Why become a member? ×

String kerching

niceguyhomer

Went into a certain large music store in Salford yesterday for some desperation strings. They had one set of 45-130s and unfortunately they were EB Slinkys so I begrudgingly asked how much - the sales person scanned 'em and said £24.95. I burst out laughing at the price and suggested a good place where he could put them and not even the stocktaker would find them.

He shuffled away and came back as I was heading for the door and said "19 quid mate". I bought them cos I needed 'em but I came away thinking ....bloody hell, what's that all about ? Some people would be daft enough to pay £24.95 and that's a rip off. ;)

Just thought I'd share that witcha. :P

Unfortunately string prices are starting to spiral upward (no pun intended). I just did a quick search on ebay and the price you were originally quoted for a 5string set of EB's is about the going rate, even Stringbusters are charging £21 +P&P. All in all the price may not suit but hardly extortionate prices. ;)

There are a few factors at work here. The exchange rate is making US strings more expensive but once upon a time music shops sold loads of strings cos it was the only place you got them. Now they only sell strings in desperation and dont get the bulk discounts they used to get. So its a vicious circle of selling fewer strings for more money.

At least Roto's and the Status strings I use (assuming UK made) should not be affected.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='391019' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:40 PM']There are a few factors at work here. The exchange rate is making US strings more expensive but once upon a time music shops sold loads of strings cos it was the only place you got them. Now they only sell strings in desperation and dont get the bulk discounts they used to get. So its a vicious circle of selling fewer strings for more money.

At least Roto's and the Status strings I use (assuming UK made) should not be affected.[/quote]

Only if the steel they use is GB produced and Corus (who are Anglo-Dutch) have just announced loads of job losses...

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='390986' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:57 PM']Have to go back to 4 strings John - I have my grandchild to think about ;)[/quote]

Homer
I've got a lot of virtually unplayed B strings from my brief 5-string period. Give me a shout and they're all yours (mix of EBs, Rotosounds and a few others of various widths if I remember correctly)
C

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='392151' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:19 PM']F5 is your friend[/quote]

that did it!!

grateful..and alive

i did the personal thing and it wouldnt change
the ctrl5 no luck
but F5 did the trick...
i take it you upload a new avatar then do F5 to .....initialise it?

cheers

[quote name='mrcrow' post='393026' date='Jan 27 2009, 06:25 PM']support the fatherland

buy TI[/quote]

Or go here and get strings for £10 a set (if you buy three sets of Rotosound together), I'm an Elites user, Players series, and I swear by this website for all my string needs:

[url="http://www.stringbusters.com"]http://www.stringbusters.com[/url]

Hope that helps

Mike