Why become a member? ×

I just don't know what to do with my Sei

d-basser

I've had a few Seis with the Bart-Schack combination and haven't been wildly impressed (apart from stunning aesthetics and fabulous playability!) The basses sounded great on their own - if a little 'polite' - but lacked something in a performance setting. The Sei (Jazz) I have at the moment has Wizard customs and a Bart pre - I couldn't really be much happier: it has a thick and lush tone with plenty of power and bite. I'd certainly think about changing both pickups and preamp in your Sei if finances allow - maybe Alan at ACG could fit one of his own circuits and his own pickups (you may get close to an ACG tone?)

dont think Alan does mods and repairs, he prefers saving his time for building new basses.
Might drop Martin an email see what he recommends and give wizard a shout.

thanks for all the good ideas, have to save my pennies, all of this is just fantasy till I have cash

I would be reluctant to mod something like a Sei scared of breaking something. Martin would be the man to see about it and I can certainly supply a pre-amp to Martin if you still wanted one. I have been in touch with him a few times about the pre-amp so it would be no problem.
Alan

Wow! I always wondered who owned this particular bass! I remember looking at it in the Sei page over and over! I fell in love with Buckeye when I saw this bass! - Especially with the birdseye board! My first Shuker was a Buckeye.. gawjuss! Makes me wanna get another one with the same top and facings!

Anyway.. on topic.. I too am not a particular fan of Barts and feel that there's a lot more to get from your bass with different pups/ pre. I've always been a fan of EMG's but I know they are not everyones faves..

Good luck with the upgrade and would love to hear which route you follow.

Current plan, which looking at finances is gonna be a long term one, is to look into some wizards and an ACG 02 pre then get Martin to fit it all and give the bass an a wee set up etc since she must be getting on in years. Can always tell my girlfriend we are going to London to visit the zoo ;)

[quote name='lozbass' post='385037' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:11 PM']I've had a few Seis with the Bart-Schack combination and haven't been wildly impressed (apart from stunning aesthetics and fabulous playability!)[/quote]+1 on the last bit. I had a gorgeous Sei Flamboyant for a while, this had the Bart-Schack Combination (isn't that a strategic move in Mornington Crescent..?) and like others I was v.underwhelmed by the Barts. The saving grace was the Schack eq which I did like a lot, plus the bass had an ABM piezo bridge which improved the sound of the Barts no end. If I'd kept the bass, I'd have lost the Barts in favour of EMGs.
Although nowadays, I'd probably think in terms of Delanos rather than EMGs -- I tried a Shuker with Delanos a while back and the sound was god-like.

ordered my ACG pre and it will head my way when John isnt hampered by snow.
Still looking at pickups, Delanos are very tempting but they seem wired for coil tapping and while this would make my bass nice and versatile it require drilling holes.
Was almost set on some qtuners till I saw that the dimensions are wrong, 4mm too short and 4mm too wide, grrrrrr they are perfect otherwise