Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

I’ve just found out that my church elders have decided that we don’t need a bass player every week, it makes no sense to me…..I’m dealing with non-musicians making musical decisions 🤦🏻‍♂️

Absolutely crackers. It's like the London Symphony Orchestra deciding that they don't need violins.

On the counter point:

I've been in situations where the effort going into running a large worship group wasn't worth the effort - and stripping it back would have given people more energy and let people focus on some of the other areas of church life...  sometimes a big loud engaged band can be musically great - but one acoustic guitar could help lead the congregation in worship better and encourage greater participation from the church body...
Good leadership sometimes changes things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

@LukeFRC  The most amount of musicians we would ever have on stage at one time is 4; guitar, bass, keys and drums.  We normally only have 3.

I do not know why this decision was made and to be honest, I'm scared to ask.

I think I responded to some of your posts last year with my opinion that "you're doing too much".  I imagine not having bass every week could be a pastoral way to help you? 

@LukeFRC  I actually play more 6 string than bass nowadays, the "no need for a bass player" rule is just foolishness, dreamt up by non-musicians when they don't think to ask the musicians, what it is that they actually need or want.

I just posted a request for a drummer in the `Musicians Wanted' section of this mighty site.  If I can get a rock/metal covers band together, that'll keep me busy and then I can jack in the church band.  I don't need stress in my life, I just want to play and have a laugh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

I just posted a request for a drummer in the `Musicians Wanted' section of this mighty site.

I did that, and luckily the ridiculously talented and absolutely thoroughly bloody nice bloke @Jakester answered :) 

• Like 2

What with Christmas and our worship leader being on holiday in January, tomorrow is my first day playing at communion for a while. The BL suggested upright would be good for this service too. I've not played it publicly since the bridge was modified to adjustable and I fitted a lifeline pickup. So an exciting day on Sunday!

• Like 5

On 03/02/2024 at 09:22, bass_dinger said:

I have been asked to play guitar in church.  Or rather, I asked if I could play as the second acoustic guitar one morning, just to see whether I could still do it.

I have not played acoustic guitar in church for over 20 years. At the time, I was a big fan of dual capo settings (me capo 2 in G, the other guitarist in A. Or indeed, me on Capo 5 or 7, to give the harmonic spread).

Any hints or tips?  Any YouTube lessons?

Different capo settings a great idea.  Or, if one guitar strums, the other could pick - just simple arpeggios - then you don't have to worry about capo settings.  Also if the strum pattern is a bit variable, its easier to keep the tempo correct. 

If you regularly decide to play second guitar consider a cheap parlour guitar tuned Nashville style.  That alongside standard tuning can sound pretty awesome.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 17:16, Rosie C said:

What with Christmas and our worship leader being on holiday in January, tomorrow is my first day playing at communion for a while. The BL suggested upright would be good for this service too. I've not played it publicly since the bridge was modified to adjustable and I fitted a lifeline pickup. So an exciting day on Sunday!

It went well, the band was piano, cornet and double bass. I took my little 25W Orange practice amp - just to give a little boost to the sound. 

We played:

• Alleluia Sing to Jesus
  • There is a Redeemer
  • All Heaven Declares
  • Light of the World
  • Guide Me Oh Great Redeemer  (we were assured this was scheduled well before the rugby)

426764570_122123019620164629_8967638616235302757_n.thumb.jpg.c6ec15389ed98f1a3a3550556e250d8f.jpg

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Rosie C said:

It went well, the band was piano, cornet and double bass. I took my little 25W Orange practice amp - just to give a little boost to the sound. 

We played:

• Alleluia Sing to Jesus
  • There is a Redeemer
  • All Heaven Declares
  • Light of the World
  • Guide Me Oh Great Redeemer  (we we assured this was scheduled well before the rugby)

426764570_122123019620164629_8967638616235302757_n.thumb.jpg.c6ec15389ed98f1a3a3550556e250d8f.jpg

The bass looks huge, until I compare to those organ pipes! They seem to have put the big ones at the front.

I was surprised to learn the 25w amp is enough to boost the sound- but I guess that it is mostly the acoustic sound that is filling the space. 

16 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I was surprised to learn the 25w amp is enough to boost the sound- but I guess that it is mostly the acoustic sound that is filling the space. 

The acoustics are quite good - a little goes a long way. Admittedly I'd have rather had a bit more oomph for the final hymn, and it lacks on the bottom end, but it was 'good enough'.  

2 hours ago, Rosie C said:

Guide Me Oh Great Redeemer  (we we assured this was scheduled well before the rugby)

@Owen - I recall David saying that particular hymn was often deliberately scheduled along with the Rugby in Bangor.  Is that correct,  or was he winding me up/ mis-remembering ?

Edited by Richard R
Typo...

On 03/02/2024 at 09:22, bass_dinger said:

I have been asked to play guitar in church.  Or rather, I asked if I could play as the second acoustic guitar one morning, just to see whether I could still do it.

I have not played acoustic guitar in church for over 20 years. At the time, I was a big fan of dual capo settings (me capo 2 in G, the other guitarist in A. Or indeed, me on Capo 5 or 7, to give the harmonic spread).

Any hints or tips?  Any YouTube lessons?

I tried! I failed! But I failed well, and will try again. 

I managed to strum the songs at home, and plugged into an amp via a tuner and chorus pedal, to get used to the sound and work out how to set up the kit.

On the day during the practice, we couldn't find a channel to plug into, and I couldn't hear myself in the foldback.  Sound levels were painfully loud as the band played on, and it was easier to step down from that morning's service. 

However..... I learnt that I could still play guitar; that it was fun; that it was hard work and very physical - and my fingertips hurt!

I will play again with the guitarist and his tame pianist and am comfortable that I will hold my own. 

But for now, I remain a bassist.

• Like 3

Hi all - just joined this forum as for some reason I had been on the US centred talkbass for years without twigging there was a UK one! However, the US one does have tons of church musicians to chat to, which is one of my main musical outlets at the moment.

Last two weeks we've been without a drummer so somehow they convinced me to play Cajon instead, which this morning was with just keys plus a bunch of singers. Worked fine during the four or five songs until they threw in the classic Welsh "Guide me o thou great redeemer" at the end of the service when our keyboard player suddenly went all organist on me. There were so many pauses between, and even within, verses that after one or two practices before the service I just gave up on this one and joined the congregation!

Next week back to full band and playing bass again!

• Like 2

There are a lot of us here who play primarily (or exclusively) in church and it's a tremendous privilege to lead worship, and we do like to celebrate that. 

If you've read a bit of this thread you'll appreciate that quite often it's also a place to let off steam or ask for advice on "situations." 

Cahon and organ? I would have done the same as you and just enjoyed singing 😁

• Like 1

@SimonK I am definitely guilty of letting off steam in this thread because as church musicians, we all know that playing in church can be equally rewarding and frustrating.

Yesterday I led the sung worship, I was on bass and lead vocals, we played I SPEAK JESUS and whilst we have played it countless times before, for some reason it really resonated in the hearts of the congregation.  There was a huge and very vocal outpouring of love for Christ and it made the hairs on my arms stand up, it was a honor to be a part of it and it made me love what I do even more.  I'm still buzzing this morning.

Yes, I moan about playing in church but, I love it too 😁

Edited by Nice Guy Rich
  • Like 4

I knew I would like this community, and hopefully it is a bit more "English" than all the Americans on Talkbass who can't help mixing politics into their discussions (and for the record I only want to talk about music here - I can get the politics/theology elsewhere!).

Here was this week's rather abnormal setup for me. Next week will be back to bass duties on the rather lovely Trace in the background (I can tell you the story of how I rescued it from certain death at another time!):

IMG_20240211_095334865_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.88535a31b4962a44946ba8fb50874f51.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoodShowSir said:

Huh, hopefully not too "stalkery".... I think I do slimming world in your Church building!

Always check out the bass amp when standing in line (just looking, no touching I promise! :D). Have to hear your story!

Small world - if you are meaning St Lukes!

You will probably have seen the little procession of bass amps recently. This is because I have a friend who is an electronics whizz so we have been buying old, broken, amps and fixing them up. While we sell most of them I put the ones I like in church for a bit until something better comes along. That's why there was an Ashdown Mag 300 for six months or so until I donated it to another church that needed a bass amp. Then we had a Trace GP7 with a 1x15, but after I found a Trace 4x10 missing its amp (for £50!) we switched the GP7 out of the smaller combo and into the one in the picture above. I'm waiting for a suitably priced GP11 or 12 to come along at which point I will probably give the GP7 back to its original speaker.

My personal current rig is an Aguilar 350 into a Trace 2103x and 1518 which I had in church over Christmas while I was getting the Trace combo sorted. However, I'm not convinced my stack sounds much better than the GP7 and 4x10!

20 minutes ago, SimonK said:

I'm waiting for a suitably priced GP11 or 12 to come along at which point I will probably give the GP7 back to its original speaker...

...and with the GP12SMX+4x10 you will have one of the finest combos ever made. Not to mention heaviest :lol: 

• Like 1