be much appreciated !

heres my bands myspace to give you a feel for what type of music we play if that helps ! ........ myspace.com/smilerifle

What amp and cab do you have?

If you've got a budget of £500 it might not be wise to spent it all on a bass, as we've all noted on here recently that quite awsome basses can be had for around £150, such as the Vintage V4, and the golden rule:

[b][i]A bad amp and cab will make a top quality bass sound rubbish, while a good amp and cab will let even a bad bass shine.[/i][/b]

I ask because from what I can hear on your myspace songs, I quite like that bass tone and there's nothing wrong with it.

And asking for advice when you're asking for such a broad spectrum of basses, the only thing that we can truthfully say is:
[size=5]Go to shops and try as many as possible[/size].

Sounds a bit harsh, but there's a lot of difference between bass product lines, let alone brands. Are you a jazz neck person or a p-bass neck person?
Thick or thin? Wide or narrow? Do you like the very trebley tangy sounds that Rick's give, or do you want a stonking rock sound that T-Birds give. Perhaps you need a bit of burp in your life and only really want somthing with a single coil in the rear, or do you want something that offers a bit more versatility while being excellent at cutting such as a Musicman style pup in a rear. Do you play up near the body more, ergo requiring something with good upper fret access and maybe a neck through, or is that not an issue? etc..

Far too many questions and you yourself will benefit from playing more instruments and knowing at least a reference point if you try out some Fender Jazzes or P-Basses.

Edited by Buzz

One thing I discovered and have mentioned before is that as long as it can be adjusted, any bass can be used professionally.

The only advice I can give is to try different basses. I found that ones I really wanted were the ones that ended up being the ones that played horribly and ended up going for something completely different.

I normally think of the most complicated bassline I know I can play and try to play it on a new bass. If I can play it straight away then I know I'm on to a winner. After that its all about the balance, comfort factor and price

[quote name='likelylaz' post='393328' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:47 AM']haha , i suppose its just what feels and sounds right for me ;)[/quote]

+1. And I would definitely buy used if you can at the moment. Within your budget you could pick up any number of very nice basses on here - I've just sold a mint Warwick Corvette $$ on here for just over £400. You would pay well over £700 new.

how bout my MTD, bit stingray ish but with a jazz pickup as well. An easy 5 to play and very tonally versatile, you could do near style with it. price wise it is in your budget and you'd have cash to spare

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39973"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39973[/url]

go on my Sei is begging for new pick ups ;)

• 1 month later...

Had a listen... I hear the need for an MM-type bass. :)

That gives you a few options:
1) Secondhand MusicMan SUB - the real thing, although the finishes take some getting used to
2) Ibanez ATK - nails the MM tone nicely. £300-ish will score you a new one.
3) If you want that more modern take on the Flea-type tone, you might be able to find a Peavey G-Bass within your budget (single pickup, graphite neck) - kinda hard to find though.
4) MTD Kingston. Great bass, huge thick tone.

If you're very lucky, you might actually be able to score a proper Stingray for £500, what with the economy being the way it is.

[quote name='Russ' post='424600' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:19 PM']Had a listen... I hear the need for an MM-type bass. :)

That gives you a few options:
1) Secondhand MusicMan SUB - the real thing, although the finishes take some getting used to
2) Ibanez ATK - nails the MM tone nicely. £300-ish will score you a new one.
3) If you want that more modern take on the Flea-type tone, you might be able to find a Peavey G-Bass within your budget (single pickup, graphite neck) - kinda hard to find though.
4) MTD Kingston. Great bass, huge thick tone.

[b]If you're very lucky, you might actually be able to score a proper Stingray for £500, what with the economy being the way it is.[/b][/quote]

Ill take one at that price :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chelios' post='424604' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:24 PM']Ill take one at that price :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've seen used Stingrays change hands for around that kind of price recently... keep an eye out. :)

Or, hold out until the end of this month, when Musicman's Sterling series will become available... I think they're supposed to start around the £600 mark, and they're supposed to be almost as good as the US-made ones (pretty much Musicman's Skyline series). They'll be doing versions of the 4, the 5 and the Sterling.