Why become a member? ×

Yet another Shuker build

simontdo

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more pictures from Jon last night.

[attachment=2748:Picture_057.jpg]
[attachment=2749:Picture_058.jpg]
[attachment=2750:Picture_065.jpg]
[attachment=2751:Picture_066.jpg]

He's drilling the neck for the tuners tomorrow.

Funny. My wife doesn't seem as excited about it as me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. me too. I was just going to have just gloss black but Jon had a telecaster in his store that was maple blackburst. It was all bit much for me really. I couldn't help myself. "I want one like that", I said.

I spoke to Jon yesterday and he said it should be finished in a couple of weeks :huh:

At this point I realised it should be ready for our next gig :huh:

I do recall Jon mentioning lacquer and more lacquer and then lacquer again, but my mind was elsewhere at this point :wacko:

Can't wait :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='61523' date='Sep 17 2007, 09:50 AM']Martin Sims is ahead of you there :)

[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/custom_lasers.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/custom_lasers.htm[/url][/quote]

Yes, indeed!

A certain Mr Vai had Martin install a laser in the headstock of one of his signature Ibanez guitars which he sweeps across the audience. These are the same low powered lasers used in laser presentation pointers so they won't harm anyone with such use. Certainly not the same as a famous Mr Goldfinger used on 007! He also wears the finger lasers whilst playing a zillion notes on his SimS equipped LED neck and fingerboard.

Martin used AHEAD aluminium drum sticks and converted them to house both a laser and self-contained battery power supply. He also developed a special switch on the end of each stick that was both easy, robust and reliable to use.

I remember some years ago now that when some of the final prototypes were ready he got the drummer and percussionist touring with Alexander O'Neal to road test them. Both (espcially the drummer) were particularly hard on sticks so this would be a great opportunity to see how the SimS Custom Laser drum sticks fared. They did so superbly. In the middle of the set while Alexander went off stage to change for the rest of the show both his drummer and percussionist would show case their talent in drumming with each other with the lights lowered and copious amount of stage smoke which really showed off the laser drum sticks superbly.

I contacted AHEAD in the USA to discuss this exciting development of their excellent drum sticks on behalf of SimS but the guy at the other end just did not get either the concept or commercial side of this fun piece of kit. Another nuckle-head in the MI industry and an opportunity missed for him!!

Anyhow, if you r game for it give Martin a call. He' not just the LED man but also the LASER man to boot!!

Ciao

Ian

"Mr Bond...I assure you all all bass guitars in the future will benefit from zis cutting edge technology!"

Edited by SMART

• 2 weeks later...

Had an e-mail from Jon last night.

He's just got to level/polish the frets and put it all together.

Looks like my bass will be finished next week :)

That's almost exactly 14 weeks. Seems a lot longer though :huh:

Edited by simontdo

[quote name='simontdo' post='81696' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:54 PM']Had an e-mail from Jon last night.

He's just got to level/polish the frets and put it all together.

Looks like my bass will be finished next week :)

That's almost exactly 14 weeks. Seems a lot longer though :huh:[/quote]

OOOH!
Lucky man .. Mine is due sometime over the next few weeks .....

6 Months! I'd be gibbering wreck :)

Jon did say when I ordered mine that it would be straight forward. He had the Pickups wound locally so there was no delay there.

Did he say why yours has taken so long? Was it puttng the individual sparkles on? :huh:

Nah, 6 months is nothing although quoted time was 12 weeks.
I waited a year for my Sei with a quoted time of 6 months, so it's all relative.

Come to think of it, yeah I am a gibbering wreck...

Nordstrand pickups were about a 6 week delivery I think, but I had hoped he'd order with plenty time to spare.
I'm guessing he had to wait until the latest shuttle launch to gather some stardust for my sparkles, cannae think of any other reason ;0)

S

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='simontdo' post='89315' date='Nov 16 2007, 11:54 AM']I'm off to pick up my Bass from Jon in the morning :huh:

If I go to bed now, do you think the morning will come quicker :)[/quote]

ha ha yeah :huh:

Ah so it's yours he's been doing instead of mine then :huh:
Congrats
I'm off to get mine on Tuesday week .. Just 12 days to go then ....

Its home and I've hardly put it down.

I told Jon I wanted something that sounded like my 78 P bass but played like my stingray.

Well so far it sounds as good if not better than The P Bass, Its got the extra Jazz PU to give me a bit more flexility and it plays fantastic! Way better than the stingray. It even slaps better (not that I undulge in much slapping - just Areoplane in guitar shops :) )

I've only tried it on my practice amp at the moment. Can't wait to unleash it on the Ashown rig in the week :wacko:

Compared to the P Bass, its as light as a feather too.

Anyway here's a few pics...

(Sorry they're a bit crappy quality its a dindgy old dull day)

[attachment=3636:IMAGE_081.jpg]
Orange LEDs bit self indulgent, but who cares.
[attachment=3637:IMAGE_080.jpg]

[attachment=3638:IMAGE_079.jpg]

[attachment=3639:IMAGE_078.jpg]

[attachment=3640:IMAGE_077.jpg]

Off to be alone with it a bit more :wub: