Why become a member? ×

Headphones

KERMITNT

I have a pandora and i want to practice with headphones can you tell me a good set to buy.. The ones i ve got was a decent one 35 euros but broken now..

I heard that it has to be a good one in order to not deaf myself...

Hearing is an essential feeling for everyone especially in here bass chatters help me to buy... ;)

Decent headphones are a wise investment, at the moment i've got some sennheiser hd595's, they're fantastic, but the bass response isn't the best, you can hear the bass frequencies sure, but you can't really feel them as much as i'd like, and they're an open design so they leak a LOT of sound, they were around £100, my dads got some bose's for around £120, you can feel the bass a lot more in them. I've also had 2 pairs of sony mdr v-700's, they were fantastic, the first pair broke inside 6 months, but i liked them so much i got another pair, which broke the exact same way, they're very badly designed and built but sound great (like all sony stuff), but they may have imrpvoed them, this wears a few years ago, or brought a new version out.

[url="http://www.headphone.com/"]this[/url] site is quite helpful for buying advice, and lets you compare the technical performance of 4 pairs of headphones if you understand that stuff. [url="http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/"]this[/url] site's good too.

Sorry for the long post, i'm quite into headphones

I have tried various things with bass and have always found that Shure E2c's faithfully replicate what my bass sounds like - so when I am playing about at home I know what I hear is what will go to record in the studio.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Pkomor' post='386621' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:45 PM']Iv got 2 pairs of 'grado sr60s'
they're great Hi-Fi headphones. i should imagined they'd be good for most things![/quote]

I love my Grados for music but for bass by itself they really don't do very well!

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='386566' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:07 PM']I have a pandora and i want to practice with headphones can you tell me a good set to buy.. The ones i ve got was a decent one 35 euros but broken now..[/quote]

Get yourself a second hand pair of Sennheiser 580s. They are the biz. Very, very accurate. Clean. Extended bass. Comfortable. They will last you a lifetime. Not far behind the world-class 650s. I have both.

I don't think they are a flat response, but I rate my Sennheiser EH500 (I think the model number is 500) very highly. When I was looking for a good pair of headphones I wanted them to be comfortable as I would be using them to practice for a number of hours at a time, and found that closed headphones can make my ears 'sweaty' and uncomfortable after a while. The EH500s are closed, but have vent holes to allow the air to circulate. I can wear them quite comfortably for extended durations, and I can't detect any noticable loss of sound quality from the venting.

I use both the Grado SR60 and Sennheiser HD215 and while i find the SR60's have a nicer tone they are open backed and do let in/out a lot of sound.
I find the HD215's are flatter and closed so i use them when other people are in the room.

EDIT: I used to live in Essex as well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='387507' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:54 PM']I use both the Grado SR60 and Sennheiser HD215 and while i find the SR60's have a nicer tone they are open backed and do let in/out a lot of sound.
I find the HD215's are flatter and closed so i use them when other people are in the room.

EDIT: I used to live in Essex as well.[/quote]

I got a pair of Sennheiser HD435s which were (are) on offer in Tesco - £35.00 I think. Known to be bass-heavy at first, but even out a bit after use for a while.

I find them great for picking up & emphasising the bassline.

I have Digitech Genesis 1 which I set on 'Blackface' amp model and 'American 4x10' cab. There is an input for the disc-player and also one for the earphones. It makes it very easy to learn new stuff & play along.

G.

I have a habit of breaking headphones so never go for expensive ones. If you are just looking for something to listen thorough that doesn't need to be perfect state of the art stuff then you could do a lot worse than a set of these:

[url="http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hed-home-entertainment/mdr-xd200"]http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hed-home-ent...nment/mdr-xd200[/url]

£19 a pair. I use these into my Genz for practicing and used them with my electronic drum kit and they're really good and really comfortable.