sselterf

Boutique 4string hoard - Acacia, Hanewinckel, Jerzy Drozd, (gone: CB, Overwater, Clover, Tobias)
£9400
Berlin DE

Having a family shifts priorities for spending time and money. That said, some of my basses have to go; by taking your pick, you'll tell me which to keep.

On the block (from the left):

• Acacia Custom w/Lane Poor pickups, £ 1200, details added please scroll south
  • Clover Slapper, £ 900 gone
  • Hanewinckel Custom, £ 900, details added
  • Jerzy Drozd Excellency IV, £ 2000, scroll for details
  • Tobias Classic pre-Gibson, £ 2000 sold
  • Overwater Progress III Deluxe fretless, £ 1200 gone
  • Cliff Bordwell D-Bass, £ 1200 sold

Any particular interest, please let me know.

All instruments are in great condition - well, the odd miniscule ding, superficial scratches - and necks are slim and adjustable for very low action, which I'm partial to. All the basses have been with me for a minimum of 10 years and have lovingly been looked after (and, though not as often as they deserve, even played). Time for new strings on some.

Price includes basic GLS shipping to your doorstep, provided the address is within the European Union. Anywhere else, lets talk. Pick-up possible in Berlin. For those that count their coins in €, please assume 115% of the  £ price. Since I know how risky it is to buy a bass unseen, unheard, unfelt, I'll accept returns within 3 days of delivery. Full refund minus shipping costs, given undamaged/untampered condition. Easy to offer, they're keepers.

For the bros/sis over the pond, yes, I'll ship to the US, which is not really all that expensive. After all, this is where some of my gear came from, duly imported. And in case of issues I could provide a US return shipping address, courtesy of family over there.

Not looking for trades please, as it wouldn't quite answer the purpose.

Any questions, please PM.

Cheers,
Claas

My feedback: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/165134-feedback-for-sselterf-aka-claas/

CIMG0129.jpg

Edited by sselterf
progress update
  • Like 4

Oh my!... :o

What a lovely family you have 9_9

Looks like someone's lost their head though... :D

Is there a bulk buy discount if one should purchase all seven?...

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because he's always got something else to say...

The Clover Slapper, gone almost instantly:

Quilted stained orange facings on Mahogany core, Graphite through neck. No truss, but good and true 34'' neck. Phenolic board, Bartolini pickups, SKC PM3L electronics (identified by Stefan Heß of Bogart) vol, pan, treb, mid, bass boost/cut; a/p switch. Big punch. Year of birth 1989. Wheights in at 8lbs/3,70kg.

2019-11-19 10.32.27.jpg

Edited by sselterf
updated
  • Like 2

The Overwater: spoken for

Progress III Deluxe model, Figured English Walnut on Central American Mahogany, natural satin finish, Maple/Bubinga 5ply through 34' neck. Ebony board, Overwater pickups, Overwater 3 preamp vol, blend, eq treb, mid, bass. 2005 instrument, IIRC. 9,0lbs/4,15kg.

2019-11-19 10.00.57.jpg

Edited by sselterf
  • Like 1

The Jerzy Drozd: available

Excellency IV Custom, 2002. I was told this is the Signature model, built as a bolt-on on request. Burly Walnut on Flamed Walnut body, Wenge/Bubinga/Maple 7-ply bolt on neck. Ebony board, DiMarzio Pickups, Bartolini 2-band eq: vol, bass boost/cut, treb boost/cut, midrange/tone; a/p switch. 3,6 Ibs/7,8 kg. A precision bass on steriods.

It's got one of the slimmest necks I've ever played, 21mm front-to-back depth (or rather thinness) at 12th fret. And this is including an extremely thick slab of ebony for the fretboard, and a reach of 28 frets. Defying physics, the neck is extremely stable, I only needed to adjust after changing string type. Did I mention very low action? 34'' scale.

Perfect craftsmanship, a great instrument and a piece of art in itself.

Original Jerzy Drozd branded Softshell Case included.

2019-11-19 10.48.11.jpg

2019-11-19 10.48.17.jpg

2019-11-19 10.48.25.jpg

2019-11-19 10.49.37.jpg

2019-11-19 10.49.43.jpg

2019-11-19 10.50.20.jpg

2019-11-19 10.50.42.jpg

2019-11-19 10.47.46.jpg

2019-11-19 10.47.50.jpg

2019-11-19 10.47.55.jpg

2019-11-19 10.48.06.jpg

CIMG0077.JPG

Edited by sselterf

The Acacia: available

Built by the elusive Matt Friedmann in the US in 1999. Quilted Maple top on Mahogany, African Tulipwood back, 5-ply 34'' through neck wenge/purpleheart/rock maple/purpleheart/wenge. Ebony board, 19mm spacing. Neck has a somewhat V-type profile, albeit slim, think Wal type neck feel. Neck between board and pickups carved as a ramp. 3,75 lbs/8,2 kg.

Sports the coveted Lane Poor soapbar pickups, Aguilar OB-2 electronics, vol/vol stack, bass/treble stack, tone control for passive, active/passive switch, on/off switch.

I was asked about the tone, which I find difficult to answer - IMHO, voice is very balanced as per wood selection, strong in the mids, long and clear sustain. Selection wise, it is combining the versatiliy of the Aguilar with the power and range of the Lane Poors. In passive, sound is rather clear; switched to active, the words "mighty" and "groundshaking" come to mind. Quite a broad range, especially going downstairs in sound. Will command any drummer's respect.

Condition is good; some small imperfections that are original to the clear coat, the token cracks in the clearcoat around the tone pot, some little scratches you're welcome to search and find with a magnifier.

Hardshell case included.

2019-11-19 10.59.52.jpg

2019-11-19 10.59.57.jpg

2019-11-19 11.00.03.jpg

2019-11-19 11.00.14.jpg

2019-11-19 11.00.21.jpg

2019-11-19 11.00.28.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

R0014452.JPG

Edited by sselterf
  • Like 1

The Hanewinckel: available

Bespoke instrument by Pete Hanewinckel, 1999. Walnut on Alder w/Walnut stringers, 7-ply Maple/Walnut 34'' bolt-on neck, Cocobolo board. Bartolini K pickups, passive electronics vol, blend, tone. No worries about changing batteries... 7,6 lbs/3,5 kg lightweight. This is how a Jazz Bass should be, if done properly - and for those that are not partial to the market leader's mass production models. Nice warm sound, great neck feel.

Pretty good condition but for the two scratches to the wood on the butt.

Original Hanewinckel-branded gigbag included.

2019-11-19 10.25.15.jpg

2019-11-19 10.25.21.jpg

2019-11-19 10.25.30.jpg

2019-11-19 10.25.41.jpg

2019-11-19 10.25.53.jpg

2019-11-19 10.26.03.jpg

2019-11-19 10.26.27.jpg

2019-11-19 10.26.49.jpg

CIMG8981.JPG

CIMG8982.JPG

Edited by sselterf
  • Like 1

The Overwater arrived a couple of days ago, expertly packaged and just as described...can highly recommend buying from sselterf and have a bump on me! 😊

The Tobias: sold

All original Tobias Classic 4, pre-Gibson, built in 1988 long before the Gibson buyout. Purpleheart facing on Walnut wings, Walnut/Purpleheart 5-ply through neck, Tobias-typical sleek and slightly offset/asymetrical neck profile. Morado board, Bartolini Tobias pickups.

2019-11-19 11.36.32.jpg

Edited by sselterf
update
  • Like 2

I bought the CB bass and it was one of the best deals I've had here on BC. Highly recommended BC seller - good luck with the sale. 

A bump from a very happy and satisfied buyer. Cheers. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By manudepaz
      Selling my Obsession Legend VI fretless, very good condition (9/10),  case included.
      Price drop: 2500GBP
      No trades, please.
      Specifications:   
      - 6 string
      - Scale     35"
      - Fretless with 36 fret positions
      - Body: mahogany/maple
      - Construction: bolton neck
      - Neck: maple
      - Fretboard: Ebony
      - Nut: Ebony
      - Bridge: Jerzy Drozd propietary bridge and tailpiece, string spacing is not adjustable
      - Piezo: RMC
      - Hardware color Gold
      - Pickups: Jerzy Drozd split single coil type pickup + RMC pickups at bridge
      - Electronics: Aguilar OBP-3 active preamp - 3 band
      - Controls: Volume, Balance, Treble, Middle, Bass, Passive tone, Active/pasive switch
      - Knobs: Wooden dome knobs, 18mm diameter
      - Body finish: Poliurethane/ Acrilic satin finish
      - Neck finish: Poliurethane/ Acrilic satin finish

• By foxtrott
      The bass is in good condition, technically tiptop, with usual optical used tracks (on the back of the body) and on the top plate smaller things, which I captured in the photos as best as possible.
      Pricedrop 3500 € or Trade Options: Fender Precision or Fretless Bass
      The tone and response is extremely direct and resonant. The playability very comfortable.
      Here are some soundfiles, recorded at home.
      Fingerstyle

Slap

Specs: 2006 Jerzy Drozd Obsession Excellency 6 Strings 35" Scale 24 Frets Etimoe Body Zebrawood Top 3 Piece Maple Neck 7 Screws Bolt-on Maple Neck Ebony Fretboard Matching Headstock Two pieces Jerzy Drozd Bridge Two Jerzy Drozd Single Coils Pickup Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp 18mm strings spacing, possible to up to 19mm or down to 16.5mm. 9mm at nut Ebony Nut Asymetrical D Neck Controls : Volume/Blend/Bass/Medium 400hz or 800hz/Treble Trussrod : One double-acting fully working Weight : 4.4kg Machine heads : Gotoh Controls Knobs : Wood, maple and Zebrawood.  

• By cascanicoff
      Now up for grabs this beautiful Jerzy Drozd 5 strings bass. A great bass with the following specs:
      Aguilar Preamp 3 bands active/passive Etiome body Ebony fingerboard Maple neck 35" scale Weight: 4 kg. I used to have doubts about the 35" scale, but this bass has erased them all. I can barely find any difference to my 34" basses in the ergonomy or the feeling at playing. It is extremely easy to play, with great balance and an amazing build quality. A wonderful instrument that really makes justice to the fame of the builder.
      The Jerzy has some cosmetic wear that can be seen in the pictures. It has already been -generously- applied to the final price of 980 pounds. It is located in Bilbao - Spain.
      Cheers, Gorka

• By Cleanhead
      massive price drop: 5.600,- EUR to 4.990,- EUR / 4.480,- GBP
      open for offers
      a rose is a rose is a rose ... is just
      And this is one of the most incredible basses I ever had the chance to call it one of mine.
      Stuning, marvellous, an absolutely work of art.
      It´s is a Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI
      Absolutley no chips or dents, like brand new. Cause it is like brand new.
      But ...
      Long story short:
      I bought this bass last year in september from Jesus Rico from spain. Originally the bass was a fretless one with a natural color.
      Unfortunately sometimes later the truss rod broke.
      So there was no other possibility to sent the bass to master luthier Jerzy Drozd to repaire it.
      As you can see, this bass is a neck through version, so not only the fretboard has to be removed to fix the truss rod, after that, the bass had to be completely repainted.
      I´d decided to gave her a new color and turn it to a fretted version. Drozd suggested to chance the pickup to the newest version, too.
      So what do you see here right now, is an instrument that´s like a new one direct out of the workshop from Jerzy Drozd, but the woods are originaly assembled in 2005, the fretboard, fretwork, pickup and color are brand new.
      The entire repair costs were: 2.798,- EUR (bills available)
      Why do I sell her right now.
      I own three Ritter basses, a sixer and two fivers. When the Drozd came back from repair I put my Ritter´s beside and played the Drozd for a while - only at home, no band pratice, no gig -, than I take my Ritter 6 String Classic and after seconds one thing was abolutly clear. The Ritter still the bass for me, in every aspect. The Drozd will allways be like a back up, it´ll be never played on stage or in a band, I´ll allways take my Ritter. And last but not least I am not a collector. That´s it.
      Some specs at least:
      originaly from 27.09.2005 completly refurbished between Dez. 2018 - Mai 2019 Etimoe (a kind of mahogany) body wings laminated maple neck through body design (2 carbon extra reinforcement bars) birdseye burl maple top with matching head stock extended 32 frets maple board brass nut special custom body design Aguilar obp3, 18 volts preamp Custom Jerzy Drozd JEDX humbucker with maple wood cover Recessed wood knobs weight: 4,3kg on the bathroom scale Original Jerzy Drozd case Price: 5.600,- EUR / 5.010,- GBP (negotiable) 4.990,- EUR / 4.480,- GBP
      open for your offer
      and here, a short snippet. Recorded quick and dirty. Bass direct into a Scarlett Solo. Recorded with GarageBand. No EQ or anything else.
      On the bass: Treble half way down, Middle and Bass half up.
      Quick and dirty
      And one more: Direct into the Scarlett Solo, too. Recorded with GarageBand, no EQ-ing or something else.
      At the end of the clip you can hear the strings played separately
      50 ways
      trade option: Mike Lull 5 string basses, a nice P-Bass, Glockenklang Blue Sky, Mesa Boogie Walkabout
      sorry for my bad english

• By JESUS RICO
      FOR SALE JERZY DROZD MASTERY VI FRETLESS CUSTOM 
      PRICE DROP: 2400£ / 2700 Euros
      Located in Arroyo de la Miel, Spain.
      FOR SALE THIS LOVELY JERZY DROZD MASTERY VI FRETLESS CUSTOM, BUILT IN 2005 BY THE FAMOUS MASTER LUTHIER JERZY DROZD IN BARCELONA, SPAIN; THIS WAS A VERY SPECIAL CUSTOM ORDER FROM THE ORIGINAL PREVIOUS OWNER, EXTENDED EBONY FRETBOARD, 34 FRET LINES, WITH CUSTOM WOOD INLAYS ANS A EXCLUSIVE BODY DESIGN WITH A FULL ACCES TO HIGHER NOTES.
      LOW ACTION, VERY EASY TO PLAY,  THIS BASS SOUNDS  A M A Z I N G ,  SOUNDS IN MY OPINION "ALA YVES CARBONNE" STILE. THE MASTERY SERIES WAS OUT OF PRODUCTION YEARS AGO, PLUS THIS IS A UNIQUE CUSTOM DESIGN, SO THIS IS GOOD TIME TO GET THIS STUNNING BASS IN A GOOD SHAPE.  HERE´S A VIDEO OF THIS BEAUTY IN ACTION ( IN THIS CASE STRUNG AS A 7 STRINGS BASS EADGCF); OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN GET A MORE TRADITIONAL SOUND WITH  "NORMAL" STRINGS AND TUNING BEADGC.
      VIDEO:
      http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/01/02/jesus-rico-perez-ana/
      SOUND SAMPLE  -HEAR THIS WITH HEADPHONES- ( track 2 ) :
      https://jesusricoperez.bandcamp.com/
      Specifications:
      - LAMINATED MAPLE NECK THROUGH BODY DESIGN (2 CARBON EXTRA REINFORCEMENT BARS)
      -ETIMOE ( A KIND OF MAHOGANY ) BODY WINGS
      -BIRDSEYE BURL MAPLE TOP, WITH MATCHING HEADSTOCK AND TRUSS ROD COVER.
      -DUAL TRUSSS ROD.
      -EXTENDED ( ALMOST 3 OCTAVES, 34 FRETLINES) EBONY FRETBOARD WITH FRETLINES AND DOTS IN MAPLE, AND UNIQUE CUSTOM WOOD INLAYS.
      -EBONY NUT
      -SPECIAL CUSTOM BODY DESIGN
      -PREAMP AGUILAR OBP 3, 18 VOLTS.
      -CUSTOM JERZY DROZD JEDX single coil PICKUP WITH WOOD COVER.
      -RECESSED WOOD KNOBS
      -JERZY DROZD CUSTOM DESIGN BRIDGE, ADJUSTABLE FROM 17mm. TO 19mm.
      -TRUSSROD AND ELECTRONICS WORKING IN PERFECT CONDITIONS, WITH NO SURPRISES.
      -HAS SOME  MINIMAL WEAR ON THE EDGE OF PICKUP AND BODY BACK ( AS YOU CAN SEE SHOW IN PHOTOS)
      -SECURITY DUNLOP STRAPLOCKS
      -35" SCALE ( FOR ME MORE EASY TO PLAY IN TUNE THAN A TRADITIONAL 34" )
      -COMES WITH ORIGINAL JERZY DROZD CASE and TOOLS.
      TO PICKUP IN PERSON, OR  INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING CAN BE ARRANGED (PROTECTED IN A CARDBOARD BOX AND BUBBLE PROTECTIONS) AT BUYERS COSTS.
      PRICE 3500 euros,  3060 £.
      NEW PRICE DROP: 2400£ / 2700 Euros
      NO TRADES PLEASE.
      ANY QUESTION, PLEASE SEND ME A P.M.
      THANKS FOR LOOKING!