Why become a member? ×

Smooth/quiet nickel rounds?

franzbassist

35 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Half rounds and groundwounds make noise when you run your fingers over them

Yep, totally get that, but surely some are smoother/quieter than others?

26 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

What are tapewounds all about? I've never tried them (or heard them for that matter!) 😁

They are normally roundwound strings clad in a nylon flatwound tape.  I love them on my fretless, but I want something with a litle more tension hence the question about rounds.

• Thanks 1

Possibly worth a look at TI rounds - by far the quietest I've played (low tension too if that's your thing).  I use them on fretless and have been very pleased with the results.  Alembic too are quiet as Jazzyvee suggests - possibly a function of the elliptical wrap?  Alembic don't supply the gauge that I'd prefer (very light) but they're high quality strings. 

2 hours ago, three said:

Possibly worth a look at TI rounds - by far the quietest I've played (low tension too if that's your thing).  I use them on fretless and have been very pleased with the results.  Alembic too are quiet as Jazzyvee suggests - possibly a function of the elliptical wrap?  Alembic don't supply the gauge that I'd prefer (very light) but they're high quality strings. 

Though I'm a fan of TI flats (on the right bass, of course) I found TI rounds even lower tension, and I just couldn't get on with them at all
For my playing, there was little or no "resistance" and "recovery" of normal string position was off-putting - at least for my playing
So I've a set going, if anyone wants to try them.... I tried them on a couple of basses, but just didn't gel with them at all

Not sure what the quietest rounds I've played are, but I seem to remember playing some strings (which may have been "Elites") which were quiet - but I've a feeling they were not nickel, and may have been chrome?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Though I'm a fan of TI flats (on the right bass, of course) I found TI rounds even lower tension, and I just couldn't get on with them at all
For my playing, there was little or no "resistance" and "recovery" of normal string position was off-putting - at least for my playing
So I've a set going, if anyone wants to try them.... I tried them on a couple of basses, but just didn't gel with them at all

Not sure what the quietest rounds I've played are, but I seem to remember playing some strings (which may have been "Elites") which were quiet - but I've a feeling they were not nickel, and may have been chrome?

I’d agree re: TI rounds and tension. I play with a very light touch so fine for me. A more aggressive style may be more problematic. A very kind offer too - these are nearly £50 a set!

• Like 1