Why become a member? ×

Yet another Shuker build

simontdo

[quote name='simontdo' post='90229' date='Nov 18 2007, 01:04 PM']Its home and I've hardly put it down.

I told Jon I wanted something that sounded like my 78 P bass but played like my stingray.

Well so far it sounds as good if not better than The P Bass, Its got the extra Jazz PU to give me a bit more flexility and it plays fantastic! Way better than the stingray. It even slaps better (not that I undulge in much slapping - just Areoplane in guitar shops :huh: )

I've only tried it on my practice amp at the moment. Can't wait to unleash it on the Ashown rig in the week :wacko:

Compared to the P Bass, its as light as a feather too.[/quote]

Nice result :)

[quote]How are Jon's Precision pups?[/quote]

At the moment I've only tried it though a 60Watt fender practice amp so it's difficlut to say.

Jon's got my P-Bass at the moment so I can't make a direct comparison. I would say they are very similar, maybe a bit more punch.

I've got a practice on thursday with my full rig, so I'll let you know then. :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='90246' date='Nov 18 2007, 01:47 PM']Looks fantastic mate!

How are Jon's Precision pups?

Si[/quote]

Mine's a custom made overwound passive one, same spec as the JJ Burnel P bass he makes.
Mine has a loud fat sound .. Very diferent to my Fender MIA bass that I had before.
It's a fatter sound with more overtones and harmonics.
So IMHO, much better... but then I woudl say that :)

[quote name='simontdo' post='90273' date='Nov 18 2007, 02:34 PM']At the moment I've only tried it though a 60Watt fender practice amp so it's difficlut to say.

Jon's got my P-Bass at the moment so I can't make a direct comparison. I would say they are very similar, maybe a bit more punch.

I've got a practice on thursday with my full rig, so I'll let you know then. :)[/quote]

Glad you got back OK and hear that you are enjoying the bass, it was good to meet you at Jon's on Saturday

[quote]How are Jon's Precision pups?[/quote]

Fantastic!

Tried it though my Ashdown rig last night and it sounds nothing short of amazing :huh:

I'd agree with OldGit, The Precision Pups give a really fat sound. When I play finger style it sounds like the best P Bass you've ever heard. When I play with a pick it justs ROCKS! Not suprisingly, it sounds just like JJ Burnel's sound on the last stranglers album.

What I didn't expect, is that with a bit of the Jazz Pup dialed in (that's overwound to the same spec as the P Pup) it has the fattest slap tone I've ever heard. Its just a shame I'm crap at slapping :) Although I have the feeling I'm going to improve now :huh:

Edited by simontdo