Why become a member? ×

No Gas 2020?

Quilly

Going through a life evaluation again .  Haven't been in a band for over 10 years , but have a few basses. When I lived in my last place , I had basses on the wall and in the living room . 
I had an 8 string , a 5 , 6 , string , a telecaster bass , dean taxi bass , a steinberger full body bass , and a fretless . Nearly forgot the jack Daniels bass. 
Falling on hard times a few years ago, I trimmed the herd and thought I'd miss the telecaster especially , but tbh it was heavy and the band members were not too keen on its muddy ness .My first proper bass after learning on a tree copy of a precision was a Washburn status which I still have 

moving into a small flat , I bought a fretless / headless from a basschatter and a Warwick  corvette standard . 
I put basses on walls. The jack Daniels is staying in the living room. The Dean taxi bass is staying in the bedroom . 
I have got into bad habits by keeping basses as ornaments and not bothering with them . 
This has to stop . 
I have sold the steinberger subject to the usual today . 
One of my friends says keep it , but I've already got a headless and a headless fretless . 
What will probably happen is I'll carry on trimming the herd .I like the look of mint or surf green basses. What I may end up doing next year is getting rid of most of my basses and have a mustang or stingray old smoothie or something . One thing that's annoying in a small flat is having loads of gig bags , when I'm not even gigging . 
Back when I first started gigging and learning I had 3 basses which was enough . The vester fretless, Washburn status and a hohner cricket bat . They were not on display and were used regularly .Must resist thinking about the green basses for now ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2019 at 20:41, Lozz196 said:

Given that I’m leaving my band I’ll be in the position of offloading a lot of gear. Am currently trying to justify to myself that having 3 Precisions when not in a band is acceptable. So if anything my GAS for 2020 is finding a reason to keep stuff I don’t need, rather than buying more stuff I don’t need.

Pretty much the same thing for me. I’m currently bandless, and not 100% sure if I’m going to join another band in 2020 yet despite having a couple of irons in the fire. Whatever happens I’m going to be downsizing - thinning the herd on the bass front and moving my big rig on to be replaced by something smaller and lighter. 2020 is going to be GAS-less for me, at least that’s the intention.

For me GAS has become a permanent health issue, there is no cure. There are always things out there I want/feel I NEED, the only preventative factor is money! 

If I ever won a horrendous amount of cash the collection would exponentially grow. I once saw a guy who bought and old church and it was literally full to the brim of outstanding gear, hundreds of incredible guitars, basses, amps etc. THAT is what I'd do, and even then I doubt that would cure the GAS. 

GAS is something that needs getting used to and managing correctly, there is no cure!