Why become a member? ×

Pedal Compressors With VU Meter?

Dubs

I’m looking for a good pedal compressor with a VU meter display so I can actually see the amount of compression that’s going on – I’m a bit of a simpleton and for some reason I need to be able to see it’s actually working and compressing my signal for me to believe that it's there (as well as the fact that the amount of flashing LEDs you have on you pedalboard directly correlates with how cool you are ;) ). I’m terrible with this because I’ve learnt to use some great RTAS compressors with some fantastic graphic interfaces and now I’ve lost the ability to judge compression without the help of a display :wacko:

I know of 2 that have this kind of display – the Aphex Punch Factory and the Ashdown Dual Band Compressor Pedal, and both have received quite dodgy reviews (the Ashdown in particular).

What else out there has a good VU meter display?

I haven't any experience with either of those pedals but have read more than a few less than encourage threads relating to both.

You may want to check this tb thread out, it might help you find what you're looking for:-

www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229874&highlight=compressor

Hmmm, I can't seem to get the above link to work.

Go to talkbass and search the effects forum with the word compressor. Look for a post by bongomania called
"compressor review megathread".

Edited by burno70

[quote name='burno70' post='384936' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:32 PM']I haven't any experience with either of those pedals but have read more than a few less than encourage threads relating to both.

You may want to check this tb thread out, it might help you find what you're looking for:-

www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229874&highlight=compressor

Hmmm, I can't seem to get the above link to work.

Go to talkbass and search the effects forum with the word compressor. Look for a post by bongomania called
"compressor review megathread".[/quote]

Thanks mate I’ll have a look.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='384959' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:58 PM']Is it possible to get a separate VU meter and put it after the compressor in the signal chain?

S.P.[/quote]

hmm maybe but I don’t think that’s what I’m after. I’d like to be able to see how much the signal is being compressed by – i.e. the meter will duck down showing the reduction in level rather than showing the overall output level like I think you’ve suggested (don’t know if that makes any sense).

I don't know if you have the equipment to be able to do this, but you could easily route your dry signal, and your compressed signal to seperate channels on a DAW and watch the level meters or even record the results to compare. Do this while you find your required setting, write the setting on the pedal.....

But it won't look cool.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='384967' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:08 PM']I don't know if you have the equipment to be able to do this, but you could easily route your dry signal, and your compressed signal to seperate channels on a DAW and watch the level meters or even record the results to compare. Do this while you find your required setting, write the setting on the pedal.....

But it won't look cool.[/quote]

That’s actually not a bad idea, but it won’t show me what I want to see. I’ll try and find a youtube video of what I’d like to be able to see, just gimme 10 mins…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='384970' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:11 PM']That’s actually not a bad idea, but it won’t show me what I want to see. I’ll try and find a youtube video of what I’d like to be able to see, just gimme 10 mins…[/quote]

Pretty much exactly what the Punch Factory does - [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=atMR5vpgxUI"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=atMR5vpgxUI[/url] – not a great video but you get the idea. The display is showing the reduction in level - the compression - not the output level.

I might just give it a go and if it’s sh*t I’ll try something else, but I’d still like to know what else out there does this.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='385019' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:00 PM']I know what you mean, but comparing signals would give you the same information, even if it doesn't look as cool. Sorry, I don't know any pedals with a VU meter. I'll feck off!![/quote]

Haha nah don’t feck off ;) I’m not sure it would give me the same info though cos the output level of the compressor won’t be taken into consideration when comparing the original signal level to the compressed level – it’s not the signal level that I want to monitor but rather the level of compression.

Good point, although there may be an indication as to where to set the output of the comp in it's manual, if you know what I mean?

I think you're more likely to get what you want in rack form. I have a rack tuner on my board, the front is facing up, and the body of the unit is rotated 90 degrees underneath the board. That'd look pretty cool with a nice compressor with VU meter!

Loads of comps have a glowing LED to indicate the amount of compression going on. The one on the EBS Multicomp works great - the main LED glows dimly when the effect is on, and shines brightly to show the amount of gain reduction. I think the BBE Opto Stomp may do this too but I haven't used one. The Diamond Compressor has a LED that changes colour when crossing the threshold.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='385117' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:20 PM']Loads of comps have a glowing LED to indicate the amount of compression going on. The one on the EBS Multicomp works great - the main LED glows dimly when the effect is on, and shines brightly to show the amount of gain reduction. I think the BBE Opto Stomp may do this too but I haven't used one. The Diamond Compressor has a LED that changes colour when crossing the threshold.[/quote]

Thanks for the info mate – I’ve heard loads of great things about the EBS Multicomp. I’ll look into it…

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='385299' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:41 PM']Got one of these spare that I just found the power supply for:

Got LEDs, will needs it own power supply, and can't be switched. But will sit cheerfully on a board.[/quote]

Are you looking to sell it then? Might give it a punt at the right price… ;)

What are you using as an alternative?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='385703' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:56 AM']Heh, it didn't come with a rotatable front. You have to "modify" it a little.[/quote]

ahhh ;) Do you have any pics of it in the "show us your pedalboard" thread?

Ok, so I’m getting the impression that the EBS is pretty good then? I’ll have to take a rain check on my cash flow cos I think even at about £70 or £80 for a used one it’s out of my price range at the moment, so I might see if I can A/B it against a few others I’m looking at and then decide if I can find the extra dough for it.

I’m in the process of moving away from a Pod to a pedalboard of separates so I’ve got a few fundamentals to buy like a good tuner and a compressor of some sort…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='385758' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:25 AM']Ok, so I’m getting the impression that the EBS is pretty good then? I’ll have to take a rain check on my cash flow cos I think even at about £70 or £80 for a used one it’s out of my price range at the moment, so I might see if I can A/B it against a few others I’m looking at and then decide if I can find the extra dough for it.

I’m in the process of moving away from a Pod to a pedalboard of separates so I’ve got a few fundamentals to buy like a good tuner and a compressor of some sort…[/quote]

Yes, its defo worth the wait. Get the cash together and then get it. Don't get a make do pedal because as soon as you a/b it to the multicomp you will be pretty upset ;)