Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts

bass_ferret

[quote name='Rich' post='378899' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:39 PM']Enjoyed the music, but I didn't think Tal's Marcus-like tone sat particularly well with it. I was neither over- nor under-whelmed with her playing... she did the job, fair enough, but nothing remarkable.
There wouldn't be half so much hype surrounding her if she was either a} male, or b} a munter.[/quote]

I must admit I thought her tone on that programme was terrible, but having heard her on other things decided it was probably just the tv mix. Playing wise I just thought she was doing what she's obviously getting paid to do (you don't normally get to play with some of the people she's played with if you're not up to much). Either way, I'll let her off. I still think she's luuuuuverly....

One thing though, Jeff doesn't really do it for me (and I don't mean in a Tal way!). I sometimes get the impression that he's thinking more about how he's going to play the note than about the note he's going to play, and I'm not mad on his tone either, but hey, that's just me.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='slobluesine' post='379657' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:51 PM']i think Pino comes under the SH*T HOT category?[/quote]

OK, 1. :blush:

If you get the chance have a listen to the CD [b]Jeff Beck live at BB Kings blues club and grill.[/b], Again just Keys - Tony Hymas and Drums - Terry Bozzio. You bassist types could probably jam along to it eh...easy!!

The playing is sweet, I'm sure Bozzio is an octopus. ;)

Roger Sadowsky's 'discovery' and subsequent support is a stroke of marketing genius. She's your daughter/sister/girl-next-door and you just 'want to get to next to her' ;-) I can see the appeal to young turks and middle aged men immediately. All those yummy Raphaelian curls. Interested to see how Rogers NYC and Metro sales fare in the next few months/years.

A very shrewd move - none of this detracts from what is obvious TALENT. Having said that I'm not a fan of widdly jazz, Pastorious being the only exception for me - he had soul.

When her name started to rise in the ether I had a quick listen to a couple of tracks on her web site and stopped after a few bars. Just doesn't speak to me :-( I wish it did - but I've just spent the morning listening to Prestia so what do I know?

ttfn

Edited by planethead

Oh dear.

I should be liking this (iPlayer from Ronnie Scotts) as it's my kind of music, but only got to the second track as the drummers insistence of drum-roll fills was starting to p*** me off.

Maybe it's because as an ex-drummer I'm jealous of his skills at incessantly doing that and not getting lost, but I think it was because it got boring very quickly.

This always happens when I watch Jeff Beck gigs. Can't deny the man's got talent, but there's just something about the whole thing that sends me to sleep. Quickly.

Just my own personal opinion of course, not trying to force it on anyone else.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='4000' post='378390' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:39 PM']Arrgghhh. Another one. You're the third person to say that in about 3 weeks (and the last 2 were women). Doesn't make me feel too good as I really fancy her! :blush:[/quote]

If you really fancy her and she's got tiny hands, that should make you feel better

[quote name='drumbloke' post='379200' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:40 PM']Not sure if Jeff has actually played with any 'sh*t hot' bass players ? I know he's always had top class drummers. 'Guitar shop' is one of my favourite Beck albums and only has Guitar Key's and Drums...Still an unparalleled guitarist in my opinion.

Got me tickets for the Mcr Apollo gig in June...yay ^_^[/quote]

What about Randy Hope Taylor and Tim Bogert?

I was lucky enough to grow up in London (E18 on the central line) and every week would go up to the original Marquee.

I reckon I saw Jeff Beck maybe 30 times before I was 20 years old (and Rory Gallagher even more) I've always been and will remain, a huge fan although, all through his early days after the Yardbirds, it was obvious that all the bands were "his" He surrounded himself with great players of the day, but no-one that could upstage him. Still, I suppose when you're that good and respected by world class players, maybe you can afford a bit of an ego.

He remains a truly unique guitarist.

[quote name='leschirons' post='381663' date='Jan 15 2009, 07:57 PM']If you really fancy her and she's got tiny hands, that should make you feel better[/quote]

Oh it does. I do like a girl with tiny hands. :P The bit about her looking 12 still bothers me though! ;)

Edited by 4000

I watched the show when it was shown last year.
I always rated myself as an OK bassist, played for 20 odd years now and "think" I can hold a tune, although the stick I get from the guys in the band might suggest differently. All I can say is, if someone asked me to sit in on that gig I wouldn't have a chance ! I'm in very esteemed company if those that don't rate Tal think they could have stood on that stage and held the groove any better.

[quote name='largo' post='384262' date='Jan 18 2009, 07:10 PM']I watched the show when it was shown last year.
I always rated myself as an OK bassist, played for 20 odd years now and "think" I can hold a tune, although the stick I get from the guys in the band might suggest differently. All I can say is, if someone asked me to sit in on that gig I wouldn't have a chance ! I'm in very esteemed company if those that don't rate Tal think they could have stood on that stage and held the groove any better.[/quote]

I don't think anyone here has claimed that they could do better. I for one was simply dissapointed afetr all the hype I'd heard.

I personally would be happy to play as well as Tal, but that doesn't stop me thinking that there are lots of better bass players out there.

You don't have to be better than someone to have a view on them.

Superb gig, JB's one of my all time favourite players, guitar royalty. I had the pleasure of meeting him once, very nice bloke, and he leaves the likes of Clapton in his wake IMO.

As far as his band goes, I thought they were all top notch, including Tal, who's a very talented bass player, and backed JB up perfectly. That's what she was there to do, not show her chops off to other bass players.

[quote name='Rayman' post='385104' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:05 PM']Superb gig, JB's one of my all time favourite players, guitar royalty. I had the pleasure of meeting him once, very nice bloke, and he leaves the likes of Clapton in his wake IMO.

As far as his band goes, I thought they were all top notch, including Tal, who's a very talented bass player, and backed JB up perfectly. That's what she was there to do, not show her chops off to other bass players.[/quote]

Personally, I'm not convinced that she did complement him that well. I agree that she wasn't there to show off her chops (what bassists are?), but I just found what she did a bit bland and wishy washy.

However, if I may. I'll change my previous comment to say:

"personally would be happy to play as well as Tal, but that doesn't stop me thinking that there are lots bass players [b]I prefer [/b]out there"

Also please note the first part of this comment: I am not saying that she is not a good bassist.