Why become a member? ×

Post your home builds

Mr. Foxen

Being in the hanit of taking really cheap basses, that I got extra cheap, and totally rebuilding them, am curious to see what others have done, am just waiting for some routing to be done on my latest that I'm making out of the leftovers of my previous attempts.

This is the imfamous pink bass that was voted too 'gay' for my doom band:

Johnson bass body, figured lefty neck scored from ebay, Gotoh overcomplicated super adjustable bridge, stack pots from the forum, Kent armstrong pups from Ebay and forum, Neck is held on with brass inserts in the neck and hex key machine bolts, with a 1/8" neckplate, solid as a rock. The body was from a bass hung in a shop window till it faded, the flash has made it even worse. The original fingerboard was a sorry pasty colour also, been feeding it oil, but still not as dark as my other Johnson bass. Fair amount of different sounds can be coaxed out of this, but it is very pink.

The body was painted in some kind of car spray orange, had to be hand sanded to clean it all up and found the flame underneath. Neck dots were added by paul from arrowhead who did an outstanding job. Ended up selling it to a member on the old BW forums. Sounded great ;)

Edited by RichValentine

My parts jazz
[attachment=18650:DSC00229.JPG]
[attachment=18651:DSC00230.JPG]
started off as a westfield jazz copy, replaced bridge to a higher mass bridge, put some jap fender pickups in, added some jazz control knobs, scored a beautiful nitro finished neck off ebay and stuck that on, fitted a neck pickup cover too! was a pretty cool bass, apparantly with some polish guy now i think!

[quote name='thedonutman' post='380547' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:45 PM']I built this when I was 13/14, with no experience of woodwork or using power tools at all ;)

You should see the neck pocket routing.......[/quote]

I just about made the Tirpitz out of a plastic kit at that age - don't knock the neck pocket - that's a fantastic achievement.

My DSP started as an Allparts body and neck. I added the DS, scratch and covers:

I recently put a Squier CV Jazz body and a J&D Brothers fretless neck together:

Problem is the neck's for a MM style bass (21 frets rather than 20) I've moved the bridge to sort out intonation:

I may even tractor it up with some pimpin' Kent Armstrong Lipsticks/ Dark star with a scratch to match my P.

Dan

The Jazz consists of an American Deluxe Oly White Pearl body, allparts neck, bad ass II, Hipshot tuners, La Bella Deep Talkin flats, Lindy Fralins and a varitone control plate bought from some american bloke on ebay...some great sounds to be had from it...especially in the hands of someone who can play better than me. Weighs next to nothing...certainly a whole lot lighter than the MIJ 75RI jazz i had for a while.

Edited by thebeat

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='382610' date='Jan 16 2009, 04:45 PM']I put together this Warmoth.....

[/quote]

Ooh, that`s nice.

Amazingly, I`ve only just today seen this thread, but yesterday I dug out the Carvin Kit that`s been sat under my bed for the best part of 12 months and made a start on the neck.