Why become a member? ×

500 watts?

Mentira

So - considering the Hartke LH500 with an 810.
Is 500 watts enough to compete with a big marshall, and an even bigger Rivera guitar cab driving 412s in a metal band?

If so, I'm going for it... If not, Hartke LH1000 awaits... but its 200 quid more...

what do you guys think?
enough power?

cheers
mentira

Have a look around, there's plenty of info on here.

Personally, I'm using a Genz Shuttle 6.0 head and Schroeder 1212L cab which, combine,d comes in at around 58lbs and could go louder than my guitarist who has a 120w Peavey 5150 which weighs as much as a small village if I needed to.

Once you've had a look, you'll realise that it has little to do with watts and more about how efficiently your cab can convert the power to sound

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='yorick' post='377653' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:35 PM']If the ohm ratings match it should be nore than enough. With 8x10 you've got the bottom end and top from the 10s, plus it'll shift a lot of air.[/quote]
I guess they should match if I get the hyperdrive cab built for the head... no?

We've heard loads about the new Hartke heads but not the new cabs. IIRC they're a new design incorporating aluminium and paper in the cones? Best trying them out first as they might not be what you're looking for. I remember the review of the new gear saying they don't have the expected low end of a traditional 8x10, which isn't ideal for such a big heavy cabinet!
The Ampeg 8x10s are very cheap 2nd hand nowadays purely down to the fact that heavy gear is unfashionable and we've all discovered there's no need to lug all that weight around anymore

Don't always think you have to get massive cabs to make serious noise, i've got a similar Schroeder to Delberthot and it's by far the most efficient cab i've tried (i've had 4 Hartke cabs too, VX and XL series).

It's also well documented on this site that the traditional arrangement of 1x15 and 4x10 isn't always the best option. There's some recent threads in this section with loads of great information in

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='378493' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:05 AM']We've heard loads about the new Hartke heads but not the new cabs. IIRC they're a new design incorporating aluminium and paper in the cones? Best trying them out first as they might not be what you're looking for. I remember the review of the new gear saying they don't have the expected low end of a traditional 8x10, which isn't ideal for such a big heavy cabinet!
The Ampeg 8x10s are very cheap 2nd hand nowadays purely down to the fact that heavy gear is unfashionable and we've all discovered there's no need to lug all that weight around anymore

Don't always think you have to get massive cabs to make serious noise, i've got a similar Schroeder to Delberthot and it's by far the most efficient cab i've tried (i've had 4 Hartke cabs too, VX and XL series).

It's also well documented on this site that the traditional arrangement of 1x15 and 4x10 isn't always the best option. There's some recent threads in this section with loads of great information in[/quote]

that's awesome. we'd def need the low end - all the guitars are drop C... a high sounding bass cab wouldn't work... will have a look around here some more!

[quote name='Mentira' post='377641' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:28 PM']So - considering the Hartke LH500 with an 810.
Is 500 watts enough to compete with a big marshall, and an even bigger Rivera guitar cab driving 412s in a metal band?[/quote]

If there is a volume war you will always lose on bass and if you manage to miraculously win it'll be a hollow victory. 500W pushing a sensitive cab that can really handle all that power will be loud (bear in mind that requires sufficient cone excursion - hardly any cabs rated at 500W can actually cleanly handle 500W in the lows where you need it).

Although you can certainly get big loud deep bottom from lightweight cabs you cannot get it from small cabs. I know what I'd want to use but I'll stay quiet on specifics.

Alex

all sorted thanks guys!

got a Hartke LH500 for £184 including free next day delivery... [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product_large.php?product=harlh500"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_p...roduct=harlh500[/url]

and an Ashdown MAG 810 cab brand new for £270 from a friend who works at Reverb...

So for £450 I reckon I have done okay... I think... ;)

[quote name='Mentira' post='378769' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:20 AM']all sorted thanks guys!

got a Hartke LH500 for £184 including free next day delivery... [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product_large.php?product=harlh500"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_p...roduct=harlh500[/url]

and an Ashdown MAG 810 cab brand new for £270 from a friend who works at Reverb...

So for £450 I reckon I have done okay... I think... ;)[/quote]

thats pretty damned sweet for a 500w 810 rig!

plus 810's rule wish i had the money and space to get one!

My rig used to consist of a 1x15 and 4x10.After reading the threads that lemmywinks mentioned i tried 2 4x10's and the results were very good indeed.I get a lot more clarity at the bottom end and very nice midrange bark using the 2 410's.Just for interests sake would running 2x 410's be the same as 1 8x10 ?? It's just got me thinking is all.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='380413' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:46 PM']My rig used to consist of a 1x15 and 4x10.After reading the threads that lemmywinks mentioned i tried 2 4x10's and the results were very good indeed.I get a lot more clarity at the bottom end and very nice midrange bark using the 2 410's.Just for interests sake would running 2x 410's be the same as 1 8x10 ?? It's just got me thinking is all.[/quote]
It obviously depends on the cabs but I have always thought of 2 4x10's as an 8x10 in installments :P

Glad someone has benefitted from me banging on about mixing cabs ;)

The Ampeg 8x10 design works so well because each pair of 10 inch speakers is in its own sealed space i.e. 4 lots of 2x10's.
If you remove the grille you will see these 'compartments'. I've always felt that this had a lot to do with why they sound so good,
especially as the speakers themselves are nothing special-for some reason it just works when you get 8 of them in that cabinet!
So maybe not quite the same as stacking 2 cabinets with 4x10's in?

[quote name='casapete' post='380546' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:45 PM']The Ampeg 8x10 design works so well because each pair of 10 inch speakers is in its own sealed space i.e. 4 lots of 2x10's.
If you remove the grille you will see these 'compartments'. I've always felt that this had a lot to do with why they sound so good,
especially as the speakers themselves are nothing special-for some reason it just works when you get 8 of them in that cabinet!
So maybe not quite the same as stacking 2 cabinets with 4x10's in?[/quote]
Thats why I said it depends on the cabs. Some Ampeg 4x10's are built the same way as the 8x10's. Not all 8x10's are built like Ampegs.

Well mine are only cheap cabs,Hartke TP's.I bought one a couple of years back when i started playing and i aquired another new one FOC.Four celestion BL10's went in the freebie and the result is a very nice contrast between the paper cones of the bottom cab and the alli ones in the top.
Works for me anyhoo. ;)