Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='peted' post='388585' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:52 PM']I like it. The body make me think of Ritter and has very pleasing lines and proportions.[/quote]

Thanks. I always think ergonomics should come first. We're humans - are bodies are curved (I'm getting more curvier as the years pass) - so we like our instruments curved.

If we were spiders we'd probably like metal basses. If we were robots we'd like headless basses or Rickenbackers.

I think that looks really nice now you've shaved a bit off the lower horn ;) Also i vote headstock A.

Also is that trans amber on a flamed maple top what you're going to go for or do you have any other ideas? Personally i think a nice deep blue would look really good on a nice piece of really well defined flamed maple, mmmmm

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='388947' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:45 PM']I think that looks really nice now you've shaved a bit off the lower horn ;) Also i vote headstock A.

Also is that trans amber on a flamed maple top what you're going to go for or do you have any other ideas? Personally i think a nice deep blue would look really good on a nice piece of really well defined flamed maple, mmmmm[/quote]

I really like that golden colour on the pic of the Pedulla but I'm probably going to go for a natural oil finish

[quote name='steve-soar' post='388972' date='Jan 22 2009, 08:01 PM']What pickups and pre are you thinking of?

Do you still have your Bass Machine? I loved the sound of that old girl.[/quote]

You mean the H&H? Yeah, I've still got that! Weighs a ton and the volume fades down - then surges up all by itself.

I'm going to put EMG Hz's in it together with an ACG pre (hopefully). Pickups have me STUMPed!

Meet Mike and Steve - the brains, the hands and the boiler suits behind the Zoot operation. Working from a windowless, workshop deep in one of the darkest corners of rain-soaked Essex, there is a smell of sawdust, tobacco, fairy cakes and doughnuts about these two (the sweet smell of success) as they toil relentlessly transforming bits of wood, bark, plastic, wire and glue into sensual objects of beauty. They are agents of the fundamental, ministers of 100 hz - 250 hz.

Mike is the proper dude, he's such a nice fella. When he still ran the Bass Merchant I bought a Trace cab off him, he took me into the workshop and showed me every single bass in production, going over all the intricate details of each one. Didn;t need to, I didn't even ask, but he did it as part of the experience. It was awesome ;)

MB1. ;)
Cant pick any i'm afraid!
Cant help thinking that lower horn is both totally impractical,possibly sexually Offensive,and probably more trouble than its worth!... custom case required!
Just a thought... but Dont the upper and lower horns affect Bass and treble response?
However!....leave me out of this.....Im not paying for it ! :P

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='389836' date='Jan 23 2009, 05:35 PM']MB1. ;)
Cant pick any i'm afraid!
Cant help thinking that lower horn is both totally impractical,possibly sexually Offensive,and probably more trouble than its worth!... custom case required!
Just a thought... but Dont the upper and lower horns affect Bass and treble response?[/quote]

But you've got it the wrong way round. All I've done is design the lower horn how it [i]should[/i] be - in honour of the human body, in honour of the player. The little, fashionably compromised lower horn we get on most basses these days is the 'impractical' one! It serves no purpose.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='389848' date='Jan 23 2009, 05:47 PM']But you've got it the wrong way round. All I've done is design the lower horn how it [i]should[/i] be - in honour of the human body, in honour of the player. The little, fashionably compromised lower horn we get on most basses these days is the 'impractical' one! It serves no purpose.[/quote]

MB1. :P
The Buzzard bass Warwick or Status ....John Entwistle used to use the lower horn to hang the basses on his home bar rail!
...are you prepared to bend your lower horn?.... ;)

[quote name='Merton' post='389791' date='Jan 23 2009, 04:53 PM']Mike is the proper dude, he's such a nice fella. When he still ran the Bass Merchant I bought a Trace cab off him, he took me into the workshop and showed me every single bass in production, going over all the intricate details of each one. Didn;t need to, I didn't even ask, but he did it as part of the experience. It was awesome ;)[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. It's difficult to get a word in edges due to his motormouth barrage of anecdotes and technical info. I've just got to try and get him to focus on my lower horn now *ahem*

This is probably going to be the maple on the face of the guitar with a birdseye maple fingerboard. I'm thinking of having a little amber/honey colouring in the lacquer.

There's such a lot to think about. Today I found it almost impossible to decide whether I wanted a black veneer between the fingerboard and neck or what sort of markers I wanted on the fingerboard.

Anyway, Mike is digitizing my drawing and next week I'll go back and settle on the final positions of the neck and body, all the hardware, the electronic cavity, routes and electronics. It's all established on the computer first then the machine will cut the laminated wood later on.

[quote name='7string' post='389082' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:25 PM']Doing my usual trawl through the bass forums, I found this and it reminded me of the Spoombung bass. Couldn't save the picture though ;)

[url="http://www.ledbellibass.com/2008%20Gallery.htm"]http://www.ledbellibass.com/2008%20Gallery.htm[/url][/quote]

[quote name='MB1' post='390624' date='Jan 24 2009, 07:44 PM']MB1. ;)
The stuff of Myth? OR....
Could possibly be the contents of the Legendary Voodoo Butter Underpants thrown onstage during a Zappa Gig! :P[/quote]

We're going to lose a lot of people who have subscribed to this thread with nonsense like that!