Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 810e

andy67

Ordered myself one of these today! :P

seeing as we have a load of oldies and goldies who have probably used one or two in their time...whaddya make of them?

please remember I'm not a young thing either so no getting on high horses please! ;)

andy

[quote name='ARGH' post='376285' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:26 PM']Hmmm...Took them long enough to put wheels in didnt they...
Used Ampeg twice,pricey,ok...just alot of what they sell isnt a genuine Ampeg.[/quote]

yep! most made in Vietnam these days...think you would have to go back to late 70's - at least - for a proper one!

[quote name='andy67' post='376300' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:43 PM']yep! most made in Vietnam these days...think you would have to go back to late 70's - at least - for a proper one![/quote]
You can get the real deal,its just a bomb in dosh,and its only 'Classic' heads......

Had an SVT rig in the late 80's - it was early 80's manufacture I think. From a time when there was only the 300 watt head and 8x10 cab that was
called SVT I believe.
Without a doubt the best amplification I've ever used-full,loud,articulate and looked amazing too!
Have used later models which were all okay too, although these were USA manufacture. (cant vouch for the far eastern stuff)

There has to be reason why some 40 years after they were first introduced the Ampeg SVT is still an industry standard - look on stage at festivals,
gigs,TV shows etc and you will see them still being utilised by top bands,hire companies etc.

Reason I had to get rid of mine was portability mainly, with the amp head weighing nearly as much as the cab (or so it felt!).
Otherwise I would still be using it now.

I think they’re great – I’d almost go as far to say that an Ampeg 8x10 powered by an SVT-VR would be my ultimate bass tone, but I’d never invest the cash cos I’d be paying the ultimate price of a bad back for the rest of my life; so f***ing heavy and inconvenient. Even the 4x10 HLF cab with the SVT-CL was too heavy/inconvenient for me; if I can’t comfortably manage to move my rig myself then it’s too heavy. Incredible sound though - when I can pay some roadies I'll get myself back in the Ampeg all valve club...

[quote name='Buzz' post='380384' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:28 PM']See, I do ponder if a Neo 8x10 would make it a helluva lot more managable by shaving off a fair number of kilos. Food for thought.[/quote]

Not by as much as you'd think because the type of woofers used in sealed cabs have relatively small magnets and thus stamped frames, both of which save weight compared to larger magnet cast frame drivers as found in similary priced ported cabs. The biggest difference would be through changing the construction of the box itself to thinner ply with more bracing.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380409' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:45 PM']Not by as much as you'd think because the type of woofers used in sealed cabs have relatively small magnets and thus stamped frames, both of which save weight compared to larger magnet cast frame drivers as found in similary priced ported cabs. The biggest difference would be through changing the construction of the box itself to thinner ply with more bracing.

Alex[/quote]
Imagina a bareface[b]dB[/b]ass 8x10... Ooooh. ;)

[quote name='Merton' post='380423' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:51 PM']Imagina a bareface[b]dB[/b]ass 8x10... Ooooh. ;)[/quote]

I have wondered about that but I think we need to get The Vintage and an 8x10" side by side and see if there are any pros to the old school design. I think it might be too close to call on tone and The Vintage can clearly go louder and lower.

Alex

I bought a 70's 8x10 back in 1986 for £150, I had only been playing a year and knew it was a bargain, even back then.
I went to pick it up, having never seen or lifted one before, I nearly sh*t myself. ;)
I used it for about a year but kept it in a lock up at rehearsals but then bought a Peavey Combo 300 as it was so easy to cart around.
I sold it to Hesseys in Liverpool and forgot about it.
In 1992 our band got a deal and I immediately bought an SVT II, I then looked for a cab to match it and asked the guys who ran our rehearsal rooms (Crash) if they knew of any, they told me that they had an old SVT cab that they hire out that I could have and guess what, it was my old one. :P
If I had help to move an SVT rig around I wolud have one again, because they look so cool but I now use a Tech Soundsystems 6x10, which weighs 99 lbs less and sounds (to my ears) 99 times better.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380514' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:08 PM']I have wondered about that but I think we need to get The Vintage and an 8x10" side by side and see if there are any pros to the old school design. I think it might be too close to call on tone and The Vintage can clearly go louder and lower.

Alex[/quote]
Yeah, I think a bareface[b]dB[/b]ass 8x10 is kind of anathema to your business model a little!

thats really interesting stuff Alex!

I've often wondered what the difference would be considering the main weight would centre around cabinet construction.

My 810 wieghs in at 140lbs which is 44lbs less than my previous 2 x 410he cabs, so now my task for today is to find out how much various 810 neo's would wiegh and what kind of construction would be incorporated for reducing wieght all round.

andy

Wee bit further info:

Ashdown Neo 810 cabinet - 60kg
Warwick 811 ND - 51kg
EBs Classic line 810 - 55kg (non neo speakers)
Ampeg SVt Classic (non neo) - 140lbs
Hartke HX810 - HyDrive Bass Cabinet - 135lbs
Mark bass CL 108 neo - 40.8kg
Aguilar db810 - 184lb (non neo)
Mesa 810 powerhouse - 173lbs (non neo)
Marshall MBC810 - 70kg (non neo)
Laney Nexus810 neo 46.5kg
Gallien Kruger 810blx - 158lbs (non neo)
Hughes and Kettner Q810pro - 62kg
Fender 810pro - 72.5kg (non neo)
Trace Elliot 1084h - 66kg

for ease of use the Mark bass 810 is the clear winner on weight, the loser at a whopping 184lbs is aguilar.

to be clear, I looked at the websites of all these manufacturer's and took the lowest weight 810 cab.
If I have missed anything please correct.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='381046' date='Jan 15 2009, 10:07 AM']Wee bit further info:

Ashdown Neo 810 cabinet - 60kg
Warwick 811 ND - 51kg
EBs Classic line 810 - 55kg (non neo speakers)
Ampeg SVt Classic (non neo) - 140lbs
Hartke HX810 - HyDrive Bass Cabinet - 135lbs
Mark bass CL 108 neo - 40.8kg
Aguilar db810 - 184lb (non neo)
Mesa 810 powerhouse - 173lbs (non neo)
Marshall MBC810 - 70kg (non neo)
Laney Nexus810 neo 46.5kg
Gallien Kruger 810blx - 158lbs (non neo)
Hughes and Kettner Q810pro - 62kg
Fender 810pro - 72.5kg (non neo)

for ease of use the Mark bass 810 is the clear winner on weight, the loser at a whopping 184lbs is aguilar.

to be clear, I looked at the websites of all these manufacturer's and took the lowest weight 810 cab.
If I have missed anything please correct.

andy[/quote]

EBS have just brought out their neo 810 which is 54kg so 1 kg lighter than their classic line ;)

Doesn't seem much their, but compared to their proline on at 68kg, thats a massive difference!

Jake