Why become a member? ×

Yngwie Malmsteen bass.

MacDaddy

46 minutes ago, NJE said:

Why would it be a wind up? I’m sure a lot of guitarists have basses, might be missing something here 🧐

Because probably more so than any other, Malmsteen is very much the guitarists guitarist. I would guess the majority of his audience are guitarists.

So who is the market for this? How many bassists are going to buy a bass, because it's the sig model of a guitarist? Kind of in the same way as how many guitarists would buy a Jaco Pastorius signature model guitar?

Bono and The Edge, are on the Fender board, so it must make sense somewhere ;)

1 minute ago, MacDaddy said:

Because probably more so than any other, Malmsteen is very much the guitarists guitarist. I would guess the majority of his audience are guitarists.

So who is the market for this? How many bassists are going to buy a bass, because it's the sig model of a guitarist? Kind of in the same way as how many guitarists would buy a Jaco Pastorius signature model guitar?

Bono and The Edge, are on the Fender board, so it must make sense somewhere ;)

I have a Richie Sambora signature Stratocaster. Was I a fan? No, but I wanted a white/cream stratocaster with a humbucker at the bridge and a Floyd Rose, and in the 90s there was not much choice as grunge took over and it was uncool to know how to play, and all these Floyd Rose guitars became a relic of the past. 

The guitar had the right specs, looked good, sounded great. 

Same with this bass... it's a pretty cool looking Jazz. I don't think you need to be a fan to want one. Same with Flea's Jazz... it's a nice roadworn shell pink Jazz with stacked knobs, regardless of whose signature is on the headstock.

Just looked at the original Facebook post, I think something has been lost translation here, I think his post was just to say ‘hey I’m getting my bass out to play today’ rather than I’m bringing out a new signature bass. Could be wrong though... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Who said it was a YJM Signature J-Bass?  No one. He's making a new album  and was just showing off a really cool J-B.

Yngwie has several vintage Fender Bass's and he uses them quite often. He plays bass on most of his albums and he is very very good at it. I e seen him play an old Tele Bass and a fretless P-Bass. I does use a pick tho.