Why become a member? ×

Schroeder

Protium

[quote name='Protium' post='380622' date='Jan 14 2009, 07:52 PM']I'm considering a Schroeder cab, and have narrowed it down to the 1212 or 1210.

Can anyone comment on the differences between the two? Is there any advantage in the angled 10" speaker over the 12"?

Cheers ;)[/quote]

Davebass5 is your man for this! :)

I've got a 1210R and love it. Its an easy lift, small, compact, and really gives it some welly. Good subharmonic bass and crystal top end that really cuts through. I was scared off by some of the comments about the edgy midrange but it really isn't an issue and you'll never lose yourself on stage. Buy with confidence.... but which one!?! :P

Once broken in, the1212L kicks major ass.

Sometimes seen as very midrangey, you can add in a load of bass with no farts.

I'm going to be using mine this weekend with my latest 5 string acquisition.This will be the very first time I have used it with a 5 string.

I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that someone had a 1210R which they reckon sounded very much like a 1212L but that would've been one of the models that i have before Jorg started using the new drivers

Ok, it's pretty much fixed that I hate tweeters (well, certainly with the Rics, which are my main gigging basses). So, for a man who hates tweeters, are the Schroeders going to work? Can you turn the tweeters off? If so, should you? They're on my short list for replacement cabs (something I need very soon, although I'm still struggling cash-wise at the moment) but I'm really worried about ending up with something that's going to be to glassy for me.

I've posted this before in other places, and this is something like my ideal tone. Jorg reckons I should be able to get it no problem, but with all respect to him I'd just like a few more unbiased opinions. FWIW I'd say Jon Camp (the player featured) probably plays harder than me, but it's a similar sound (although grittier) to what I used to get from my old (very old) Trace rig. Oh, I'm using an Ashdown ABM500 head. All the Schroeder clips I've seen are nothing like this style or sound so it's really difficult to judge.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM[/url]

I prefer a more dirty "who are you looking at?" tone and I get that in barrel fulls from my cab.

Don't think that these cabs are proper la de da, where shall I place the salad fork mama? stupid crap. These are the bollocks.

The bollocks - these are the Bon Scott of bass cabs

[quote name='4000' post='381805' date='Jan 15 2009, 10:26 PM']Ok, it's pretty much fixed that I hate tweeters (well, certainly with the Rics, which are my main gigging basses). So, for a man who hates tweeters, are the Schroeders going to work? Can you turn the tweeters off? If so, should you? They're on my short list for replacement cabs (something I need very soon, although I'm still struggling cash-wise at the moment) but I'm really worried about ending up with something that's going to be to glassy for me.

I've posted this before in other places, and this is something like my ideal tone. Jorg reckons I should be able to get it no problem, but with all respect to him I'd just like a few more unbiased opinions. FWIW I'd say Jon Camp (the player featured) probably plays harder than me, but it's a similar sound (although grittier) to what I used to get from my old (very old) Trace rig. Oh, I'm using an Ashdown ABM500 head. All the Schroeder clips I've seen are nothing like this style or sound so it's really difficult to judge.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM[/url][/quote]

Yeah there's an attenuator at the back, i turn mine right off as i hate them too! The one in the 1212r i have isn't really offensive, just the highs are more natural with it turned off.
I'd say it's anything but glassy. I have a low-mid heavy tone which the Schro does brilliantly, miles better than any other cab i've heard.
Get one!

I demoed both the 1210 and 1212 side by side. Both were really good, but tI went for the 1212 as it hade a warmer more rounded sound, pretty much as you'd expect. Best on stage and FOH sound I've ever had, a real live enviornment cab.

[quote name='ezbass' post='382698' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:58 PM']I demoed both the 1210 and 1212 side by side. Both were really good, but I went for the 1212 as it had a warmer more rounded sound, pretty much as you'd expect. Best on stage and FOH sound I've ever had, a real live environment cab.[/quote]

Same here.
I run a 1210R with a LMII and a 1212L with a SA450 and while ive had the 1210R for about three years now ive always thought it can be a bit in your face. It does the job its intended to, no question, but as i dont really like 10"s its always bugged me a bit.
Since June last year ive had a 1212L and this is all i could ever want. It has the kick and punch of the 1210 but without the upper mid boost (i think thats where it is) that the 10" gives.
Plus, the newer 1212L's have a different make of driver in them and they sound a bit rounder or "conventional" as Jorg puts it.
I tend to keep the tweeter almost off on both cabs. i play with a pick and dont really like the click i sometimes get on the higher strings. Plus i find on stage both cabs can sound a bit clanky and harsh (more so the 1210R), even though out front they both sound quite warm.

Never have trouble hearing myself and quite often the guitarist moans im too loud. Cant get much better than that ;-).
We only use vocal PA's in both bands and while i do go through the PA its more for spread than sound reinforcement. Both rigs never need to be pushed too hard.

I think if its a choice between all the small cabs the latest 1212L is the top of the pile.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='384951' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:53 PM']Never have trouble hearing myself and quite often the guitarist moans im too loud. Cant get much better than that ;-).[/quote]

That makes a change eh? Make him suffer, that's what I say. Hee Hee Hee!

After Saturday's gig I can confirm that the 1212L took everything I threw at it with the 5 string.

Even with the limiter coming on my Shuttle 6.0 when I hit the B very hard, there was no indication that the cab had any difficulty at all handling it.

Afrer only 1 gig I can say that the sound of a Corvette 5 string $$ through a Shuttle into a Shcroeder cab is absoutely phenomenal.

I had my guitarist over here the day after my 1212L turned up and I let him play through it for a bit, he was really impressed with it. Then I took the amp off the top and said "Try to lift it". He was totally flummoxed by how light it was. He put it down a couple of times and lifted it again, just to make sure!

Personally I think it's a little bit light on the bottom end, seems to need 4 or 5db boost at the very bottom, but if you've got a powerful enough amp (the cab's rated for 800W) you can just chuck EQ at it and it's problem solved. It'll handle it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='386178' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:48 PM']I had my guitarist over here the day after my 1212L turned up and I let him play through it for a bit, he was really impressed with it. Then I took the amp off the top and said "Try to lift it". He was totally flummoxed by how light it was. He put it down a couple of times and lifted it again, just to make sure!

Personally I think it's a little bit light on the bottom end, seems to need 4 or 5db boost at the very bottom, but if you've got a powerful enough amp (the cab's rated for 800W) you can just chuck EQ at it and it's problem solved. It'll handle it.[/quote]

Yeah, its amazing the first time you pick it up. Im used to my old 1210R being quite heavy but when my 1212L first turned up i thought they had forgotten to put the drivers in it.
Even though i now have a very light rig i still have to struggle with both guitarist's way too heavy combo's during load in and out :-(

I also agree that they are slightly low end light but i find adding a bit of VPF on my MB heads helps correct that. I tend to use that more than the low end knob, putting back a little mid range with the low mid knob if needed.

Ive gone out in the room at a few of the venues and been knocked out by how full these cabs sound, especially when the on stage sound is quite middy.

Im looking to get a 115L this year to replace the 1210R but at the moment its just a dream.

Edited by dave_bass5